Traditional Art Hippy Caterpillar

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by T A F F Y シ, Aug 20, 2013.

1. T A F F Y シ Hollow Bastion Committee

So I was working on a project for the past 6 weeks and I created an awesome character I want to share.​
    More about the project:
    Well, Me and my team were selected to compete in the BFX festival in bournemouth, UK, where we select a theme out of many provided and make a 30 second film out of it. We choose the Alice theme, based on the story by lewis Carroll.​
    During a period of 6 weeks my team, Blonde Rangers, made a 30 second film called Blonde her land. Our video can be found here: [Link]​
    Synopsis, Teenager Alice feigns normality in her wacky and wonderful world. ​
    Your share, view and like will be greatly appreciated :3​
    More about the character:
    My role in this film was 2D animation and Character designer. Since our films theme was based on Alice in wonderland in our modern world, my team wanted me to create a Caterpillar. I choose a hippy style for him, he is inspired by a friend of mine who is really cool and relaxed about everything. ​
    Critique is always appreciated :3​

2. Yozora Archer

Dude that's freaking awesome and I love Alice in Wonderland. (grandma has the book fook yeah)

Nice design on the caterpillar, making him a hippy jamaican dude lol. The overall appeal of the caterpillar reminds me of that Chowder cartoon. Nice details and thought were put into it obvs.

So you did the animation for Alice and the cat? How'd that go? How many frames did you use? Any early concept designs of the characters you can share? Programs pl0x? lol

3. T A F F Y シ Hollow Bastion Committee

I am really glad to know you liked my design :D ​
    Yes, I did do that animation. ​
    Hmm, it was about 80 frames for Alice and 91 frames for the cat if I remember.​
    We I animated it mostly in 2's and some on 1's, sticking with 24 frames per second for a fluid movement. ​
    The color, lighting and shading for the 2D was all done in Toon Boom Harmony. It's a really great program animate and color with :D ​
    As for early concept work, you can view them all here [Link].​
    :3​

4. Glen Returned from the dead

I really like this piece of art, it stands out amongst other pieces. The pose, the colours, they all fit so well together. You've done a really good job on this, any other characters like this that you've created?

5. T A F F Y シ Hollow Bastion Committee

Hi there! ​
    Thank you :3​
    I am really happy to hear that! ​
    I have many other characters which you can look at here: [Link]​
    :3​

6. Dinny I am Anime ( ⚈้̤͡ ◡ ⚈้̤͡ )

TAFFY GURL YOU ARE MY IDOL
    YOU ARE LIVING MY DREAMS NGHHHHHHHH

Okay, I was literally like fan spasming over this wow this is so so incredible
    Holy snaps that was absolutely beautiful. I loved the video you guys came up with, that was spectacular. The animation was so great - like I gasped out loud when the Cheshire Cat did the spiny-disappear thing and when her room turned into Wonderland/Blondeherland. That last one took my breath away.

As for your illustration, I think that's such a cute and amazing rendition of the Caterpillar. I love his overly patterned head piece and hair and I can not even stress on how much I love the colours you used. The Caterpillar always had my favourite color scheme in Alive in Wonderland and I really love how you've done this. The fact that it's a gif and the colours are moving along with the subtle little patterns on the side. It all really meshes well and it's not the slightest bit overwhelming and I think it really goes great with the video that you guys have done for this project. Your attention to detail for this little hippy fella' is incredible and I absolutely adore how crisp your lines are. I would like to see the Hooka/I don't really know what it's called/the thing he's smoking from. I don't really know why, but in the films (Disney/Tim Burton) and games and shows and such, the device where he stays on which is his smoking thingy it was always a big thing for the character, or at least that's what I thought, and it would have been nice to see it as well - especially with when I can already see the great characterization on the Caterpillar himself, I think you would make his smokey-thingy just as interesting and spectacular.

This is so incredibly impressive. I still have goosebumps, wow Taffy, you're so amazing. This is so inspiring, you're just so great ahhh please update us on everything you draw you're so cool ahhh u //// A //// u

7. T A F F Y シ Hollow Bastion Committee

OHMYGOD DINNY.​
    I am really crying over here! ​
    YOU REALLY MADE ME HAPPY.​
    Thank you sooo much for your post!​
    I am very happy to hear you loved it! :''D​
    Took us 6 long (not much sleep) weeks to finish it!​
    I am really happy you love my caterpillar, yep I thought about his character alot. Sadly, I had no time to add his Hookah (which I really wanted to design).​
    I did try out this smoke effect for him, but it does not really show.​
    Seriously babe, your post made me happy and I promise to post more on here.​
    YOUR SO COOL TO. I LOVE YOU ART AS WELL!​
    /CRIES​