i hate shakespeare

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by gintasthebest, Feb 8, 2014.

1. gintasthebest Traverse Town Homebody

so don't ask why i'm trying to write a song about the play "Hamlet". prob cuz i'm trying to get to 70 songs by the end of the month. i need 3 more song ideas. i feel like i've written about just about everything i can think of. most songs are not happy. like my life.... keep me occupied while i think of more song ideas i haven't done yet and while i look through spark notes so i actually understand what they're saying so i can get ideas to put into the song.

it's been almost a year since i had to read it for english class but even then most of it wasn't in modern enlgish so i was totally clueless. stupid thousand line soliloquy that could've been said in 2 sentences

2. Sara Tea Drinker

Ugh...

I hated Shakespeare when I was growing up... My classes demanded I did a play per year, and see the movie... *though Romeo and Juliet was interesting since they tried to skip over the "adult parts" and one student saw all of it in our class* It was so boring...

Though I always loved: "A Midsummer's Night Dream".

3. gintasthebest Traverse Town Homebody

I kinda liked Romeo and Juliet. We got to see the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio in it. It was also freshman year so it was was just easier I think. School really needs to stop trying to force us to read stuff we barely understand in modern english. I had to memorize part of Hamlet's To Be or Not To Be soliloquy last year for extra credit. I rocked it :D The teacher tried to record it and I was like "NO! Someone take her phone away! Hide me!!!"

Never did "A midsummer's Night Dream". I did Romeo and Juliet freshman year, Macbeth sophomore year, Othello junior year, and then finally Hamlet senior year, which was last year. So glad I'm done with school. Now I have my retail job with customers that scare me :/

4. Plums Wakanda Forever

SparkNotes actually has a "No Fear Shakespeare" section that has all of his works reworded for a more modern audience. At the end of the day though, Shakespearean English is something that you come to understand more clearly the more you read it. I struggled with it a bit in 9th and the first half of 10th grade, but by the time we got to Much Ado about Nothing (I love this play so much), I didn't really need to rely on the NFS unless I didn't do the reading.

5. Anixe Hollow Bastion Committee

Ugh, dat crazy Shakespeare, Inventing words and shit and making everything in iambic pentagram or whatever that's called.

j/k I < 3 it

6. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

With the exception of Hamlet, I usually found stuff by Shakespeare to be complete crap. Maybe it was because of my teachers forcing it on us, I don't know, but they're things I'd rather forget.

7. gintasthebest Traverse Town Homebody

I was looking through the "No Fear Shakespeare" but it still doesn't make much sense. This is gonna one of those songs that takes me awhile to do... which I hate. I didn't find out about NFS until junior year cuz the teacher had all the plays as books but they were all NFS. Made it a lot easier, but still confusing.[DOUBLEPOST=1391913928][/DOUBLEPOST]

ikr and yet he's famous for it.[DOUBLEPOST=1391914102][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Maybe it was because it the last one I did before graduating, but at that point it was just like... "can we skip to the end and find out who all dies and how? cuz I'm pretty sure most of the other stuff is just useless info that we won't remember by tomorrow"

8. Sara Tea Drinker

Mine was always classic. No "modernization".

9. gintasthebest Traverse Town Homebody

My teacher sophomore year tried that with us. And we also watched the movie and had to take a test on it. If we didn't get to take the test while watching the movie, almost all of would've failed. Could've understand a word of any of it.

10. What? 『 music is freedom 』

Sometimes Shakespeare takes a hit-or-miss approach for high school students, and I can understand how unapproachable his Early Modern English style can be. When you get into the depth of it and come to understand it, some of Shakespeare's plays, I find, are absolutely profound and thought-provoking while simultaneously being filled with the crudest sex jokes imaginable. Being a toilet philosopher certainly takes some skill. But anyhow, I feel, more than anything, the aim of teaching Shakespeare should be to note both the writing style and the content overall. At times I feel some schools skip out on the latter strictly in favour of the former without allowing their students to understand which is unfortunate. Perhaps in the future you may gain a more favourable light on it, or perhaps not for good reason, such as his writing or humour simply not being your cup of tea. People see profound beauty in different ways. I wish you the best of luck with your schoolwork.

11. gintasthebest Traverse Town Homebody

lol i've been out of school for months now. Shakespeare just might never make any sense to me. It's one of those things I doubt I'll ever actually use in life. Like box and whisker plots in math, or geometry.

12. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I don't know how anyone can hate Shakespeare when he gives us such gems as "Exit, pursued by a bear."

13. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

This, a thousand times, THIS!!!

14. Laurence_Fox Chaser

My experience with Shakespeare was mostly 'We don't really give a rat's ass so let's make this one person do all the big speaking parts'. I was the only person that didn't sound like a Speak n' Spell when we read out loud. I liked Shakespeare. We read Julius Ceaser, Macbeth, and Taming of the Shrew. I'm missing one but I don't remember what it was.

15. gintasthebest Traverse Town Homebody

Which I have never heard of :p[DOUBLEPOST=1391915839][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Thank you! I almost failed math that marking period cuz of box and whisker plots. Someone who actually understands it's pointless![DOUBLEPOST=1391916175][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I had similar probs. I was the best out loud reader all 4 years of english classes. But I had the same teacher junior and senior year and anytime I read out loud that class, I got m&ms :D

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  16. 61 No. B

I enjoy his stories but they're a pain in the ass to read. As if the language he uses wasn't a pain enough, I can't stand reading plays. Give me a Shakespeare novel in prose any day but please for the love of god don't make me read a play of his.

17. Laurence_Fox Chaser

Well considering the majority, if not all, of his stories were intended to be acted out by costumed performers... That's just how things were back then. A lot of people in those days couldn't read all that well so they'd go to the local theatre to see plays.

And the women in his stories? Their parts were acted out by men or boys. Yes even Juliet.

18. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Look up William Shakespeare's Land of the Dead. Pokes a lot of fun at the subject, whether you enjoy his works or not.

19. 61 No. B

yeah im aware of the historical context

20. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Hey, at least it's not Old or Middle English. That ****'s crazy hard.