Dream Drop Distance Hunchback in Kingdom Hearts

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.8: Final Chapter Prologue' started by Daydreamer, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Daydreamer

It seems as though the world of Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame is going to be in the next Kingdom Hearts game. My fear is that Square Enix will over-simplify Hunchback's story which is one of the reasons that made it so great. Sidestep dark themes and subject matter such as sin, atonement, genocide, lust, God and Hell. A Kingdom Hearts game with mentions of sin and God is oddly something I can't imagine. Can Kingdom Hearts remain true to Hunchback?

2. ygorvaz Destiny Islands Resident

Change god and demon for Light and Darkness or describe it as something like would suit well, but hey, we are talking about Kingdom hearts, they WILL simplidfy the history, and that is something I quite don't like in kingdom hearts game, the story is too much superficial. I would like to see the history of the movie in its entirety.
    LOL, I wrote simplidfy rs-

3. Princess Rapunzel Flower, gleam and glow

There was a bit of trouble with the movie because the infamous 'Hellfire' song sung by Frollo, which spoke of lust, sin, and Hell. But I can imagine they would simplifty the premise plot of the movie.

4. ygorvaz Destiny Islands Resident

I would like to see him as a boss using fire. It would be something as "MYGOD! HE TURNED INTO A DEMON!"

5. Princess Rapunzel Flower, gleam and glow

I seriously hope he's a boss in that world. No matter if it's Sora or Riku, I want to beat Frollo's over- religious butt.

6. Daydreamer

Good point, I can see Judge Frollo pronouncing himself as righteous and pure (as he does in "Hellfire"), a discipline of Light, which will be weird since he always wears black.

The worlds in the Kingdom Hearts series does cheapen Disney's original material. It still would be nice to expect the same fun, energy and personality of the Hunchback movie in the game.

7. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

The story of the movie probably will be simplified a bit, unfortunately, but it looks like Frollo will still be creeping on Esmeralda:
    [​IMG]

8. chibiwings Traverse Town Homebody

Wow I didn't think about that aspect of Hunchback in Kingdom Hearts. I guess it would be all about the light and darkness instead of the religious bit. Even though Disney did simplify the original story back in 1996 (when the movie came out originally) I'm amazed they kept all the dark religious stuff in it. The novel itself is really dark too. It would make sense if it does get even more simplified in KH.
    Either way, I don't mind it. One of the best Disney movies is going to be in KH and I'm happy about that.

9. Daydreamer

10. ygorvaz Destiny Islands Resident

I think it's not it. In other part of the trailer he says: "I'll make you burn at the stake.

I think I would LOVE kingdom hearts even more if the game showed the story with it's entirety, like if we played the game we could see the movie and say "Man, it's everything the same!", sure, without Sora and Riku. Othen thing, they can't tell that they are from other worlds, but NOBODY (Organization XIII doesn't count XD) GIVES A CRAP IF THEY ARE TALKING WITH A TALKING DUCK AND A 2 METER TALL DOG.

11. Daydreamer

As it doesn't even register for anybody that Donald and Goofy are animals, how will Sora and others react when seeing Quasimodo for the first time? Because Donald and Goofy make for ugly humans. I'm pretty sure no one reacts like a real person would because it's convenient for the story. Crossover video games (or any media) tend to skimp on story because of the forced interaction between characters, look at Dissidia [012] Final Fantasy.

12. StardustXtreme Chaser

Er hello, Sora meets humans and never takes in the fact he travels with a humanoid Dog and Duck, travelling to find a mouse and Sora teams up with a Mermaid, a Lion and a Skeleton and let#s nto forget he sees Moogles, Heartless, witches, wizards etc, heck eh gets excited at jack Sparrow despite the fact he met Captain Hook beforehand. only chance he ever got close ro real humans than cartoon ones was PotC as they did say that world felt kinda different.

13. Daydreamer

I was too young (4 y/o) when Disney's Hunchback came out to understand where Disney got their material and wonder if they could make it work as an animated movie. Here's a quote from movie reviewer Roger Ebert:

My point, how will seasoned magical-creature-encounterer Sora react to Quasimodo, who is not at all magic, just deformed?

14. StardustXtreme Chaser

Sora did encounter non-magicla beings being PotC crew...well they never cast magic or such even though the Aztec Gold was considered Magic itself, if it were Sora, he'd take in stride and stll befriend Quasi no matter what he looks like, he did befriend practically everything, woudl be funny if the reason why Sora is the connection to everything is cause he just accepts everyone's appearance magical or non-magical just becuase of that.

15. Daydreamer

Sora befriending Quasi is kind of obligatory, I'm just wondering whether or not Sora will even notice he's horribly deformed. Or if others will notice Donald and Goofy are also deformed/different. Because the story of Hunchback does involve appearance.

16. StardustXtreme Chaser

Sora would know appearance doesn't matter and Riku would understand Quasi as he spent a long time as Ansem (Unknown as to how long in the game before capturing Roxas)

17. Ventus PSP Aqua Gummi Ship Junkie

I'm guessing they would change it but not to the point where you won't be able to reconize the story line of it. just like the words, as others said from the religion to the light and darkness subject.

18. ygorvaz Destiny Islands Resident

Ah.... Guys... I was kidding D= It sure would be some big problem if everybody noticed that Donald and Goofy were talking animals. Just pointing some plot holes.
    Maybe a solution for this is: Since Sora turned into a lion in the Lion King world, when he go to DIsney world he could transform into a animal too XD And Donald and Goofy gould change to their human forms (Ok, Somebody have to facepalm me, NOW!).
    Just kidding, love the game the way it is. But if you asked me, Sora and company could make... You know... Some not SOOOOOOOOOOOO childish jokes.

19. Skygazelily Merlin's Housekeeper

I always just assumed that Donald and Goofy had magic charms or something to make people overlook their odd features and see something entirely different, as in, an illusion that was far more acceptable and normal to them than a talking duck and dog. Well, I guess I hadn't assumed that. More like told myself that so I could ignore that glaring plot hole xD

As for Sora, I'm thinking that when he knew from the start that he was going to be visiting different fantastical worlds, he assumed he was going to meet people with strange appearances and therefore, expected and overlooked it when meeting the characters of other worlds. Riku, with all his travels with Maleficent, is now most likely the same way.

With that said, I'm sure that whoever visits Quasimodo's world (be it Riku, Sora, or both) would be able to realize the somewhat 'normal' nature of this world and easily gather that Quasi's definitely not considered 'normal' as far as this world's logic goes. Neither would probably be affected by his appearance, although they'd understand that he is different from his fellow inhabitants.

20. JustANobody Twilight Town Denizen

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is my all-time favorite Disney movie, so you can imagine how much of my shiz I flipped when the City of the Bells was released in the first trailer.

Unfortunately, I also came to this worry. The whole reason I love the movie is because of all of that unnatural-Disney darkness, and Kingdom Hearts has tamed a LOT from the original movies down. Those worries aside, I'm also deeply concerned for whoever's to voice Frollo. Frollo is the best Disney villain in history (he was the most human and battled with his inner demons instead of being evil through-and-through), but his voice actor, Tony Jay, is dead. You can't beat his voice for Frollo. D: