Imagination...should it leave us?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Sync, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Sync Merlin's Housekeeper

I wanna know if imagination is out of the picture for older people. I have an endless imagination that I never stop thinking about. Do some people stop that? Or do they just hide it... Post ASAP.

2. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I beleive that imagination is somethng that keeps us from going insane. When we think of our lives, we imagine the impact that we can leave on someone. Not only that, it helps transform the world that we are living in. Don't beleive me; well here are a few people who thought otherwise: Walt Disney, Bill Gates, Steve Jobbs, and Tsugumi Ohba. The list goes on endlessly but those are a few examples that I could think at the top of my head. Yes, sometimes our imaginations can go a little crazy. Like when you think your significant other is cheating on you so you think of the worst possible scenario.

Going to get a little religous in the spoiler, so just a heads up. Can't say I didn't gave a fair warning.
    I think God still has His imagination. He created the world for goodness sakes, every last detail of it. Look up at the stars at night or look at how your hand follows every movement that you are thinking of it to do. That's creativity which spawns from imagination. Or how about the story of Moses, where God tells him to lead the Choosen People out of Egypt. He didn't think he was cut out for it, but he imagined the kinds of things God could do through him, which allowed him to put his trust in God.

As for me, I constantly imagine what God will do in my life. I can imagine myself helping people in any way I can because I feel called to do it. Through imagination, realistic goals can be set. My goal is to be a high school teacher or a youth pastor. Because we want our imagination to become a reality, we work hard to make it happen.

If you didn't open the spoiler tag, I basically said that we imagine what life can be like sometimes and we are driven to make it a reality. Imagination should be embraced by everybody on earth!

3. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

It's not necessarily age that is the cause of 'leaving imagination'.
    With older age comes many more common health problems, both physical and mental, which can lead to degradation of the brain and certain functions may not work as they once had, which could include imagination. However, not all older people suffer such complications instead the brain may function in the same manner it has for their whole life and continue to do so till death.
    But no, old age is not a signal for the loss of imaagination, it all comes backdown to health of the individual and whether they are able to sustain appropriate brain fgunctions as they grow older.

Not true. Atleast about you saying that imagination stops us from going crazy.
    For starters, some of the greatest and most imaginative people in history were either speculated to or have been diagnosed with some form of mental illness. To list but a few:
    - Winston Churchill
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald
    - Abraham Lincoln
    - Michelangelo
    - Tennesse Williams
    - Beethoven
    - T.S Elliot

Their disorders didn't stop them from being creative or imaginative in their own fields of expertise, sometimes it even helps having a lucid mind, not restricted by common mainstream thought which allowed them to 'think outside the box'. But I don't think that imagination helps stop insanity. Nothing can keep it back, but coping, disciplining and controlling it can happen. That's what imagination can help with.

4. Jayn

No. I don't. I don't believe, unless something is wrong with you, that you can stop your imagination. Granted, it changes. But it's natural to fantasize and imagine. Naturally people ask and wonder, "What if?" And imagine certain outcomes. Physically, I don't know that you can just stop processing information in such a way. As for hiding it, yes, I think people do that a tad bit more than they should at times. But humans are constantly creating and utilizing.

5. Accalia Gummi Ship Junkie

I believe that imagination never truly leaves us. People suppress it but what writes your resume or your next school paper?
    You certainly can't write a resume without a little imagination. Your resume represents you and you have to have a little imagination to be able to write it.
    The same goes for your next school paper.
    How do you think we have anime or cartoons?
    Through logic and thinking? No!

6. Inasuma "pumpkin"

I think those who care enough about it keep it forever. Everyone has it and has an equal potential, in my mind at least, but some lose sight of it somewhere down the line.

7. Saxima [screams geometrically]

"Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." -Walt Disney

Imagination is the basis for life. If you can imagine it, you can do it - it's just that simple. Why would/should you have to stop using it and expressing it when you grow up? Is it because your living a monotone day to day life as an adult? That's not cool...it's not fun either.

8. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

No, imagination never leaves us I don't think, it's not like deteriorating eyesight (unless of course you suffer from a mental illness which prevents imaginative thinking). Well, this is what I like to think, imagination is part of your intellectual development, which unlike physical development only increases.

I believe I am quite creative and I do let my imagination run wild, I always create scenarios in my head which could never happen or just think of different stories. It makes me happy a lot of the time so I hope it never leaves me, I just hope it doesn't drive me insane.

9. Daxa~ #stalker

I think imagination is,and always be,with us. And sure,sometimes its not really a good thing(like when you imagine bad things happening to people you love,or,as Im sure we all have,imagined monsters in your room at night) but without it,we would really be nothing.
    It helps us draw,write,think,love.
    Its always there,and is as much apart of us as our heart,or brain.
    And as you get older,I dont think it does leave you(though I wont know until I am old). I just think it changes,and you dont express it that much.

10. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

I think he meant insane in a bad way. You know, like serial killers and racists, stuff like that. I do agree, however, that the good kind of insanity is what helps the world grow, evolve, and get better overall. It's just one more thing that shows how too many disorders are misclassified as disabilities. Sure this person can't learn to do this thing in this way. But that only means a new and possibly better way to learn it will be figured out, perhaps even by him.

11. Sho Marufuji Merlin's Housekeeper

I think that many people lost their imagination after a certain age. It's a sad when that does happen. I haven't lost mine yet so I hope no one else has.

12. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

Imagination doesn't disappear after a certain age. It doesn't, I just think many (older) people choose to ignore their imagination when they get older, because they think they need to "snap out" of an imaginary world. But hey, the people coming up with anime, manga and Video games are rarely young. Satoshi Tajiri, for example, was 35 when he came up with Pokémon(1990). It's now 20 years later, he's 56 and generation 5 is out, yes, he's not the only one coming up with the monsters, but he's still a video game designer!

13. Bubble Master Califa Hollow Bastion Committee

Oh I remember a good quote relating to this topic in a sense...this is like a paraphrase of it:

"We don't stop playing with toys because we grow up. We grow up because we stop playing with toys"

I think imagination is with us constantly and some people shut it down because of work, running a house, being a parent, etc. But it still exists in everyone and it's such a sacred gift and ability and should never leave us. Respect your mind and it's wonders, it's a beautiful thing.