Health

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Technic☆Kitty, Aug 11, 2011.

?

Do you think we need drugs to survive? (as a people)

1. Yes, I do think we need drugs to survive.

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. No, I don't think we need drugs to survive.

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. A few drugs are acceptable, but only a few.

22 vote(s)
    56.4%
  4. Drugs, give me drugs!!!

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

No, I didn't need a repeat, I always read your posts thoroughly, friend. I also understand a number of the effects that marijuana can cause, but there has been evidence of drug abuse causing schizophrenia. Though yes you're right my hallucination comment was incorrect, I was talking about another drug that I'd heard of causing schizophrenia, however I've found out the research was discredited. However they are other studies on some drugs and them causing schizophrenia.

A number of drugs have been associated with the development of schizophrenia, including cannabis, cocaine, and amphetamines. About half of those with schizophrenia that develops at an age greater then the average, are users of drugs and/or alcohol excessively. The role of cannabis could be causal, but other drugs may be used only as coping mechanisms to deal with depression, anxiety, boredom, and loneliness.

Cannabis is associated with a dose-dependent increase in the risk of developing a psychotic disorder and frequent use of cannabis has been found to double the risk of psychosis and schizophrenia. I will note that the actual correlation between the two has been questioned, and it remains controversial. Meth, cocaine, and alcohol can also result in psychosis that presents symptoms similar to schizophrenia.

Search the net, I'm sure you'll find an article, these last two paragraphs are pretty much word for word in my psychology book.

I never knew that about LSD personally, and good to know more really, but I still don't like things that alter my mind and my (perceived) control over the world.

But I was thinking more then just the one, you say 'a lot' which translates as over 50% of drugs have a lot of benefits. LSD I can believe is one of them, but with meth, cocaine, etc that are all illegal, is there a majority of beneficial illegal drugs? Or where you making a broad statement like we all do some times?

2. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I was making a broad statement because there are a lot of drugs that have been banned and have not made a name for themselves. I learn about new drugs all of the time, and I do not think that that will be stopping soon. I consider meth to be the worst drug in existence for several reasons, and I would single it out as something that does only harm. I do not know enough about cocaine to make an argument for or against that, but I have never heard anything good about it. As I said earlier, the more processed a drug is, the less likely it is to be good for you. How many drugs do you think have been banned? How many do you know to be harmful or addictive? Subtract the difference and my statement may make a little bit more sense. Many drugs are useful as sedatives and other aids and are easy to produce but have been banned in place of patentable products that are often just as if not more addictive and harmful. I will have to do more reading if you want a solid list of them.

3. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

No need for a list. But instead, do your drugs in your own time, make a list of what you're feeling and send it to me by mail. It'll be a read I enjoy from start till finish, I'm sure.

I don't know about a wide variety of drugs or drug users to make an assumption to whether illegal drugs are more less harmful. Maybe in the future I'll have an idea, but for now I'm generally neutral on the matter. Let people make their choices and let them deal with the consequences of their actions and the effects of the drugs.

I admit it'd be an interesting idea to have certain drugs legalised and produced for the public. Companies and corporations selling cannabis to 18 year olds over the counter. Maybe that might happen.

4. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I can certainly say that most sedatives are more addictive than cannabis is. I hope to see it happen in my lifetime.

5. Accalia Gummi Ship Junkie

I think we need prescription drugs to survive but not recreational drugs.
    Prescription drugs are given for survival and are a must. Recreational drugs are a different story. In my opinion recreational drugs are a choice and can be needed for survival if you let them be.

6. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

The problem with this is that prescription drugs are not always the best ones available, and that illegal drugs often have medical uses. While there are a few purely recreational drugs, it is not fair to put them into such black and white terms while there are non-recreational drugs that do not get prescribed regardless. Many prescribed drugs can also be used recreationally if you want to take that route, so stating that most people do not use a drug for its medical properties is an invalid argument against its health benefits.

7. May Kitsune Destiny Islands Resident

Only NATURAL drugs are needed such as pain killing drugs which are all found in plants until they are sent to factories and get a bunch of chemicals put into them so you get addicted to them and so that they are bad for you such as Cigarets Tobacco is fine until a bunch of chemicals are put in the mix...

8. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

What do we NEED to survive? Hell, food and water. Nearly everything else is a matter of personal longevity and quality of life.

Honestly, sometimes illness is flat-out unfair. It strikes in unexpected ways and sometimes appears with no rhyme or reason. Some people have chemical imbalances in their brain, heart, or other parts of their body with which they were not built to cope, and which constantly threaten their well-being. Some things are just too much for someone to handle naturally. Or, perhaps, it would take a large chunk of their natural life to overcome whatever adversity they face; but at that point, was it worth it? Will the person be able to integrate into society and enjoy their life to the fullest?

Some people are willing to grapple with illness, no matter how severe. Others would rather clear their mind and body of distractions so that they can live out their dreams and wishes with little interference. To the first, I say good on ya. To the second, I would only advise caution. Drugs are not magickal cure-all potions of health and vitality; they cause an excess or an imbalance in one way or another. At times it's a temporary strain that the body can overcome in its course; at other times, it's a full-out gamble. Those who use substances, legal or otherwise, should be aware of the effects and the potential for misuse.

So no, I don't think it's a question of survival, but of circumstance. Like I said, some people are content to be sick and fight through it. Others find it to be a weight constantly hanging on their back. If a substance (taken cautiously and in moderation) improves their quality of life--or saves it, in the worst cases--then I don't see a problem. Of course, the culture tends to abuse them a fair bit, but... eh. Pros and cons.

