Anime How do you feel about crazy hair colors?

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga' started by Ars Nova, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

A lot of animes seem not to care that colors like blue, green, purple, and vibrant reds don't exactly occur naturally in human hair. Maybe it's just dye or a wig, but even then, do that many people go to such lengths?

I feel like hair color is being used as a shortcut to make a character stand out, when one could do so with facial expressions, body structure, or clothing styles instead, among other things. I enjoy shows where hair colors are much more restrained - and even then, I don't mind the odd teal or pink, because then it stands out even more.

The thing that bugs me the most is when characters get odd hair colors in the transition from manga to anime - I always picture them a certain way in my head, and since they begin their lives in black & white they clearly stand out enough already, so it just seems pointless to me. Kio doesn't need green hair, he's a sassy art student who loves sweaters and has a giant butterfly tattoo on his back!

How 'bout y'all? Are you getting tired of it, or have you seen so much of it now that you don't even notice?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  2. Patman Bof

It does feel weird at first but I quickly ignore it if I' m hooked. Franco-belgian comics characters often have round noses, many Disney characters like Mickey only have four fingers, not to mention the weird animal fetish. Stylistics conventions vary between countries and none are a golden rule so, heh, whatever.

3. Shuhbooty moon child

I like it. I never even thought it bothersome, to be very honest. It gives them their character and it's.. anime. Thats like asking why they defy physics, but thats just me. xD I get bored over the same normal hair colors, so it's nice to see something so different.

4. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I really like the odd hair colors. It definately does give help a character stand out, which is really good for the beginning of a show, where you're trying to learn which character is which. Plus, I think it opens up the creators to being creative.

I will say that the changes in what I see in the source material to the manga does bug me at times. A prime example for me is with Fruits Basket, where I read the entire series believing that Torou was a blonde since her hair had no shading, only to see in the anime that she had brown hair. Granted, she's on the cover of the first volume, where it clearly shows she has brown hair, so maybe I'm just not careful with stuff like that. But, that shade of brown could've had some shading in black and white, y'know?

5. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

The thing with anime is it's very pronounced and whacky, it's an art form and so a lot of the people tend to have impossibly weird hair styles and huge weapons and things that normal humans couldn't do/have. I much prefer the more realistic hair styles but I don't watch much anime with the crazy hair, I think it's a great way to define their character and add style to them, because these people aren't real so you can design them however you like.

I think if I were to actually watch an anime that had characters with brightly impossible hair colours then it wouldn't bother me as it just seems natural and fits in but it is weird. The hair style would bother me more than anything else, if it's impossible then it does bother me but colours not so much.

6. Railos Hollow Bastion Committee

I love odd, and unnatural hair colors. Sometimes, it's one of the first things I notice. It makes the character stand out more, and makes them more memorable to me, and sometimes it adds or reflects their personality, which I really like.