Homophobia

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Daenerys Targaryen, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Princess Snow White I feel such an isomniac.

1. I think people should have pride in what sexuality their is.(If that answers the question)
    2. No. I have some friends that are gay or bisexual and it doesn't bother me at all.
    3. People should be able to love whoever they love either it's of the same or opposite gender.
    4. I don't think it's wrong.

2. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

I'm not a lesbian or anything like that, but I have friends who are gay/bi, and I support them entirely.
    I don't necessarily think homophobia is wrong, some people can't help it, I guess. But I hate it when people call homosexuals hateful words (words that would give me a one-way ticket to Banned-ville if I posted them). It disgusts me.

3. Ashwa <3 Hollow Bastion Committee

I don't really have a feeling for this. I'm not one of those "Yeah! Leave the homosexuals alone!" or the other kind "Ew! Homosexuals are weird and nasty"

I'm just not.

They're people and I treat them like people. I could care less about "the way they swing" or whatever. Yes, to me homophobia is silly. But there are many other phobias that are silly. And yes, I don't see how someone can be afraid of a certain type of person but thats just me.

So to answer the question, no I'm not a homophobe. And I don't really support it. But I'm not slamming it either.

4. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I am a bi so i support gay love i think people are free to who they want to love

5. HOSPITAL STAT! i knock tits

Oh gosh lol no, I could never think of you as one to slam a post - for one you don't do that and I honestly always do enjoy reading your opinions on anything, especially when it is a reply towards mine. I have nothing against countering, just for this case I was a bit confused ahaha.

That's exactly how my curiousity stirred up to begin with - and even though I don't want elaborate in what way, even I honestly have to admit I've done a sort of "changement". So it wasn't like I was talking from just an "observer" standpoint.

I really do hate to use that word 'choose' though, especially since so many homosexuals are fighting against it and have every right to, but I really couldn't find any other better choice of word to fit my depiction. So I did my best to associate it with taste which still doesn't sound right, wtfasdfjasdkf. But as you put, it could just be those hormones changing.

Yeah, more so internal than envirommental anyway. It's true that sexuality is more of an internal issue, especially when you bring up that homosexuality was condemmned and frowned upon much more severly than it is today (well, in some places anyway) and yet it still existed. But as an example of how enviroment can come at play is when you have some guys who "make use of what they have" in same-sex schools (I've personally only met one girl and two guys who've admitted to this though). This is most likely one of those things that depends on the person and how they personally react to it, since no one handles/thinks through out things the same way. That, or they were confused and could've been homo/bi all along.

6. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

First, Homosexual relationships, it's all good to me.
    Second, nope i'm the opposite, i'm ready for a good time whthere it pokes in or out! ;)

Third, So you both have penises or both have ******s, so what? Hetrosexual (straight) people are the only ones who judge people, gays and Bisexuals don't care who your sleeping with, so why should straight people?
    About the same sex couple having a kid, so what? As long as they love the child it shouldn't matter, you should be moaning at the parents that rape and abuse their children, their the ones who get Funcked up.
    And would we really mind if anyone is gay, Bi or lesbian? This site really does support people whatever their sexuality, probably the best feature about the site. (well most people)

Edit: Ok after reading some of the posts over, i'd just like to say first off, i'm Bisexual. Now me, I don't believe (much) in the 'your born gay or not' because in my case it's different, I was first quite homphobic, guys holding hands in the street, and i'd walk away FAST, anyway i could.

Than after a while, I came to like guys more, connect with them and this was with only gays, while women were being quite *****y at the time, I felt like I changed into a gay guy who got real pissed off at the fact straight people could never accept gays.
    Now at around 13, I kinda realized that I don't like guys many guys in the way of 'love', while girls had suddenly gained more 'curves' that I never noticed before and again became attracted back. now today I think 'Oh what the hell, as long as i'm having a good time and the other person is having a good time, why should I give a sh!t about whether they are male, female, black, white, asain, dumb or smart, as long as it's good, what's wrong with that?'
    And that is pretty much why I don't believe in 'born gay' thing, maybe I was just a freak of nature type, but that my thought.
    And to ask about what my type is because i'm bored, I am attracted to girls more so than guys, but i'd still sleep with a guy. OK? XD

7. Tadashi Merlin's Housekeeper

I'm not homophobic. I have gay/lesdo friends, but I'm not for it but nor am I against it. It's all whatever.....

