Infinite Possibility...

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Tammylita, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KAbooMx0rz Merlin's Housekeeper

I know. Like what if our storeis, our nightmares, our thoughts become creations - somewhere out there.

2. Inasuma "pumpkin"

I don't know if something like that could be possible. I hardly think I'll be able to see something like that in my life time, or understand it either.

Is the entirety of the universe infinite? I'd like to think so. Not sure if that allows the possibility of fictional stories and such to be real, however. If that were the case we'd have some seriously epic worlds going on. And I'd move to the planet with KH on it. :'D

3. sepirothpk Merlin's Housekeeper

According to most scientists, the universe is not endless. Otherwise, how can it expand or shrink? And you wouldn't be able to go to another universe because you would disrupt its order

4. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

None of this can be proven. We still don't know whether the probable collapse of the universe will result from it simply stopping and breaking down or folding in on itself (which implies growth over such an unfathomable time that it seems nearly infinite). The concept is not only reality based, but temporal as well. If you could travel back in time to a point where the current reality bridged from the infinite number of possibilities you could theoretically alter the outcome. For example, what if you never made the post I am responding too? Infinite possibilities imply just that; the idea of restriction on infinity is by all logical account impossible. That being said, there is an alternate universe where you have traveled to another reality and not disrupted it just as there is one where your journey causes a disruption. Any and everything is probable, and within the basis of this idea anything and everything is possible.

5. Xert Traverse Town Homebody

He's got a point

6. Xendran Banned

if there are billions of universes, then, in one of thsoe different ones, everythign oculd be differe,t and possibly beyond the understanding of the human mind/imagination.

7. sepirothpk Merlin's Housekeeper

well thats kinda what i thought. When I said it here, though, I meant by the laws of our universe. It would be possible by some other universes laws. Maybe there's a universe where anyone who trys to travel to another, they must go through

8. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Lol, proof please.

9. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Unfortunately there isn't any (I'm too tired to discern troll from serious. I'm sure you understand). We've gone well passed the abilities of science and are now treading in philosophical waters. With that in mind, there is a possible world where that all works out. What's even more possible is that we exist in the one and only possible world where the laws restrict this.

10. sepirothpk Merlin's Housekeeper

Well, there I can point something out. It isn't more likely that there is only one universe. We have no proof to turn the debate either ways. Remember, a few decades ago,someone once said "All that can be built, has been built" or something along those lines. And now look at the world! Science is constantly changing and everything in science is a theory, noone can prove that we even exist. We all might be an illusion.

11. xeno Merlin's Housekeeper

Although I probably don't have anything that will contribute to this topic, I'll still give my 2 cents...even though some if not most has already been stated

On the subject of infinite possibilities, I was first introduced to this concept a bit before I was five, in the form of time travel, how this works is that with each travel through time there are more and more lines of history made hence alternate universes/parallel universes.

Lately I have been thinking on this specific topic of whether or not fictional characters actually could exist and I had thought why not?

Since we exist and no-one can guarantee anythings existence, they could exist to those who belive it exists because they are those who search for it, whereas those who dont believe do not search for it. (I know its cheesy but still)

Or certain alternate realities could exist where others don't.

For example a universe such as Kingdom Hearts constantly disobeys physics via magic so it might not exist on this specific level, but Gundam, for example might exist as a parallel universe because the only way it defies physics is with what we know, which is rockets for flying but I don't watch gundam on a daily basis so I am uncertain.

Regardless of what is or is not there are sometimes sets of rules implemented to make sure that things are not thrown out of whack, but then maybe they are there to be thrown out of whack.

But in short my philosophy is that anything is possible at this point since it has been created in our minds eye.

There are many theories that state the universe is just one big marble and there is an infinite amount of anything outside of the marble, due to the size of somethings outside of it, but then there are others that state we are all inside of ourselves due to atoms being alternate universes in themselves.(due to the theory that atoms are actually active and not inactive)

Thus we might all be made of these alternate universes or ourselves, and their lifetime is over in an instant and instantly replaced with another one faster then the fastest thing could possibly be seen.

Despite this there is one truth for now, (I think anyway) that truth is that the universe limits us based on what we know by allowing us to learn more.

thats my two cents, I apologize if its nonsensical I just tried to wright what came to me after thinking on it for so long....
    but then there is the possibility that I am right but then theres an equal chance that I am wrong.

12. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

If we can understand the possibility of our world being framed in an infinite number of ways then we can just as easily assume that the universe can do so also. The only issue is that because we have such a finite understanding of reality we simply cannot fathom what it would truly entail

Also I wouldn't go as far as to jump to the possibility that none of this is real and that we're all a part of some elaborate thought process of a computer or someone else's imagination. We generally and inherently function under the premise that what we perceive and experience is genuine and in fact real. The onus is then placed on the skeptic to prove that our current reality and existence is not real. It may be based on assumption but it comes with justified true belief as surely as we are able to sleep at night knowing that the sun will rise in the morning.

13. Xendran Banned

Im just not sure about new universal laws. i mean cmon, why would the law of gravity magically become nonexistant somewhere else?

14. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

It's simply a probable outcome. There's no breakdown of how-- if there was we wouldn't be debating it. However, we do recognize some things as being"necessary" in order for there to be a universe and gravity is thought to be one of those things. But this only comes from an assertion through finite means. We can imagine a universe where gravity does not exist but we'd know nothing else else of it; we could only assert that in all infinite outcomes that it is probable for gravity to not exist in some universe, albeit very slim. Due to our finite point of view and limited understanding however we simply can't fathom such a thing, but we can acknowledge it as an outcome.

15. Xert Traverse Town Homebody

What if your own mind was a world? it would be rather strange to see all your thoughts befor you

16. Xendran Banned

You can see all of your thoughs before you as soon as you think them, they are just not visible to anybody else.

17. sepirothpk Merlin's Housekeeper

Look, everything we say is real is based on faith. We don't know anything for sure, but take for granted that we believe it is. Therefore, anything can be real, or nothing at all. That's why I choose to believe. I believe what I see exists. I believe somethings I don't see, like god, exist. I also believe it's possible that a lot of things exist. But I don't dwell to much on some of them.

18. Mielé Banned

thats a pretty good theory, i was once wondering the same thing...
    if that really was the case though, then that might be the explaination for aliens >w>

19. Bakuyuru Merlin's Housekeeper

Much like the philosopher Descartes, except that he refused to just believe it was real, stubborn as he was. He said that the is no innate "being" of anything. There is no "deskness" of a desk, therefor it is not a desk, but rather just a function. And through that, he tries to prove that nothing we perceive is real, but just some idea, some illusion.

20. Quiet Elegy This is the death of beauty.

Well I have to admit, nobody knows the answer so it is still open to question and think about. Although I would assume every planet in our galaxy, and in any others would still follow the same basic rules as our own, like every action has a equal and opposite reaction, and all those things. Another thing is I highly doubt that any planet would be like ours with inhabitants like ours, even just looking at our world, though evolution most of the the animals in Australia are compleatly different than the ones found in..oh say South America, even though all the continents where once one (Pangea, the super continent). I believe there is a possiblility that there are other plantets with life but they would be nothing like our own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.