Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Misty, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Soap Hollow Bastion Committee

this looks badazz. this is going to be a good ending.....hopefully. i'm waiting patiently.

2. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Just saw the first part for the first time last week and I loved it. There were a few points I didn't like that well but I blame that on the adaptation. Anyway, I don't really see how people didn't like how it was "so much camping." It didn't seem to me like it was that much at all. My girlfriend had never read nor seen a single Harry Potter book or film and she watched it with me and liked it.

3. Patman Bof

I just came out of the theater, I watched part 2. There' s a lot of narrative choices and changes from the book that bugged me, as in all the Potter movies since the third one (some changes make sense from a cinematic point of view while others just seem to come out of nowhere for no logical reason), but at least it' s the first Potter movie that didn' t bore me at all between action sequences, so I guess that' s quite a feat in itself.

4. Misty gimme kiss

Just returned from the midnight.
    Good god.

Well, let's start with the fact that this is basically the end of a series that has been such a huge part of my childhood. Add that to the fact that there are very few movies that I don't cry during, you could say that going into this movie, I was prepared for water works. Which there were. Lots of.

It was just... fantastic. I can't even compare it to the rest of the movies right now, I can't talk about its faults or anything, if it even has them. It was just terrific.

There were some things changed from the books that irked me a little, but nothing major. The most notable is probably the Ron/Hermione kiss. I absolutely adored it in the books, and while I did know that they had removed SPEW completely from the movies, and therefore the kiss would make no sense if it was kept in its book form, I still was hopeful. But I'm pleased either way.

Also, Neville/Luna. Best. Book. Change. Ever.
    Everyone wants it and everyone knows they want it.

I am still upset at how Tonks & Lupin were handled but I just can't care anymore. It's over and it's amazing and omg.
    Always.

5. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I know, I was a bit mad we never saw Teddy in the end. Also the Neville/Luna was just BRILLIANT.

Also, I have no idea if it was hormones or what but the dragon scene made me baw.

and wasnt the gold in the vault supposed to burn at the touch?

6. Plums Wakanda Forever

It was. :B

Ad I also can't find any real notable flaws. Maybe when no one explained how Luna went from cottage => castle, but **** man this mvie was great. I absolutely loved the scene when McGonagall calle forth the stone soldiers and everyone was putting the protectice charms up. It just really gave that me finale feel.

Also, I didn't cry about this in the book, but...
    Snape and Lily.
    That flashback was just so much.
    Especially him holding her dear god.

But overall, this movie was fantastic and I am totes buying the DVD when it comes out. :B

7. Patman Bof

Everyone already nailed the things that bugged me, except :
    The Neville/Luna couple. I just can' t picture them together.
    Furthermore "Accio Quote" (a website dedicated to JK Rowling quotes) says :
    JK sees Neville and Luna as very different people. She says that, although they share a certain isolation within the walls of Hogwarts, this isn’t enough to foster true love. They may be friends but "Neville would always find Luna’s wilder flights of fancy alarming."
    I' ll always have more fun watching Neville twitching uncomfortably whenever Luna opens her mouth, as in the fifth movie, than picturing them together. ^^

8. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

My biggest critique:
    In my opinion, they didn't do the epilogue justice. All we really saw was Albus and Harry. We barely saw Draco and Scorpio, we saw about three seconds of James and Lily, I don't think Ron even had any lines in it, we saw the top of Hugo's head, and we didn't see Teddy at all (but they did cast someone as Teddy! 'Sup wif dat?). I remember them saying that the first time they filmed the epilogue it was very rushed because King's Cross only gave them a certain amount of time to use a platform. Something tells me they used that first, rushed filming of it. o.O

Oh, and I was disappointed that they didn't go in the Ravenclaw Common Room, which was where the Carrows (whom we didn't see in the movie, really) were supposed to figure out that Harry is in the school. But I still liked how Harry revealed himself in the Great Hall.

Otherwise, the movie was just <3333333333333333333. I admit that NevilleXLuna probably wouldn't actually work in the books, but OH MY F*** I LOVED IT TOO MUCH. :=D:

The King's Cross when Harry was dead was exactly how I imagined it when I read it. The Gringotts scene was awesome (I didn't mind too much that they left out that the objects burned them).

And Sean Biggerstaff (Oliver Wood) said he would have a "blink and you'll miss it" appearance in the film. I must have blinked 'cause I didn't see him. ;_;

And McGonagall is officially cooler than Dumbledore.

