Good Actions: A Solution? Or Something to Abuse?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Fellangel, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Fellangel Bichael May

(Before I start, I would like to mention that the documentary I'm talking about is called The Dropbox. I think it's a fantastic piece that tells not only about the issues of babies left on the streets, but of human values as well. Though I would warn if you are interested in watching, it encircles the theme of Christianity in it. So yea if you hate that kind of theme on any sort of scale, please avoid.)

Not too long ago, I watched a documentary about this one man in South Korea that created a system that let him take in rejected babies. In that country, many mothers abandon their babies whether it's because of unforseen pregnancy, disformations/mental issues, lack of money, or something else. In any case, this man made the news on how he was alert every day and night to take in the abandoned babies whenever they arrived. His influence even made other nations adopt his system to also take in rejected babies.

Of course this is something everyone can agree on. Saving children off the streets from the many dangers is something not to be scoffed at. It takes effort and willpower to take in and watch over a child that was abandoned. It's an action that deserves praise and thanks. However, as upholding as this action is, many also see this as a system people can abuse. Ignorant couples can simply drop off their babies without a second thought or glance, knowing they don't have to hold that guilt of letting their child die on the streets. Instead, they know that it'll be in good hands and they don't have to worry about it. This caused many debates whether this system actually helps the community of reducing the number of abandoned children or just simply lowering the value on children and the responsibilities the parents carry for them.

Let's not even go to a drastic action such as that. How about back home? Simply giving the homeless money is also an action of good faith, but also something that can be taken advantage of. On the news, there have been cases of people giving money to the "homeless" people on the streets when in fact, they're just people looking for easy cash and seen driving in a car some hours later with the victims angry at the fact they been cheated on.

Certainly, a solution wouldn't be to halt all actions and let those that are unfortunate to suffer. It's just what society grows naturally. There's always gonna be people that'll look around for ways to find loopholes or try to use others to relieve some of their issues or problems. I'm not gonna lie. It's normally a 50/50 for me whenever I see a homeless man on the corner of streets. Either I hands them some cash to help them out, or close up my windows, thinking to myself how they'll just spend it on drugs or alcohol. It just brings those in need of help down even further on the hierarchy scale.

How should we feel when we pass by someone that needs help? Regret? Relief? Or maybe simply nothing? I'm interested in knowing what you guys think of this topic, where good things may sound good on paper, but in practice, it also comes with its share of problems.

2. Patman Bof

I doubt knowing there are shelters around is much of a factor when it comes to abandoning your kid. This isn' t the kind of action one takes lightly, you have to be pretty desperate to resort to that. Same goes for abortion, just because it is now an easy thing to do doesn' t mean people do it lightly. I mean sure, there might be a few people stone hearted enough to think nothing of it, but I' d wager it would take a pretty heavy tall on most women.

Sometimes it' s pretty useless to teach a man how to fish because the truth is he won' t be able to afford a fishing stick anytime soon. Sometimes giving a fish is the best course of action. Yes, it will teach some people to sucker you out, but they' re in the minority. Says the data mind you, not just me, though I' m afraid I don' t have any specifics at hand right now (and frankly feel too lazy to dig them up).

Doesn' t mean you can' t think of security measures to counter the loopholes. For instance in my country in order to access social security you have to prove that you are indeed looking for a job. It' s not perfect mind you, people can still cheat the system out, but they keep thinking of new ways to try and improve it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015