9. miaulement Traverse Town Homebody

If you mean drugs to help you with a sickness, those can be useful. They're not absolutely necessary. Unless if the sickness is rather malicious and it actually needs a medicine.
    Illegal drugs? Those can hurt you in some sort of way. I don't think we need those, at all. Any kind of drug can hurt you in some way, really.

My choice is only a few drugs.

10. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

We don't need any drugs to survive. As individuals, maybe, but for our species to survive, all we need is, as Sforzato said, food and water.
    Drugs are to keep the natural selection from killing off the weaker beings. We don't need painkillers. We don't need anxiety medicine/anti-depressants. Sure, it makes life a hell of a lot easier for some, but it's not something we physically need.

11. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

Sometimes, prescription drugs are necessary. Sure, the human race has survived this long, but the lifespan is much longer than it used to be, and that is due in part to medical breakthroughs. Even recreational drugs, as long as people are moderate about it, can be okay. For example, I consider alcohol a recreational drug because of its addictive qualities, withdrawal symptoms, etc., and it is usually regarded as acceptable as long as people watch how much they drink. I wouldn't say recreational drugs are necessary for survival, per se, but if they are being used for medical purposes, they can provide relief. I think the primary problems are: 1) people often misuse and/or abuse drugs, and 2) doctors and psychiatrists seem a lot more liberal about handing out prescriptions than they should be.

Some people have extreme anxiety or depression. According to my Psychology textbook (I'm a college student), however, 75% of individuals are not actually helped by the drug itself, but by the placebo effect. The group of people prescribed drugs truly seem to help are those with chronic depression. And as long as the drugs provide relief, that's fine. But a lot of people overreact. Some think the way they act is abnormal, that nobody else feels the same way as they do, so there must be something wrong with them. By being diagnosed with anxiety, depression, etc., they have an excuse (or rather, seeming explanation) for their behavior, which makes them feel better about themselves. And they convince themselves that the drugs make them normal, so as a result, they feel normal.

Personally, I am wary of even prescribed drugs. If it isn't absolutely necessary, I don't feel like putting something not totally natural in my body. I am even hesitant to take a simple pain killer, and don't unless I am seriously in pain.

12. Krown King's Apprentice

If its the bad kind I drugs I say you don't need them because they'll just eventually kill you sì what's the point?

And for prescription drugs I think yes just as log as you dont overdoe them otherwise you'll get sicker.

13. Ventus PSP Aqua Gummi Ship Junkie

I believe drugs should only be taken by medical reasons and not by enjoyment. For many years they have helped us survive or be cured by diseases and virus's . Drugs well only be bad when people decide to use them for the wrong reasons.

14. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

You fail to define 'the wrong reasons'. People eat good food for enjoyment. Consider candy. People use aroma therapy for enjoyment. People drink caffeine and other liquids for enjoyment. Why should other substances be any different? Some of them will harm you, as will some foods and drinks, but that does not make using food and drink for enjoyment a bad thing.

15. Chevalier Crystal Princess

I'm not against the use of drugs, personally. And I find that I agree with what Sforzato said. There are many drugs which have the potential to be harmful and they're not magical cures, so I'd say to use with caution.

As Makaze mentioned, drugs often go through different processes and more likely than not there are natural alternatives. While they may not be as potent, they may be good enough depending on the case.

Stop using drugs? Only if they're harmful to you. Overuse drugs? No, specially the addictive ones. Always try to seek the best and most manageable solution to your illness.

16. shadusnox Merlin's Housekeeper

I never use drugs of that kind even when I'm sick, not because I'm strongly against drugs or something like that but because I am strongly against unnatural substances. all those chemically produced drugs are a no in my book. Humans evolved over thousands of years to use natural cures from plants like kawakawa and I for one will not go against thousands of years of evolution (or gods will, depending on your beliefs) For example, ginger root has been proven to be a much more affective cure for travel sickness than any chemically produced drug and it has no side affects at all (except to taste horrible if you don't like ginger) that's why I love studying plants it's amazing to learn about all the medicine growing in your own backyard.

Then again for all those people out there who can't be bothered learning this stuff, I suppose manufactured drugs are your only real choice, unless you want to try curling up into a ball and waiting for it to go away

17. Maggy Gummi Ship Junkie

In ways, drugs have probably made our health worse in a way of making us dependent on them...almost like an addiction...

Also, they give us a false sense of security, for example doing everything wrong health wise but expecting a miracle or getting it fixed magically by a pill or substance.

18. Luka Deafening silence

I view this topic rather liberally. If you want to take Drugs, continue. A lot of people always say how bad drugs are for you, but honestly most of that is exaguration and ignorance. Most people say they don't want to live to grow old so if they feel better taking drugs let them. And the government isn't doing a good job either. Illegal drugs are so accesible even for young people it's not even funny. It also makes no sence that some drugs like Cannabis are forbidden while Alcohol or Nicotin is allowed. Drug Addiction is a big problem most people don't realize. IIRC almost half of the citizens here in Germany are addicted to caffeine. Yes of course it's not as bad as other additcions but people completly disregard the long term health problems. I know a lot of people that are probably addicted to Cigarretes and Weed, nonetheless they are still social and are able to attend school without huge problems. I for myself try not to do any kind of drugs for the most time, because my focus is on Sports and drugs only weaken my performance. I have to admit that I have tryed out a lot of different stuff over the years but didn't indulge in any for a long time. I try not to drink beer or coffee but maybe once a month i do occasionaly drink with my friends e.g. when I go to social events etc. and I do enjoy the feeling alkohol gives you :D untill the next morning that is, however moderation is the key here and I think if you can respect that you won't have health problems.