I don't find homophobia wrong. If your uncomfortable with something, then you are oh well...
    I do however find it wrong to bash gays. Especially since its always based on ignorance.

8. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I don't mind gays or lesbians, my best friend is a lesbian in fact (well she's more bisexual I suppose), I've known her since I was 3 and she's been my best mate since. I understand why people can think it's wrong and unnatural but I think it was put there for a reason, people can finally let out how they're feeling without feeling ashamed. I'm sure there were a lot of people in olden days that were homosexual but kept it hidden in fear of rejection. It wasn't natural back then, but it's more common now.

I support it fully, I think you can;t help how you feel so no one should be condemned for it.

9. Jin うごかないで

-sigh- i'm not against homosexuals it doesnt bother me anyway wats it to me who they like and wat gender.

10. Crimson Merlin's Housekeeper

I have nothing against homosexuals. If that's your sexuality, then so be it. Sometimes, although, when I see a gay couple, I get this small feeling that it might not be quite right. But I usually ignore it.
    I do hate when people exaggerate the matter in the media, bringing it up constantly and arguing about it in a very visible manner. Why can't homosexuals be left alone? They haven't hurt anyone.

11. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Well how are we drawing the line of Homophobia? I'm against Homosexuality but I don't hate on or avoid homosexuals. I show them the same love as I show anyone else. Any Christians that do go arround hating on anyone really needs to open their Bible. Specifically Matthew 5:43-48 and 22:36-40 come to mind off hand. I could probably find more along the same lines if I wanted to put more effort into it. To me it's a lot like being friends with an alchoholic, I wish it wasn't part of thier life but I still like them as a person.

12. P Banned

For me, the basic uneasiness is there, and I definitely prefer not to see it. (Although the same can be said about watching hetero couples make out.) So in that sense, I suppose I am mildly homophobic. However I don't have anything against people doing it. It's just not something I can appreciate. For example, I dislike bad fanfiction, but that doesn't mean I want to erase it from the face of the planet. People are welcome to write it and read it, and if they wish to discuss it with me, I'll happily talk about it without being overly critical. Also, mentally, I acknowledge that there is nothing wrong with it, so said uneasiness can easily be kept in check. I'd have the same uncertainty in a conversation about sex toys (of any gender).

On the idea of it being unnatural, we first need a definition of natural. The idea that any form of ejaculation that doesn't produce babies is wrong is absurd.

Man+Man=Nothing
    Woman+Woman=Nothing
    Man+Woman=Baby
    Man+Woman+Contraception=Nothing
    Man+Hand=Nothing
    Nocturnal emissions=Nothing
    Man+Woman's mouth=Nothing
    Man+Woman's anus=Nothing

Eight possibilities, just from the top of my head. Seven of them produce nothing. If we use this definition, we end up with a 1984-esque society, where we've only got consensual sex in the missionary position.

Homosexuality has been observed in nature, so clearly it's not a choice thing. Furthermore, who would choose to be gay? The social stigma means that if people could choose, they would certainly choose to be heterosexual.

I am against the idea of 'gay pride' though. I'm fine with homosexuality existing, but I'd really prefer it if it wasn't forced into the public eye. Not for the sake of 'protecting children' or such nonsense. More just because it's something I'd rather not see. Then again, I'm also against erotic advertisements, such as the 'Boobs on Bikes' parade that was in NZ a while ago, or how sport gets promoted to an absurd degree. So I'm against Gay Pride as much as I'm against sport.

13. Patman Bof

I think that' s precisely the kind of thinking that drove them to have a gay pride in the first place. Most people think along the lines of "You can be gay, just not in front of us/children. We don' t want to have to think about it". The same way, laws don' t acknowledge any rights to gay people/couples in most places. They can be gay, but as far as laws are concerned they' ll be considered as straight single people. The gay pride is a way for them to say "yes, we exist, deal with it". The day they' ll feel they are treated as equally as other people they won' t need a parade anymore.

14. Umiyuri Papaeyra Gummi Ship Junkie

I'm gonna use this line to make my favourite point.

My personal definition of 'unnatural' is "something that is not seen in any species other than homo sapiens". Here's a short list of things that are, by that definition, unnatural: healthcare, law, religion, machines, burial of the dead, and cooked food.

