Hacker Group Anonymous Aims to Destroy Facebook on Nov. 5

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Kubo, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Y'know, before reading this thread I didn't have much of an opinion on this.

Now I want to see it succeed just to see the look on all your faces.

And AnonPlus looks kinda neat, if it lives up to what it promises. Granted, seems many more promises are made than are kept, but... Well, I for one have a real reason to give it a try, a very serious privacy concern that it would undoubtedly alleviate.

2. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

3. libregkd -

4. SparksOfLogic Merlin's Housekeeper

Anon would not take down Facebook. They have nothing to gain from taking down a social site. Most of them are honestly good people trying to make a difference in the world. The only problem with the way that they do things is how they are doing it. While normal people go out to soup kitchens and help the homeless, Anon workers strive day and night to improve themselves and bring down the corrupted. They burn hours improving their programming abilities and thinking of ways to decrease the amount of suck in this world, only to have people hate them and talk crap about them. So what if the way they are working is "mean"? If someone gets in their way, they better be confident in Java, Perl, and every other programming language you can imagine. They started off in a loosely structured site and developed to the force that they are. What's anyone else doing to help the world? This planet is corrupt. Every day it gets a little darker and I appreciate any bit of light that someone tries to bring to it.

They are Anonymous. They do not forgive. They do not forget. They are legion.

Also, the only reason they managed to pull of a DDOS attack so well was because they were able to improve on it well beyond what any other hacking group could. They sent a beta hacking program to people who wanted to play around with it and they got great data from it. "Imma firin' my laser" became on icon to the ionic cannon users and it also because a great starting point to those who would later grow up to indulge themselves in computers. Long live Anon.

5. miaulement Traverse Town Homebody

Wow, really? Just... really?

It'd be interesting to see what happens, that's for sure. I'm leaning towards that it won't happen, but I kind of want to see what they'll try.
    They are Anonymous. They do not forgive. They do not forget.

6. May Kitsune Destiny Islands Resident

I personal love that anon is taking action against FB because i'm sick of FB giving away information to the government... The whoel point of FB was to get in touch with old friends but once it became popular the government was like we'll support and pay you if you do this for us and like any other person would the fell the greed -.-'

7. Malice Merlin's Housekeeper

Whether it be Facebook or other matters, right or wrong, I find an appreciation in them. I'll be dammed if I'm struck down for the comment, but considering alot of things that I've seen about the government ever since they caught my eye, it's nice to see a group of people with power that aren't running a giant landmark.

Either way, I guess tommorow'll be the day that we get to see if they can really take down facebook. At first I didn't think it could be done, but these days, change is something as common as my visits to 7Eleven for lunch every day. That, and I'd love to see how people react when they can't sign onto facebook. I've got a few friends who never stop talking about it, so it'll be good for a laugh.

8. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

anonplus RT @anonops: We told you many times ddosing Facebook was a fake operation.

I thought people already knew this...

It's 100% up to you how much information you wish to share on Facebook. When you register, you accept that they store the information you enter. The only thing you really have to do, is to not use your full name/ use a nickname instead. Tons of people do it. It shouldn't be a problem though, unless you have something to hide. Absolutely everything one posts on Facebook as far as information goes, the government already knows, and then some. It's all up to the individual how much he/she wants to share.

9. May Kitsune Destiny Islands Resident

The thing is that the general public knows nothing of it because they don't read anything when they join any website. Plus with the delete button they feel "safe" but it truly isn't deleted completely. It stays on record which is what upsets me. If you have a delete button shouldn't it be DELETED? Plus they have no right to give that information to the government... It's our choice and ours alone to give it to them. The government shouldn't be involved they're trying to control too much. Also if you put a nickname how are your old friends lets say from elementary going to find you? Or other friends that you meet? You shouldn't have to use a nickname to get in touch with friends...

10. Misty gimme kiss

That's not the way the internet works, unfortunately. Or computers in general. Think about it: you delete a file from your hard drive, and it goes into your Recycle Bin (or Trash, if you're using a Mac). It can sit in there for ages provided you don't clean out your Recycle Bin, and even then, apparently the recovery of deleted files is occasionally possible. On this site, if you hit the delete button on one of your posts, the post is only "soft deleted"--meaning it still can be recovered/restored.

If there's something you truly want removed, I'll use KHV as an example again, if you PM a staff member and have a legitimate reason for wanting it totally gone, we'll try to work with you. But it's the practice of websites to backup all their data frequently; this way, if anything should happen, the backup can be restored. So even a permanent removal as I described may not be a true removal.

That's just the way the world works. You have to think about what you're posting on the internet--people are agreeing to Facebook's terms of service whether they read it or not. It's their own fault if they choose not to read it, it's like signing a legal document without having any idea what it says.

11. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

100% Agreed. If you are aware of it, and still ignore it, it's your own fault. But as long as you don't have anything to hide, you don't have to worry. Contrary to (unfortunately) common belief, the government is not watching you 24/7. They most likely never watch you. There's a reason piracy works...

Funfact: I don't remember which company did this, but some company included in their Terms & Conditions than whoever read this (it was included in the T&C), would receive (I don't remember quite, but I believe somewhere around) $1000. If memory serves me right, only a handful of people received it.

12. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

That's not the website's (or any site's) fault, though. I'll be the first to admit that I don't ever read any terms and conditions, but they're there to be read and there's a reason most places have a "I agree to the Terms and Conditions" box for you to check before joining. If we don't read it, and something's in there that we don't like, that's our fault.
    Also...it's the government lol most of the time, they're able to get some information about you without you even knowing. Sure, they may have a legitimate reason or it may be something unimportant, but it's not really just your choice. Also some laws come into place here (not lying on censuses, tax information, etc.) that require you to give them information and that's just the way it is. They're a government, it's their entire purpose to be in charge.
    If you use a nickname, that's your fault. Like Noroz said, it's up to you to put what information you want on facebook, but if you want to do one thing (be found by old friends) and you stop that thing from happening (using a nickname), that's your fault.

13. Tyrant Valvatorez Gummi Ship Junkie

So.......was the hack a lie? Or did Annon fail? Don't see anything really different on Facebook now.

14. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

It was a fake operation, as I stated earlier.

15. Malice Merlin's Housekeeper

You know...
    Even if it is an operation, per say that it was serious...The day technically isn't over yet. Who knows. It's leading on false hope to say it, but regardless, you never know if it might still happen.

16. libregkd -

17. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You