Traditional Art hands

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by 61, Nov 14, 2012.

1. 61 No. B

To be clear I hate drawing, and this is an assignment.

What can I do better? I don't like drawing to begin with, and hands are by far one of the worst things to draw, something about the shadow on the back of the hand really bothers me. Also, this was supposed to be a stressed pose, as in the muscles must be tense, yet I feel like that's not evident here, and I can't figure out what to do differently after messing around with it for a while. I also feel like it needs more detail but I don't know what.

[​IMG]

overall I don't think it's bad, I just don't like it

2. Misty gimme kiss

Out of curiosity, were you using a physical reference for this drawing?

I am a horrific artist but my sister is quite skilled and I've picked up some advice, number one being, there is nothing better than a physical reference, especially for one of the tougher parts of the body to draw, like hands. Firstly, you need to consider how each individual finger bends--consider the joints. Your drawn thumb is a bit too curved for reality. Thumbs bend at the central joint, and the upper half has a bit of a curve to it, depending on the person, but otherwise remain rather straight.

The rest of your fingers, too, are never quite ruler-straight, but they're not one fluid curve either. It's more of a jagged edge.

I know in the basic art classes I took in high school they often forced me to use my own hand as a reference (which is just dreadfully uncomfortable), but it can help to use someone else's because you can study from all angles. Draw only from one angle, of course, but having a 360° view of something can be a lot of help.

Again, I know close to nothing about drawing, but yeah. Hope some of this helps.