Film Guardians of the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Ienzo, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I wasn't overly fussed about this film but it's just sort of popped into my eyeline and after seeing this trailer I am actually really excited to see it. I was expecting it to be more serious as well but the trailer seems to have quite a comic edge, I wonder if the whole film will be like that, either way I am rather pumped to see it. I haven't read or seen any Guardians of the Galaxy before so I don't know the characters, some of you will probably know more about that side of things than me.

Also, Karen Gillan!

2. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I've never even heard of the Guardians of the Galaxy before either, but still, I too am excited for this movie (even more so because Thanos is apparently supposed to be in this movie, and I've been waiting for an appearance by him ever since watching the post-credits scene from The Avengers)

3. Krowley Moderator

Oh that trailer reveals so little to me, which means there is a high probability that I will enjoy it. Guardians of the galaxy is one of Marvel's lesser known hero teams. Like the avengers, it's a rag tag, disfunctional group of heroes... in space. It's exciting because this team has only been recently featured in TV shows like Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Ultimate Spider-man, along with talks of having their own show.

Since they're obviously using the modernized comic renditions, I look forward to seeing if they have all their arsenal in tact. I'm really looking forward to Vin diesel as Groot. In fact, I like Vin in any role where he mostly grunts and speaks in few words (Iron Giant is I think, one of his best performances)

Gamora is the daughter of Thanos, so I'm looking forward to some of that backstory as well.

For some catch up through the comics, here is a pretty short, explanatory video on their origins;

4. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Pretty sure that Thanos is going to have a similar role as he did in Avengers as a behind-the-scenes bad guy that the main bad guy works for (in this case, Ronan the Accuser and Nebula).
    *adopted daughter. And if I remember correctly, Nebula (blue-skinned, head-shaved Karen Gillian) is his granddaughter.

I'm pretty excited for this. I've been keeping up with it since it was first announced, specifically because it was a Marvel movie about characters that I knew next to nothing about. In fact, when first announced, I didn't think I had ever heard of them, but when doing some backtracking, I saw Star Lord and Drax a couple of times when Richard Rider (favorite Nova<3) was still alive and shortly after his demise. Besides that, I had never heard of the rest of the team until the movie. Gamora and Rocket made an appearance in the new Nova's series and I loved Rocket in that. Also, recently, this iteration of the Guardians appeared in All New X-Men so I guess I'll get to see the whole team in action next month. Though, I learned today that the current iteration of the team is fairly brand new (six years old, I think? Very fresh for comics) so it's a bit surprising that they're getting a movie so soon (I may be wrong, but I think the first issue of the new team came out the same year as the first Iron Man movie). I can't wait to see the Nova Corps in here (lol John C. Reilly's a Nova? did not see that coming), though I'm a little disappointed in their live-action uniform. I tried to keep away from looking too far into them (which is very difficult for me) aside from their recent appearances in the comics I currently read (Nova, All New X-Men, and a couple of Avenger-related titles) in order to go into this movie as ignorant as possible.

Minor possible Spoilers about the movie and possibly future Avengers movies ahead:
    Though aside from Thanos' obvious connection, the movie isn't supposed to tie into the Avengers' side of the MCU HOWEVER Iron Man joined the team in comics and his Deep Space Armor was released as an action figure for Iron Man 3...so there's a theory that he'll make some sort of appearance tying the two together, not to mention that supposedly the original extra credits scene for IM3 was supposed to be Tony in space or something similar. On top of that, they want to do a Planet Hulk movie for Mark Ruffalo's Hulk and the Guardians may be a way to do that (otherwise, I don't see how they can do a Planet Hulk movie). Thanos wants the Infinity Gauntlet and the five gems that power them (we saw the Gauntlet briefly in Thor 2 as well as one of the gems, another being the Tesseract) so the Avengers and the Guardians are at least a little bit connected. Ah, Pratt does such a good job as Quill.

Really disappointed that we didn't get to hear Bradley Cooper as Rocket (the one voice I've been waiting to hear!) or Vin Diesel as Groot (though since Groot is apparently restricted to "I AM GROOT," I can hear it in my head), but hell, it's only the first trailer.

5. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Even so, I still hope he'll make at least a small appearance (in which he speaks).

and I thought you said you were keeping up with this movie ;)
    But yeah, John C. Reilly in a Marvel movie (especially this one) kinda does feel weird, but eh, I don't really care, cause I do like the guy

6. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I hope so, too. I hope that Marvel plans to do crossovers with their material. Avengers, in a way, was a crossover between the Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and Hulk movies. I hope that Guardians will spawn its own set of movies (COME ON, NOVA. Not sure about the others, though. I don't think the characters are strong enough to hold their own individual movies just yet) but at least one sequel that furthers Thanos' plans and finally a crossover between Avengers and Guardians versus Thanos. The MCU universe is already freaking huge with the Avengers movies, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the 5 upcoming Defenders Netflix mini-series, and now -what is most likely going to be- a set of Guardians of the Galaxy movies.

Oh, I knew he was in it and who he was playing (though I don't much about Dey. Simply that he's the Abin Sur to DC's Hal Jordan), but the fact that Reilly was given such a role in this type of movie was surprising to me and actually seeing it...is unsettling (not in a bad way necessarily).

For those who want to hear Bradley Cooper as Rocket, here's the first released audio clip for the Raccoon.

I know some people are disappointed about the lack of an accent, but I'm disappointed in how deep it is. I expected it to be a higher pitch, but I'm sure it'll grow on me.

The following page also has a segment about the rest of the cast (including some nice action footage), but no more spoken lines (aside from Quill's).
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...accoon-guardians-of-the-galaxy-movie/5645297/

7. Jin うごかないで

I've heard alot about this movie from my friends who are really excited for it. most likely i'll be going to watch it with them though my opinions are pretty mixed from the trailer. non the less it does look like it has some potential just really I would want a dead pool movie more than anything when it comes to super hero movies now. :C

8. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

I've never been able to read a full story from the guardians of the galaxy.. I've tried many times when they were in the middle of a saga, but it is useless I give up reading them in the second page... so I don't expect anything from this movie, so It will probably be better than what I think.

9. 61 No. B

Okay so I've been following every inkling of news we've gotten on this movie since I found out about it a little over a year ago and...

First of all, I think tonally what this movie is doing is spot on. Space marvel is a very different thing from street marvel in the comics, so to emphasize that on film is both genius and necessary. It looks like a really fun movie and I'm still excited for it after all this time, but...

I have major problems with the casting. I want to reserve as much judgement as possible until I see the movie, but having read the current running Guardians series and some of the one that came before, it's impossible for me to not look at the casting and have some already formed opinions.

• Immediately, Rocket. Where's the accent? I think the voice works, I think in the end it will sound good, but the accent always seemed like such a defining part of his personality to me that it seems weird to not have it.
    • Groot. This is the only one I don't have any problems with. He says one line, "I am Groot", so there's really no possible way to mess that up. And I think he looks the best out of all of them.
    • Drax. Eeeeeeh the wrestler guy looks the part, but what are his acting chops? Granted, Drax is almost as reserved as Groot, but to me that just seems... weird.
    • Star-Lord. I haven't seen any of Chris Pratt's films so I don't know what he's like, but I'm afraid he'll take the role too jokey and we won't get any of that nuanced characterization seen in the relationship between Quill and his father.
    • Gamora. This is the big one. The one I have the biggest problems with. Gamora is one of my favorite characters, like I just really like that character for some reason. She's almost the sole reason that I kept with the current Guardians series despite it derailing after issue #7, so this is the one I have the most stake in. Zoe is not Gamora. I don't know why, but I'm immediately repelled by the casting for that character. I don't like the way the character looks here at all, wish she had that white spacesuit type thing. Gamora is supposed to be like the ultimate badass and Zoe just doesn't have that. I will be really impressed if she can change my opinion by the end of the movie, but as I stand now I do not like this casting choice.
    Also what the hell is John C. Reilly doing there? That's so weird. Also really do not like the way the Novas look. Nova's are supposed to be these sleek black and gold cool guys, not this bulky blue and gray nonsense.

So yeah. I'm still excited. I still think it will be good. But it will take some time to warm up to the casting for me.

Also, will we get an Angela cameo? I highly doubt it but I'm really pulling for her to be on screen with Gamora at some point in the future. I love the dynamic those two have in the comics.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  10. 61 No. B

trailer 2 is out.
    http://www.comicvine.com/articles/guardians-of-the-galaxy-trailer-2/1100-148789/

Really nothing new to say except the things I've been saying for a while.
    Still not loving the accent-less Rocket.
    Zoe as Gamora still feels all kinds of wrong. that purple hair. ew.
    Groot still looks amazing and now we know he sounds amazing as well.
    Still "eeeh" on Peter.
    And still have no opinion of Drax.
    Still really apprehensive about Novas being here and how that will play out.