That's all I have the capacity to comment on right now.

9. Jayn

So. Midnight showing was sold out for my town in about a few hours, so I ended up buying a ticket for the 3am showing. And I waited there, for hours. About 8 hours. We brought the Harry Potter movies and managed to get through the last three before the main event. (we had watched the beginning ones earlier at my friends place.)

I'm going to LA today, so I was well aware I would only get 2 hours of sleep. I mean, really, is Harry Potter worth jeopardizing my making it to my flight? Yes.

Harry Potter - Childhood.
    I remember when I was eleven, waiting for my letter to Hogwarts and crushing on Ron Weasley.

So let me just say that though I was exhausted and delirious, I did cry. A lot. It was totally worth it. I can't believe it's over.

I can't even bring my self to critique it heavily right now, I'm just in the after-glow. Totally going to see it again, and seeing it in IMAX/3D was just...gaaawd.

Luna and Neville = <3
    Ron and Hermione's kiss = Meh.
    The way the deaths were handled? = Snape's death made me cry. Geroge's didn't. I felt like it was rushed.

Um. That's all. I'll come back to edit this..later.

10. KH2man13 Gummi Ship Junkie

Phenomenal.

This movie was utterly beautiful.

I loved every minute of this movie. The King's Cross scene was exactly as I imagined it. And Ron speaking Parseltounge cracked me up! xD

I also loved Neville's speech near the end. It really showed that he wasn't the scared and meek little boy from Sorcerer's Stone.

@Neville/Luna- ... Eh, I could sorta see it work.

I may edit in more later. I've still got conflicted emotions about the whole thing.

11. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I was so glad that I got out of the hospital in time to finally see this. The theater near my house did a double feature of part one and part two, which I guess is a good way to see these films.

I'm still coming off a high from this movie. Everything seemed to just work out great. The movies have always been different from the books, and because of that, it told a slightly different story. There's nothing wrong with that; in fact, that gives readers even more query on what is going to happen in the final movie. It felt a bit rushed in the beginning, like it was trying to race the trio to getting them to Hogwarts. Yes, that's where the main plot of this movie is, but it seemed like they didn't want you to wait and would probably get the viewers lost.

With the deaths in this movie, it seemed a bit underplayed (excluding Snape's). In the books, they tell you that Tonks, Lupin, Fred, and a whole bunch of other important characters dying. I just thought that they would show them actually being killed, pushing that idea that they did die for something important. Just seeing the bodies of Tonks and Lupin just made it seem like "Oh yeah, those guys died, no big deal".

And I think Yates wants to keep Albus Dumbledore as a pure character in the movie series. In the final book, you see that Dumbledore always did stuff for the good of others, but seemed to enjoy manipulating others to do his bidding. You don't get any of that here, and once his brother is introduced, Harry even says that he doesn't care what happened between him and Albus. To me, it just seemed weird to not even shed light about what happened in Albus's childhood or even what happened to his sister.

Still, it was a very good film. I enjoyed how it ended and loved how everything seemed to be completely quiet at a certain point in the movie.

PS: I think the Nevile/Luna pairing was a good idea. In the movie version of Harry Potter, I can really see it working. Although, I would've liked to see them too in the epilogue

12. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I think everyone is a bit upset about Snapes death. When I read it in the book even I started to get a little upset. Mind you, a little, because I'm not very sympathetic for many things. It's just always upsetting when they kill off a major character.

13. Plums Wakanda Forever

Also, I do want to point out another thing.

I think that they could've done a better job explaining Voldemort's death scene. I mean, yeah his killing curse had rebounded as said in the book, but there was no real visual to show that. If anyone didn't read the books, they'd just end up maybe thinking Expelliarmus became the biggest bamfest move eva.

Also, why did Harry not mend his wand with the Elder Wand before he broke it?
    Because I would imagine Draco would want his wand back, and Harry too. xD

14. Chevalier Crystal Princess

So I saw this movie, and I liked it. Probably not as much as fans of it, but it wasn't bad at all.

Neville <3333 took a level in badass, making him instantly sexy. And I thought the romance between him and Luna was really cute.

The part where Minerva McGonagall steps in to fight Snape, that was way epic, she's so badass too. The epicness started to kick in from there, with the whole barrier thing.

