Nintendo Hyrule Warriors

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DigitalAtlas, Dec 18, 2013.

1. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Today, Iwata announced on Nintendo Direct that the Zelda series would be having a crossover with Namco's Dynasty Warriors series.

Not much info is known at this time other than the name is tentative, it's for Wii U, Tecmo-Koei's DW team is developing it, and there's a video showing off the gameplay. I included it below. So lemme just start by saying...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :'D

IT LOOKS SO COOL

Hyrule Warriors will be coming to you DIRECTLY in 2014.

2. EvilMan_89 Code Master

this looks awesome! i always wanted a more action-oriented Zelda game. it kinda reminds me of Soul Calibur Legends for Wii, but it's not really clear which controller(s) you will be using with this game. it's interesting spin-off game, i presume it's not the main Zelda for Wii U. but i like it and am looking forward to it!

3. libregkd -

4. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

5. Anixe Hollow Bastion Committee

Granted, since I've always kind of thought Dynasty Warriors was silly to me, I'm not really buying into this Zelda spin-off either lol. The blue scarf and guitar riffs also detracts from my interest. But eh, we'll see.

6. Krowley Moderator

Agreeing with this entirely. This tentative title and Smash bros are enough to boost hype for the main WiiU game in the series. Looking forward to seeing future progress.

7. jafar custom title

I've never played Dynasty Warriors, but it looks awesome to just smash through hordes of enemies. Hoping it's a spin-off rather than a story-oriented zelda game, but either way it looks pretty rad.

8. C This silence is mine

Dynasty Warriors is Tecmo Koei, not Namco (and yes, TK are developing it). I've always said that the Zelda franchise has a looot of potential in different genres, it's baffling that there's never been a pure RPG Zelda game yet, so this is nice to see.

Having said that though, this is clearly just coming out of the desperation of Wii U's sales. Hopefully their desperation will bring on more interesting titles like these!

9. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Sorry, my fault guys. I was still listening to Nintendo Direct while typing this and must've been thinking Namco because of Smash. Fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out.

I really don't think there's a desperation in system sales, but rather in software sales. Somehow they're still making money and plotting ahead though. Don't know how, but Nintendo always makes money so I'm not going to dig too deep into it. Rather I'll say they're probably trying to decrease the "lack of third-party" complaint by commissioning games and partnerships. They've been doing a lot and we've gotten some new IP's out of it! This system is going to have one crazy software lineup by the end of 2014/2015.

10. libregkd -

11. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

12. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

This could easily be as repetitive as Dynasty warriors, they need to really push a lot of varying features and make it unique and not just a clone.
    I don't really see the variety, i can't think of many characters that would be playable.
    Questionable is all i think when seeing it. I think it'll be an 8/10 at best. Great fun, but not too much depth.

13. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

This is just an appetizer while we wait for the meal.

14. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

If it's a concept of future Zelda games i'd be more intrigued, because the combat could use a bit more complexity, which would allow greater enemy variations too.
    However, if the appetiser is a disappointment, it might leave a sour taste in some people's mouths for when they get onto the latest game.

15. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

What im saying is it not suppose to be a big and amazing. they said the direct wasn't working on it. Just something for us to mess with before the actual zelda game comes out.

16. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Found a contradiction.

Anyway, why are you rating it? It's WAY too early for that in every respect. That's like rating KHIII based on the Disney rides trailer.

17. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

That's not a contradiction. I said it could get repetitive like a DW, but Zelda's combat is already repetitive in its own right. At the moment it's bare bones, slash/stab combo and spin attack. I'd be interested in it expanding its combat but it could jsut end up like DW repetitiveness which has actually been improved on slightly over the years, but still falls short.

Do ratings have to follow super strict guidelines and happen at specific points in time? I'm allowed an opinion that you may dismiss at your own will, but i'm simply using the rating system as short hand to explain my point.
    My impression is that it'll be an 8/10 game at best. Because i'd rate Dynasty Warriors 8 an 8/10. They're fun but superficially deep, with lots of repetition. This looks exactly the same as any game i've played coming from the Koei side of Warriors games. It's a personal perspective coming from someone whose played DW games since 2, the Samurai Warriors series and Orochi Warriors since their inceptions.

18. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

Goddammit Ross.

19. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Could you please add more to your posts, SJ? Two word posts outside of the spamzone aren't allowed.

20. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

There was a joke there. You missed it. It's okay. It's over now.

That said, I'm with Nova here. I don't get why anyone's judging this yet. A week ago this wasn't a thing.You could say you're judging based off former DW's, but I could judge NGIII: RE off NGIII and I'd have been wrong. Same with Sonic Lost World. Nintendo's involvement means something these days.