The one thing new I saw worth commenting on is Knowhere. I don't know if it was in the first trailer or if we already knew but I saw the head.
    And I have not read volume 2 of Guardians, only 3 so I don't know if this is in 2, but this whole "outlaws" thing seems.. off. I never got the impression (or knew if it is the case) that they were outlaws (aside from the Spartax being after Peter and Gamora having a bounty on her head). I saw them as people who came together because they had nowhere else to go. misfits of sorts. Not wanted criminals. Not that doing something different is bad, I just wasn't expecting it.

11. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I'm starting to enjoy Cooper's voice as Rocket but it still doesn't fit the personality. I don't mind the lack of an accent, but whenever I read Rocket, I "hear" a higher-pitched voice. Groot's is pretty damn good, though. I think they visually hit Gamora on the head (though I agree about the hair), but she seems short. Quill on the other hand seems too buff. Drax is the only casting I don't like. He has the muscles, but he doesn't really seem...imposing at all aside from that. I don't know if it's Bautista's face or so far lack of lines, but he's not really selling the Destroyer part of it to me. That's my casting rant.

I agree about the outlaws thing that skull joke pointed out. I'm hoping that instead of a "hey, let's be heroes and stop the bad guys!" kind of thing, that they simply end up accidentally foiling the bad guys' plans and simply run with it, after some inspiration from Star-Lord it seems. That way, they're still misfits, but they're not going to let some super cosmic ****** out****** them and destroy the universe in the process.

12. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

*ssb4 character intro screen* COMIC VIRGIN ENTERS THE FRAY!

I'm super stoked for Guardians. While it doesn't look like it's gonna connect to the rest of the MCU just yet (the only movie we know it affects so far is Avengers 3), it looks like it's gonna be loads of fun! Heaven knows we need a breather after The Winter Soldier. But yeah, space opera about about a bunch of jerk-y misfits that fall into saving the universe? HECK YES I'M IN.

Also, THANOS IS ACTUALLY GONNA BE IN THIS GET HYPE

13. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Don't get too excited for Thanos. He might get more screen time than he did in Avengers, but he's still pulling strings behind the scenes. My guess is that they're leading up to the Avengers meeting the Guardians in some form (either a legitimate team-up or a member or two from each talking about Thanos) with Thanos being the big bad for Avengers 3.

I'm still not a fan of the Nova's design. It's not...interstellar or sleek enough. It looks more an interstellar militia than police force.

14. 61 No. B

I HATE IT
    I'm trying to hold my dislike for it in and have a "wait and see" attitude, but it looks so bad.
    Maybe if I wasn't so familiar with their comic look I wouldn't think this, but man does it look considerably not-cool by comparison.
    and I'm also really wondering how their powers will translate. I don't see how they could keep entirely true to the comics with this design, which is disappointing because that's something the MCU has been doing marvelously since its beginning.

and wow. did not know Thanos would be in this but I can't say I'm surprised. at all. It's entirely logical that this would be the next place we would see him.

15. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

In the scene with John Reilly claiming it's not a good idea, the Nova's behind him have blasters on their hand. I'm assuming the Novaforce isn't a thing here and they're tech-based.

16. 61 No. B

that's so... dumb. like, why?
    this universe has never been one to shy away from doing comic booky things so why now and why NOVA of all things.
    I mean it's not like Nova is RUINED FOREVER or anything, I'm just a little sad that now they're doing this whole "realistic" thing as well.

17. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

18. Willis Haughey Merlin's Housekeeper

Have no idea what's going on here. I've never read the comics, or paid attention to any of the Marvel movies until recently. I just saw the trailer tonight when I went to the theater to watch Maleficent with the girlfriend. I had no idea what was going on, or even who most of the characters were. So for me, I think this movie will be enjoyable, even if it sucks. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss. After the short trailer I will definitely be watching this movie, but most likely I will be waiting for Redbox/Netflix.

19. 61 No. B

This is the mindset the majority of movie-goers are going to have.
    Guardians have never been A-list and have never had a cartoon, so unless you're into comics you won't know who they are.
    I'm curious to see how the public will react because the characters and setting are very far from what people have come to expect from MCU (which to a lot of people is Marvel), and this will undoubtedly be the introduction to these characters for a large number of people.

20. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Hey, hey, guys. Guess what: