How do you know when you're in love?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Princess Rapunzel, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Princess Rapunzel Flower, gleam and glow

This is something I've been learning about in my 1st Period Soical Science class. I love Protector212, and I know he loves me (look at our signatures for the proof). When I have learned so far, is that when you start actually feel love for someone, you just know and can't stop thinking of them. I didn't realize I truly love Protector until two years ago, I think. But I was worried about a few things because we live so far and people say long distance relationships don't work. He lives in the UK, and and I live in the US, but we can contact each other here. We have seen pictures of each other (we're friends on Facebook) so we know what we look like. All I'm asking is: how do you know when you're in love?

2. Pinekaboo Chaser

There's no "correct" way to tell, honestly. If you're in love, you'll probably realise it eventually.
    Having been in love before, I can say that it can either come out of nowhere, or be slowly built up to, but both ways are completely equal. I also know that no matter how long it goes, it's not easy to fall out of love once you're there.

Eh, sorry for the vague answer, but it's actually a very difficult thing to explain.

3. Krowley Moderator

Far as I can tell it's different with everyone.

Symptoms include:
    - Showing opposite emotions, Mocking them, hitting them (Mostly for younger people)
    - Thinking of them constantly
    - Songs like This begin to play in your head when you see them.
    - You grow jealous when an attractive person talks to them.
    - Wanting to see them more often.

The more you make a deal of it, the more in love you are.

Don't take this reply to literally. Go as far as your instinct takes you.

4. Excasr The Forgotten XIII

There is not a way to truly explain it or tell yourself... let's see.

You know you're in love, because your heart just beats stronger when the person is around, you like to look at him/her and especially talk with them. You feel a different bond, something you may call "in love". When you're in love, you will know or at least will start to ask yourself: "Am I in love?" or something like that.

Yes, distant relationships may work, though it is very very hard; but not impossible.

5. Glen Returned from the dead

Difficult question. In my opinion, when you want nothing more out of life than to spend time with that one person, it's love. When you get very jealous if they even talk to another person, when you feel as though they know you better than anyone, they're symptoms of it.

6. Daenerys Targaryen ok

When you fall in love, I believe it's more than just thinking of someone constantly, or wishing to be with someone constantly. It's when you truly fall in love with everything a person is, their essence, not just the shell. It's beginning to dwell in their energy and the smell of their skin and their laugh that makes you melt. It's more than just romance, or caring about a person. All your insecurities fade away, and you feel secure and safe with the person. It's a strong trust and bond. And of course love is not always rainbows and happiness, but it's learning that it's worth the disagreements and tears that it sometimes can cause. I believe being in love with someone is accepting them for everything they are and nothing less. Connecting with someone fully and completely and not ever wanting to live without them.

7. Yozora Archer

Ehm, it depends on what kind of love you speak of.

Love as if in "Omg he's so awesome we have so much in common" or "omg Im in love with him just cause"?

How much do you know about this guy? Things might be different if you actually meet him in person, making things awkward.

You know, I think the only reason you might have feelings for him is because you "think" it so. All those posts of his are dead, but you add some spice to them. You are in love with someone who really isn't there, but is just a form of your imagination, right? If you're looking for "something", then it isn't there. It's just meaningless in my opinion. Truth is one of you might some day meet someone else in real life. Whoever this happens to will leave the other feeling crappy.

My advice? Be a smart girl, break up with this guy, and look for someone in real life. Someone you can feel, smell, and all that stuff.

And to answer your question, these feelings you feel towards him are fake. Well, because you're making them up, so they are not real. What do I mean by make up? Well, do you ever read a book and think up what the character is going through, smells, etc? That's what you're doing when reading his posts. (Unless you've spoken with him via webcam or w/e) I know how you feel. I used to feel like this with someone. BUUT if you really want to stay with this guy, so be it. Doing so might give you some experience and knowledge on what "love" is or whatever.

That's what I have to say anyway. *inb4peoplehateme

*unlesstheyalreadydo

*Im 17 so who am I to speak of

8. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Deep down, I knew I was in love when I started having to actively deny that I was in love. That was roughly two years ago, and I got over it. Since I came to terms with being in love with her (which was particularly hard because I used to be convinced that I was gay), every single moment that I spent with her became special, and when I confessed to her six months ago, she started being more affectionate with me to the point that I sometimes wonder if maybe she feels the same way. Now I don't fight it at all. Do with that what you will.

9. Saxima [screams geometrically]

If it weren't for the fact that I am currently in romantic shenanigans with someone who lives in Ohio [and I live in Texas], then I would totally be saying the same thing as what he said.

In my case, it's totally plausible that he and I will get to see each other [in fact, we're going to do so this summer], but it's a little more . . . impossible for you. Hear me when I say love has no bounds. I don't know how long you two have been in this relationship type thing, or how long you have known each other, or even how much you know of each other, but you can't just say that you're in love.

It's practically impossible to define the feelings of being in love, for it's different for everyone. Most commonly, people will say:
    • You enjoy their company
    • You love spending time with them
    • They become one of the only things you think about all of the time
    • It's hard to see yourself without them
    And et cetera, but that isn't the case with all people, so I can't tell you these few things are exact indications of you being in love with them. You may simply enjoy their company because you're friends - and being friends, in my book, is certainly a type of love.

Be careful, don't be like me, I risked everything jumping in, diving head first - there is still a chance that no one will catch me before I hit rock bottom; I'm still falling. If you dive in head first, well . . . then that's it - you're risking everything.

None of us here can tell you how you know when you're in love, that's something you'd have to judge for yourself, no matter how hard it may be. I wish you luck.