I Can't Study For My Life

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by Advent, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

I saw my grades drop pretty badly this year. They went from all A's to A's and B's. Not a huge deal yet, however I don't want it to get worse. I need your guys' help. How can I beat my laziness and procrastination and actually study?

2. Ansem59 Chaser

I have this same problem... but to a worse degree... all you have to do is talk to your parents... and say: I NEED TO STUDY! and they'll help you... see, they will keep you focused... they'll lock you in your room if they have to and stand over you and study with you! if your parents really love you, they will help you study.

I had to ask my parents to help me study, and let me tell you... it helped alot! trust me, parents aren't there to just be an annoyence (which they can be some times) they are there to help!

3. Fallen King Kingdom Keeper

NoMethod Error `stupid_location' for nil:NilClass
    Well all you need to do is study more, and well if you don't, your grades will slowly start drop, and you don't want that. Maybe your just getting bored with school or something, thats what happened to me this year, and i don't want that to happen again, so what i did was, everyday i would study a little on each subject, and that way i got more time to study each subject, and i could study all the subjects each day. Don't they have some kind of discipline system or something, in my school we have what is called SAC, its like In School Suspension, if your grades drop steadily you will get SAC, thats what motivated me to study more, if my grades dropped steadily i would get SAC, so i studied more each day.

4. The Twin My, what a strange duet

I have a couple tips that helped me in some manner, shape or form:

*Make a pact with yourself. Tell yourself that you can't go see a movie, for example, until after you've studied. That way, you're motivated (somewhat) to break out the books.

*Find a study strategy that works best for you. Flash cards, self-quizzes, and the like help more than just staring at the same page for a half an hour. And chances are you'll remember important facts better if you us them.

* Get together with a few of your friends and have a study group. You can break out snacks and drinks, and maybe order pizza or something later. This way, if one of your friends is very good in science, for exmaple, but weak in English, and you vice versa, you can teach each other. Corny, I know, but that's how I aced many college exams.

Hope that helps some.

5. Jayn

I'm horrible at studying myself. Some things that help is going somewhere quiet to study and relax. Make sure it's a nice, clean, QUIET place.
    Sometimes I turn on my music too. It makes it a little more entertaining.
    It's nice to set up a particular time when you're going to start to study and when you're going to stop.
    To make it a little more interesting as well, I sometimes call my classmates who have the same classes and ask to do it with them. (Don't try the last one if you and your friends will get off task quickly xD)
    But yeah. Just some ideas. I hope I helped a bit.

6. Repliku Chaser

The tips here are great and also you may want to try to find something 'interesting' in the classes you have to take so that you have a will to study more again. It could be that school classes have become kind of redundant to you and that interest just is waning. I agree that talking to your parents on plans to help you study might be a good idea as well as making yourself a sort of ritual pact like 'I won't do this fun thing until after I do this mandatory thing' as Nashida said.

Another idea may be to go to the teacher sometime of classes you feel are dropping and ask the teacher why he/she chose the field of study that they are teaching you and that you are looking for some inspiration to get you to like the class more. I.e. ask them for what made them like math or science etc and maybe it will help you find something worthwhile to get back into it a bit more. Also, at school...don't know if it's at your school, but in mine when I went to High School at least, there were some clubs I joined such as science club etc that helped me see why it could be cooler and got me more connected to wanting to learn. I also went up to a math teacher and said I just see no point to geometry, though I aced his class the year before in Algebra and he showed me some cool things with it that helped me focus. This was a big accomplishment because I have ADHD.

7. DarknessKingdom The Kingpin of the TV

You could possibly be distracted in the environment where you do your work. Depending how you work, you might or might not work better with music. You should know well enough if you do work with it or not. Loud, hardcore or your favourite artists could end up with you thinking about something else rather than the actual topic you are studying.

Get into the mindset. It may seem hard but when I have trouble concentrating, I think; this is interesting. I will work hard and I will learn. If your mind is focused, you can achieve amazing results. I managed to turn my Science grade from C to A in a term by doing so.

8. Chevalier Crystal Princess

and try to concentrate in the work at hand

the more you concentrate the faster you will understand

and be able to finish faster.

9. EvilMan_89 Code Master

this is gonna sound nerdy but do it anyway. find like a rival, someone you want to beat in grades, and then keep comparing grades like whenever you get a test back. that usually motivates me to study when i want to beat someone in terms of GPA

10. Xephos Neko, gamer, animelover, and artist :3 *purrs*

Force yourself to work and even take some time off of this site if you have to!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.