Harry Potter Series [General Discussion Thread]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Marluxia55, May 30, 2007.

?

Did The Last Book Of Harry Potter Satisfy you or not ?

1. Yes it did

42 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Maybe

18 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. No

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. havent read it

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. Misty gimme kiss

Harry Potter is indeed a great series, and I agree: finish the series (although sometimes it's better to skip the Epilogue in Deathly Hallows and make up your own ending). Harry Potter was my first real series, and other ones I would suggest picking up are the Inheritance Trilogy (Eragon, Eldest), Lord of the Rings (even though it's hard for me to read), and I've heard that Twilight is amazing.

2. Nailpolish <3 Hollow Bastion Committee

Harry Potter made me sad because it was so long when i was smaller. But I finished em all, all in less than 3 days =] (EACH)

I hope you finish soon!

3. O R A N G E C is the heavenly option

between an erupting earth and an exploding sky
    If you're reading the Harry Potter books, you won't need any new books for a while, becuase one you read them all you'll want to read them over becuase they're so good.

4. Kingdom Glory Banned

IMO, Harry Potter is just another fairy tale with wizards, witches and a protagonist.
    But then, I haven't read them.
    So, ya.
    <<
    I've just heard the movies aren't as good as teh book.

5. Nailpolish <3 Hollow Bastion Committee

the movies need to burn in hell xD

thats how bad they are =/

but it isn't really a fairytale. It doesn't really end happily ever after for everyone.

6. Darkaeroga Traverse Town Homebody

Thanks for suppoorting me most of you and i will read as much as i can do get them done...PS. Ris , They are making a 7th movie with the same charecter as Daniel Radcliff (harry) signed up for both movies and will do them , theyve all ready are starting to make Half Blood Prince , Its gonna come out Nov 21 2008 ...Hope fully ill get to the book half blood prince by then.

7. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

Haha Ris, your whole post sounds so much like me. My English teacher last year told me she can't think of Hermione Granger anymore without thinking of me, too. Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson have already signed for the seventh movie, so you don't have to worry. I adore ranting about Harry Potter, especially when it comes to ships...I'm a mega Ron/Hermione shipper. I wish Harry Potter Jeopardy existed so I could compete ^_^. As far as obsessions go, Kingdom Hearts is second only to Harry Potter.

Except for Lord of the Rings, I've read all of those as well, and I'm very skeptical about them. The Inheritance Triology is very, very imaginative and you can tell Paolini put a lot of effort into creating his world, though the story does have a few flaws. They tend to drag on for too long and, if Paolini knows what's good for him, he will stay far, FAR away from writing romance for a while, because the romance he wrote between Eragon and Arya was...ugh. Arya gets on my nerves because she has absolutely no flaws.

I adore the Twilight series, but it is also one of my favorite ranting subjects. The main character gets on my nerves so much. I found out she was actually modeled after the author, and as a writer I know it's not the best idea to base the main character on yourself, so I'm not a big fan of that. The main character is such a drama queen, shares many physical traits with the author, and is one of those characters that can't get guys to stop asking her out on dates. I think there are literally seven guys who flirt with her in the first book, and some even fight over her. However, I read it for the main male character mostly. He's adorable.

I'm sure getting off topic here. -_-

8. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

I loved absolutely everything about this book except:

1) Fred's death (I just keep telling myself "He's in a coma, he's in a coma...")
    2) The children's names in the Epilogue. Very cliche. The Albus Severus kid is going to get beaten up with a name like that, I swear...
    3) Luna and Neville didn't end up together. Ah well, at least I got Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny.

Everything else about the book was phenomenal.

In an interview she revealed that the person was cut out of the series and therefore never got to do magic. There was a lot of speculation that it was Arianna Dumbledore, but JKR ended up cutting it out. Very disappointing, I know.

Hehe. I screamed at the top of my lungs and stared at the sentence for ten seconds. Then I left the room and called people to tell them the good news. I'm such a Ron/Hermione nerd.

9. Roxas is Hot I'd lick his Sea Salt stick anytime. ♥

Oh thank GOD! I've been worried about new actors and bleck. Nobody can beat those three. ^^

I know. I love Twilight! Edward sounds so...SEXY. I can't wait to see him in the movies. He better be hot, or I'm not going to bother wasting my money. T_T

I know how you feel with the romance in the Eragon series. BLECK. I know that it's kinda...kinda similar to EdwardxBella in a way (the age differences...) but honest to god. It's pretty sick if you ask me. Eragon needs to keep his eyes on the road, not on Arya's freakin' boobs. >_>

As everyone else, I totally recommend Eragon/Eldest and the Twilight series, Darkaeroga.

10. Darkaeroga Traverse Town Homebody

11. Roxas is Hot I'd lick his Sea Salt stick anytime. ♥

It really depends. If you want any books that are related to Harry Potter...Well, it's a one of a kind deal. I've read a lot of books, and none can really relate to HP.

But there is Eragon and Eldest, which deal with magic and dragons like others have mentioned. There's also Twilight which deals with (good) vampires...Artemis Fowl...I haven't read it, but it's apparently good. @_@

I have other books that I recommend...

12. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

I enjoyed the first book in the Dark Hills Divide series, so maybe you could try that. It's not very much like Harry Potter, but it is a fantasy and it's an interesting, good read.

13. Darkaeroga Traverse Town Homebody

14. Valium Hollow Bastion Committee

I liked it alot but the fight at the end could have been better in my eyes

15. Hakurei Reimu Take my hand. And then I'll fly with you right up

I have yet to read it...heck, I've never finished a single Harry Potter book cuz I don like the series...

16. Cocohints "Up to now, the most discussed topic is global war

Well, this thread pretty much sums up the ending for you, so you don't have to read it if you already know you don't like the series. Though if you've never finished one of the books (NOT movies!), I recommend you give them a chance.

17. Cocohints "Up to now, the most discussed topic is global war

Most people already said it - HP will devour your soul and it will be the best thing that's ever happened to you. I used to be part of the sceptic crowd because I had gotten the impression that it was meant for only children... To hell with that, HP has everything you want to read! :3 And I'm also a person who loves to dream away with magic. Feel free to discuss about the content as you read them, if there's some parts you don't understand you can ask us to see if we can help you. *sounds like Ris knows her subject the most*

Sadly, I haven't read much else.. I did plan to read the LotR triology, I've read the Chronicles of Narnia (it has more battles and animals than magic, I guess - I still like 'em - ending was a hella shocker) and now that I've seen the movie I'll probably end up reading the Golden Compass too.

18. LikeNeverBefore Merlin's Housekeeper

I didn't really like it. It didn't have that excitement that the 2nd and 4th had, it was just a boring read for me. THe characters got so annoying and old.

19. cloud's buddy Traverse Town Homebody

haven't read it it was too long

20. Destiny's Force Mess with the best, lose like the rest...

Really? I thought it was Trelawney. She used her wand to levitate her crystal balls during the last fight. And as far as I remember, I don't remember her ever using any real magic throughout the entire series...(The prophecies don't count.)