Film Guardians of the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Ienzo, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

The whole problem with marvel cinematic universe, was THOR when they had the chance of putting MAGIC in that world they just made it TECHNOLOGY :(.. So it will be awkward when we see characters like Dr. Strange appearing, so I guess it figures that they will skip nova force.
    I am still keeping my expectations low, So I will probably enjoy this movie, but more important than the movie
    per se is how DC is all like "WE HAVE TO BE CAUTIOUS DEPICTING WONDER WOMAN SO SHE DOESN'T LOOK DORKY" and Marvel just puts a ridiculous raccoon and an Ent giving zero f* .

2. Ghost King's Apprentice

:O Whoa. Hold up. What do you got against Rocket. He's a pretty awesome character.
    And I'm still actually disappointed about the whole Nova Force thing that would have been awesome(would be even better if the put Richard Rider in it but hey, not my movie.)

3. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

The more I see of this movie, the more excited I am to see it! I love the oddball sense of humor so far, and the plot is shaping up to be really interesting~

4. Ghost King's Apprentice

5. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I doubt many people have heard of Guardians of the Galaxy before this film so it will be a good way of putting it on their radar and publicising the comics more so people can know the characters. One thing about this film for me is it combines superheroes and sci-fi which are two things I just love so I am bound to enjoy this film. I do love the addition of a personified animal character because it just makes them more interesting to see such a normal creature behave in such a familiar way, I don't know, it's like Reepacheep in Narnia and, in some ways, Sebastian from Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

6. Ghost King's Apprentice

7. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

8. Ghost King's Apprentice

Every time I watch it the two things that stand out the most is that weird definition of losers and it's better than 11%

9. 61 No. B

10. Misty gimme kiss

Ayy so as some of you might know I work in a movie theater and we did a staff preview of this tonight. Thought I'd post some thoughts before bed.

First off, I was decently excited for this movie. I like Chris Pratt a lot and it seems like a more Star Wars-y Marvel. The trailers are also quite fun. I'm not into comics really and the only Marvel movie I've seen in full was Avengers so take my opinions for what you will.

The movie is fun. And that's great. Theater business has been **** this whole summer and this movie will definitely have a good turnout. I thought a lot of the humor was a bit... cheap, not terrifically clever or original, but it's there and it'll definitely please crowds.

But that's also my biggest problem with the movie: I don't think it ever strikes a good balance. My coworkers did talk through some scenes so maybe I just missed things but it never successfully tied me to the characters besides making me laugh at them. You do root for them of course and you get glimpses of their backstories but nothing that's going to emotionally tie them to you. I suppose that isn't absolutely necessary but they feel more like caricatures than anything.

I don't mean to **** on the movie though. It's fun and it keeps you entertained. The story is light at best (there's definitely a neat universe and history here but they don't explain more than is absolutely necessary, which is fair). Go into the movie to be entertained and have a laugh, but don't expect your mind to be blown by anything more than special effects.

Since people have discussed it on and off in this thread, Thanos .

Can't speak for how they'll tie it into other Marvel movies.

11. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

This trailer makes the film look so fun : D and now I am excited! I do hope I get the chance to go and see it as all my friends are poor ;-; and I am poor...

I guess it's a shame really if this is the case, I like characters to be more than just caricatures, I sort of hope that the tone of the film makes up for it or is the sort of tone where emotional connections aren't overly important. Still, I will go and see it : D also, I am incredibly envious of your job right now Misty :3

12. 61 No. B

Guys I'm seeing this tomorrow and I am so nervous for this movie. Guardians is one of the few things in Marvel that I actually care about and from what I've seen from the trailers I'm really on the fence about the portrayal of these characters and like I said earlier, this movie will define how these characters are viewed by the public, which could potentially be damaging depending on how well the movie handles them. And I also stand by not being a huge fan of the casting like I mentioned before. uugghh im so nervous and @Misty I was going to read your post but no I just can't lol

13. Krowley Moderator

Really hoping to catch it this weekend. It's a nice change of pace from all the other Marvel films that take place on Earth. (Primarily New York)
    I know there are going to be plenty of things I will take time adjusting too, but I'm an avid comic and film fan, so I'll just try to find the best since they've combined both mediums.

14. Ghost King's Apprentice

I actually thought it was pretty good. What still gets to me is the lack of the nova force but I guess I can get over it. Then there was the after credits scene, It was kinda of surprising and I honestly wasn't expecting that. Anyway, since we already know there's going to be a sequel I think it's safe to assume that Peter's father will make an appearance.

15. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

What about the lack of Nova Prime, period. I find it doubtful Richard Rider would not be involved in the events which took place in the movie, considering he is essentially Nova Corps' front man. Apparently James Gunn scripted a Nova cameo in the initial draft of the film, but he was removed from it in the final script. Thus, the film utilizes major components of Richard's backstory and has the setup to his cameo established but it's never delivered. And why was he removed?

Gunn was playing favorites.

Nova might not be Gunn's favorite hero, but he certainly appeals to other demographics. His choice to omit Richard Rider from the MCU doesn't make sense from a marketing point of view because, prior to the GotG film, Rich was the most well-known Marvel hero whose exploits involved space travel. He appealed to gamers when he debuted in Marvel VS Capcom 3, and his action figure sold best from the GotG lot. So that's two demographics Gunn is missing out on.

But, y'know. Silly helmet. Like a raccoon rocking a machine gun is any stranger.

16. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I got to go see the movie yesterday. And...it was good, but I do have my reservations.

I just couldn't get into the first half of the movie at all. For some reason, I just couldn't feel much emotion (besides the prologue). I mean, it was fun at points, but I was kinda getting bored. It was being random for the sake of being random, which I don't usually find funny.

However, my attitude towards the movie changed about half way through. That's when everything seemed to get really good. Sure, there were missteps, but it was at least better than the first half. The ending was also well done.

Pros
    -Relationship between Groot and Rocket
    -Good ending
    -the music worked more than it didn't

Cons
    -Very bloated first half
    -Weak villains, but that seems standard now
    -tried too hard to connect with nostalgia.

17. burnitup Still the Best 1973

I'm sure they'll bring Nova/Richard Rider in another movie.
    What nostalgia?

18. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

All I hear from people is that "it's like the first time I watched Star Wars/Star Trek", and I can see where people get that. It plays on those feelings an audience would have for it. I really don't like when movies nostalgia bait an audience though. It makes it feel disingenuine and lazy.

19. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Ah. Okay that makes sense. But I don't think that's nostalgia. :\

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  20. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I'm not so sure what to call it either, myself. I mean, it definitely hits those points that make people feel nostalgic.