Hacker Group Anonymous Aims to Destroy Facebook on Nov. 5

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Kubo, Aug 11, 2011.

1. libregkd -

2. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

3. libregkd -

4. EvilMan_89 Code Master

i wish people would stop paying Anonymous the attention they want. i personally find them annoying because they think they're so cool. i doubt any attack they do could take facebook down for long. i'm pretty sure that facebook would be back up within hours of the attack (assuming it's a DDOS attack).

5. Llave Superless Moderator

True. i'm not a hacker nor do i know anything in terms of such things, but i don't think they would be able to get rid of it for good. This is facebook guys, everything's linked to it. it's everywhere. (That's not to say it couldn't happen though)

Just curious, since i don't know anything, what's DDOS? Is there a difference from anything else? (I know, i'm a noob..)

6. EvilMan_89 Code Master

DDOS is short for Distributed Denial of Service. this attack is meant to knock a server offline by overloading it with requests. so, it's like crowding a McDonald's with so many customers who don't buy anything just so that real customers won't be able to get into the store because it's so crowded. i heard that Anonymous failed at attacking Amazon with DDOS because their servers could actually handle the huge amount of requests that were part of the attack.

7. Llave Superless Moderator

That's an interesting way to do it... I don't think that will work, wouldn't anyone essentially be able to do that? You would think Facebook could handle a lot, since it has accounts for each individual. I dunno how many have accounts, but i guess you could say they may have it backed up for the entire human populous. (6 Billion) but that's a stretch... i thought that they would screw something up while everyone's on on November 5, since they announced that, i think people have an instinctive curiosity to see if they will, so they will be on. When there's so many people on, then it will be hard to trace.

I dunno, just a thought.

8. Amaury Legendary Hero

That is pretty interesting.

The only part I don't get, however, is the requests part. How do they overload it with a lot of requests?
    Also, in this case, what does requests mean?

9. KH2man13 Gummi Ship Junkie

Well, like Llave said, Facebook takes commands from a few billion people. I'm pretty sure it could handle a DDoS attack.

10. Misty gimme kiss

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but DDoS:
    Basically, a server can only handle so many people at a time. That's why sometimes, when sites have a lot of people on them, they slow down or even stop responding. There are several methods for doing so, some as simple as just getting a lot of people to visit at a set time, others like a ping of death etc. The intent is to bring down the site, or disrupt the service, as the name suggests, preventing real customers from getting in (or at the very least making it difficult) and annoying the company.

I honestly wouldn't consider it hacking really, all they're doing is overloading the servers. It's temporary as well--they can't really permanently bring down the site without breaking in, unless they continue the attack forever.
    Evilman explains it better, haha.
    This is what makes the whole "Facebook is evil" thing so dumb. Facebook only knows what you tell them. If you're stupid enough to put things on there that you don't want people knowing, then well, you're getting what's coming to you.
    This is what bothers me too, they've built such a cult of personality for themselves. If they're "anonymous," why is their group named? Why do they have a website? Why are they announcing their attacks before they happen?
    Contributes I suppose to the theory that this isn't them, and just someone trying to skirt off of their fame, but they seem very interested in theatrics these days.

11. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

Am I the only one that thinks that it's NOT Anon?

Compare this: [video=youtube;JCbKv9yiLiQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCbKv9yiLiQ[/video]

To the video that Kubo posted. Totally different.

But either way, it won't happen. There is no reason for them TO attack.

12. libregkd -

13. Aura Goddess

Myspace was apparently hacked. Maybe it's the same people? Who knows.

To be honest, I don't think I'd even care. I rarely use facebook, I don't even talk to people on facebook. The only important people I have on there are like...a handful. And those people I can easily text or just go to the other room or next door.

As it's already been said, if they're really going hack facebook, they shouldn't have made it publically. If anything, facebook will be up in a matter of hours or days if it were to be hacked.

14. Llave Superless Moderator

uhh... just out of curiosity, was Anon the ones that hacked PSN? it doesn't seem in their nature to... It seems all they do is post vids, claim they will destroy, you can't hide and type an essay of words in the Mac search bar and click start speaking...

15. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

16. libregkd -

17. Llave Superless Moderator

18. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

Sony is worth a lot of money. That money comes in because people access their services 24/7. If Sony goes down for even a day, people stop spending, and therefore Sony takes a hit with income. Now multiply that by a month, and that's how futile it is.

19. libregkd -

20. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

DOS attacks ain't that simple actually, each person doesn't have only one connection to the site- each person is making thousands of connections when he wants to attack like that (using various tools). So thousands of connections x many people x a long time = overloading? No not really, overloading is a simple term used when there are too many users at once, it doesn't necesserily mean successful ddos attack. A dos attack does more than just overloading the server, it just breaks it. The result ranges from running out of bandwidth from the host (don't be fooled it's a serious problem) to breaking the CPU cores or other hardware parts that just cant be fixed and need replacement. That's why noone can really tell in how long it will be back up, it could be hours or days depending on the damage.
    A successful dos attack doesn't mean that when it's over everything will go back to normal because the traffic and connections are normal again. If that was the case then noone would bother using dos attacks. The purpose is to damage the system.

There are ways to prevent dos attacks though, if you're prepared. But I'll keep those to myself.

Also:

---

Source: RedOrbit Staff & Wire Reports