How Sharp Is A Keyblade?

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by al215, Mar 14, 2015.

1. al215 Kingdom Keeper

So, I noticed recently during the Twilight Thorn fight that Roxas and more precisely his Keyblade do some very, very interesting things.

In that video look at times 1:10 and 3:55.

So at 1:10, the Keyblade must be incredibly sharp (And heavy) because when it falls to the ground after being thrown it embeds itself in the ground with the key bit sticking face down. I can kinda get how this happens because the Key bit is probably sharp or at least, magical in some way. But what I don't get is the next bit.

At 3:55 he sticks the Keyblade into the side of the platform. How? He sticks in the actual platform. The Keyblade isn't really that sharp at the tip, so how does it go through? Does anyone actually know? If so, please explain because I am very, very confused XD

2. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

See, I just beat Twilight Thorn and was thinking about this too, and it doesn't seem to be a mistake. In 358/2 Days, released after Kingdom Hearts 2, shows something similar.

At about 1:54, Riku sticks The Oblivion Keyblade into the CONCRETE. Now, compared to Kingdom Key this makes a lot more sense, since Oblivion is pointy at the end where Riku plunged it into the ground.

[​IMG]

Kingdom Hearts being a game of little sense, I'm not too surprised, but even still. This seems to only be happening to the Keyblades Roxas uses.

Edit:

Alright so apparently Roxas' Keyblades aren't the only Keyblades which stick into the ground.

About 16 seconds in you can see that The "Ends of the Earth" Keyblade does this as well, also again at 4:09. Also another thing to note, it is used to STEADY HIMSELF from the blast, in which Terranort, disappears but the Keyblade somehow keeps him on the ground.

[​IMG]

Now because "Ends of the Earth" is being dug into the dirt, it seems a bit more likely, but everything else?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  3. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Well, it's interesting, because even without them being sharp, you see everyone cutting things up with those keys as well. In the beginning fight of Xemnas's final battle, Sora cuts up giant buildings cleanly, and later during the third phase Riku cuts them up as well.

Another point where they seem to cut anything is during the Radiant Garden Unversed fight with Aqua, Ven, and Terra, when they just cut off pieces of the Unversed with no problem, and like Calxiyn mentions about End of the Earth, it's not really sharp.

It might just be that whole thing where a master can cut anything, or they're just trying to make the characters look stronger than normal, but it is strange

4. Maka Albarn It's called love

Well I was going to say that the keyblade in Roxas's awakening was acting weird because it's kind of like a dream, and dreams don't make sense with what you do or what's happening... But in the other videos...

Maybe the keyblade just goes with the mind of it's wielder and if the wielder thinks "Hm, I wanna stab that thing with this blunt blade" then it creates an illusion or magic of sorts to act like a sword. Or it listens to the mind of its wielder and does what the wielder wants.

Then again, the three weapons in Awakening to choose from are Shield, Sword, and Staff... And the sword is sharp, soooo... Maybe all the weapons are combined into one weapon, the keyblade

Just a theory. *shrugs*

5. KHOmega Destiny Islands Resident

I bet it doesn't really matter how sharp it is. Like, a keyblade wielder is able to use magic. What is stopping everyone from using magic to do what they have been doing? I mean, Roxas used magic before, he could have been subconsciously using it against his battle with Twilight Thorn when he stuck it into the floor. Riku coulda used magic to keep Oblivion on the ground and hey, Sora and Riku coulda been using magic to cut through those buildings.

But that's just a theory....a GAME THEORY.

*shot*

6. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Ever since watching the Man at Arms Keyblade vid, I always assumed the edges were sharp. Would certainly explain the different situations mentioned.

7. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Well first of all you have to realize, sweeties, Riku's Keyblade is sharp. It's got more sword-like properties than the others.

I'm gonna guess these dorks just have the ability to use magic when they're synchronized with their Keyblade and the magic allows them to cut stuff down.

8. Light-Rune Maven Seer

The way that I have always seen it is that since the Keyblade is a magical weapon filled with an element (Light or dark specifically) the actual blade part is made up of the inner power of the person. To give more detail, the Keyblade was revealed in KH BbS to be passed down through "The Power." I don't really have any reference material, but it seemed to me that this power develops into a keyblade by residing in a person's heart. So basically the keyblade is a physical manifestation of the power in a person's heart. So the power of a strong person's heart "cuts" through the opposing person. So it serves as ... a sort of physical manifestation of will.

The energy inside is what cuts.

But of course, that's just how I've always seen it.

9. Hexin Hollow Bastion Committee

I
    I have to agree with O.Knight. It actual does make the most sense considering in Kingdom hearts there are cut-scenes that can justify this theory. When you fight Leon for the first time, IF you manage to win, you'll get a cut scene where Leon seems somewhat exhausted and he submits to Sora before finding out that Sora was also tired as well. The same goes with Cloud in Olympus Coliseum. In the fight with Cloud, the same scenario occurs. Heck, even with Riku in Hollow Bastion this happens!

Despite being called the Key BLADE, it would seem that the weapon only has sharp properties when it's necessary. As mentioned by most of you, the keyblade only seems to actually appear to be sharp in certain situations; specifically when it's necessary. To be honest, I'm not sure if the KH lore has any actual evidence to back up what O.Knight is saying, but it does make the most sense story-wise.

Other than that, this could all just be something the developers decide to do whenever they feel like it or seem it would look COOL for certain cut-scenes; because let's face it...most of the cut-scenes we mentioned are pretty cool in their own right.