Saying you shouldn't do something because it's unnatural leaves you with basically nothing of human society, both modern and past, so in the end it's a damn stupid argument to make.

15. Sara Tea Drinker

I grew up in a highly religious Christian community. About two towns away from me, there's a town that has a high population of gay people in the town. Me and my mom walk through that town a lot and she loves the town. I do, too, and both of us know some of the gay establishments just because my mom can tell the difference and she points it out to me, like one where each night the place is filled to the max with men dancing and the gay flag. Does that make it wrong? No, it's up to them.

I am at least leaning towards bi. I had really bad experiences with the first two boys who I got really close to which I will not post here. Probably the reason I at least lean towards being bi. I haven't told my born-again dad because of fear of how he'd react. My mom is more like it's a choice in my life and I should decide not to be bi than be straight. It's up to her, but I support gay marriage and I support equal rights. Gay pride, I think considering the prejudices out there, yes, they should have it. I read articles about some beliefs of being gay. I've seen my state do everything in their power, including bring out of staters to vote down the appeal for gay marriage. And it kills me because they should have it.

As for what they do, it's up to them. I've seen a male and female practically have sex in public, I've seen male/female couples making out in high school in front of the Vice Principal, and no finger raised against them. But the same guy ban a lesbian from kissing her girlfriend on the cheek in the cafeteria on threat of expulsion. Is that fair in my eyes? No, it should be equal rights. It kills me to see things as the way they are, and I hope it changes soon.

16. Undesirable Number 1 Merlin's Housekeeper

I'm tolerant of gays, but not a huge supporter or anything. I'm not usually homophobic though.

17. Always Dance Chaser

I haven't read this thread so I'm sorry if the people who dislike what I'm about to say(and i'm sure there will be many) have already addressed similar arguments.

I have a strong dislike for the term "Homophobia". I am not AFRAID of gay people, and I think that's such a stupid thing to say. I don't support meth addicts, but that doesn't mean I'm "Methaphobic". I don't support gay marriage or the gay lifestyle, but I'm not scared of it. That term is stupid.

That's really all I wanted to say but I may as well address the question posed in the thread. Although I do not support gay marriage or the gay lifestyle, I have somewhat of an apathy to both of those things, so it doesn't really bother me. However, "Gay pride" really does bother me. All their parades and festivals where they come together and try to force homosexuality on the entire city they're marching through...it's disgusting. I've seen a gay pride parade trample an old lady Christian protester on the news. Of course, I don't think it was wise of that lady to protest, but that doesn't mean you TRAMPLE HER.

18. Umiyuri Papaeyra Gummi Ship Junkie

I can really understand that. God, that's just horrific.

The worst part is, because the paraders are the most vocal part of the community, they're meant to represent the whole. And as soon as a representative does something obnoxious or harmful, it reflects upon the entire group. If you really want to be helpful to a cause, watch what you do.

In the end, though, there just shouldn't have to be any big reaction to homosexuality/bisexuality - and that includes parading it around.

19. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

I feel that sexuality is just like any other part of a person, like what kind of music they like, or what colour their eyes are. That's why I don't understand how people can be homophobic. I can understand people not being very supportive or not liking gay people on religious guys or whatever, but a fear is different, it's an inate, irrational fight-or-flight response. But you never see people trying to ban people who have red hair or people from listening to heavy metal music, do you (or at least very infrequently). In addition, it is observed in many other species, not just apes, but girraffes (90% of Girrafe intercourse is homosexual, 1% of that being F/F, the rest being M/M), and also Lions. How can we say that it's unnatural if it occurs naturally. If people don't like it anyway, there's such a thing as ignoring it. For example, I don't particularly like spiders or dogs, so I just ignore them and i feel better. Sexuality is no different.

On the subject of gay pride, all I can say is that I have never witnessed a gay pride parade, and, knowing a fair few gay people, I don't know any people who have been to one. However, I can tell you that they are some of the nicest, and most genuine people you will ever meet, and it may just be co-incidence, but I have never fallen out with someone who is.

20. Always Dance Chaser

I'm tired of hearing the "animals do it, so it's natural" argument. Stuides showed that animals do not do it for pleasure(In fact humans and dolphins are the only species who have sex for pleasure), but it's more of a dominance thing, akin to prison rape.