I also agree with most, the deaths were kind of downplayed and ignored. Though, it felt a bit strong when Herms attacked a monster who killed a Hogwarts girl. I don't know, her lifeless corpse kind of creeped me out.

How they killed Bellatrix was kind of lame, too. Misty showed me a comic once, and the comic conveyed it far better, and more emotional. In here it was just like Ginny got in the way and the Mom saved her.

And then the Harry death scene which isn't explained. I guess you'd need to read the book to know. And the Malfoy doing good thing was also a bit too subtle.

It could have done a lot of things better, but it was quite good.

15. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

About the comic, I'm guessing it is by Makani. Makani had alot of things that made me disappointed with the movies.

16. Styx That's me inside your head.

I saw the last one a few days ago. It wasn't bad, but they could have done a lot better. It had a lot of potential that just wasn't used. The movie hurried through its own plot to get to the final battle sooner, and even that wasn't as epic as I had hoped. Meh, maybe I expected too much from it.

17. Daxa~ #stalker

I saw the movie yesterday....
    And while yes,it was good,and of course I started crying...
    Alan Rickman D:
    I honestly expected more from it.
    I dunno,the whole thing was just built up to be amazing....and then it kinda wasnt.
    But meh.

18. Misty gimme kiss

It was, haha. This one, if anyone is curious. But I agree, if I was JKR I would totes make her do a HP comic.

But to address what tummer said about Dumbledore:
    I do think they were a bit hesitant to go into his character, not only because it is a pretty big realization for the reader that Dumbledore kind of was not the best guy, but because it's such a long story. I do think the film could have benefited from another hour of screentime, to make the deaths more epic and to clear up some stuff.

19. Plums Wakanda Forever

I think you mean tummer you derp. :B

But I do agree; Dumbedore's story was pretty rushed in the film. In the book, we were really able to see Dumbledore's character come full circle, and it was his story that pretty much drove the plot from Bagshot's to the Deathly Hallows and such. I do agree with another hour of sceentime, like Misty said. Not to mention I wanted to see Fred's last moments of bamf-hood. ;__;

20. C This silence is mine

So yeah, I saw this last thursday and this might come as a shock to you all but... I didn't like it. I've forgotten most of the things that happened in it, but my main concern was that it was just kinda... Boring... and the writing wasn't very good, the whole film just seems so odd.

First of all, when they get trapped in that bank thing "Oh hey, a dragon! Let's ride it out of here and then jump off from it into a lake!" That just seemed like they were pulling stuff right out of their ass.

The film had a lot of worn out cliches too, like Nilus being all tough because there's a barrier between him and the army. Who didn't know that the barrier would break and they would chase him over the bridge, before staring into eachother's perfect eyes none the less. They also had the old "run across a bridge while it's exploding, then fall off at the end and everyone thinks you're dead, but then heroically climb up at the end" I would have enjoyed it much more if he had actually died there. Speaking of deaths, this movie seemed to play it really safe with the deaths of the good guys (Snape is a special case and therefore doesn't count). I remember two important good people dying, one of which I can't remember at all and the other being one of the twins. "Thank god we still have one left of him".

Suddenly Ron has learned snakeian because Harry apperantly speaks in his sleep! You people know what I mean about this just being pulling stuff right out of your ass? Because if he actually talked in his sleep in the other films then I don't remember this happening at all. Suddenly there's Draco! Oh no, his henchmen managed to set fire to the entire room and now everyone is trapped! Thank god there's a couple of brooms just lying around here, if not we might have just been worried.

The action wasn't very exciting either, it's not very much fun watching ogres and statues fight imo and by god, did they really use the "It's my power against yours! HNNNGH" three times, Harry versus Voldemort? That is such a tired cliche by now.

Overall I didn't like it, the story wasn't very good and the writing was worse, the action wasn't exciting and whenever I went for jokes it just seemed so... Out of place. It did have some good moments though, like Snape's flashback thingy, but that wasn't enough to make up for the rest of the film.

Edit: I forgot to talk about how I was really dissapointed at how this film didn't have much magic... Or rather, spells. It's not cool to watch them shoot laserbeams out of their wands, I want some of that cool explody magic and stuff, the variety! That's what I liked about this series in the first place. Also: "Ohai Harry Potter *uses spell" "Well apperantly I'm dead now lolz"

It's fun being the odd one.