god damn it?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Master of the Onyx Flame, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tootsie coquí

Since Im christian/pentecost,its wrong to use God's name in vain.
    I do say "Oh my god",because its not wrong to say it but the word god dammit(SP),is wrong according to the bible.

2. Peyton Goddess Of Love ♥

I don't really care since I am an athiest.

3. Mirai King's Apprentice

I know this isn't the place, but if God exists and is all-loving, you have nothing to worry if you don't believe in him. What kind of person would burn someone for a different viewpoint? I have an idea who! His name was Adolf something...

On topic, it depends on what you believe. If you believe that using God's name in vulgar phrases is a sin, it's a sin to you.

However, what I don't get is why Christians obey SOME things in the Bible, and don't even know about other things. Almost everyone works on Saturday, for example.

4. Gritz Traverse Town Homebody

I'm a christian. But I do not believe that saying "Jesus Christ" or "Oh my God" or "Oh God" is taking his name in vain. I believe that if you do something evil or against what God commands and then say you are doing it in God's name, then THAT is taking God's name in vain.

What would you rather say if you were about to be hit by a speeding bus at the last second? "Oh ****" or "Oh my God"? You NEVER wanna say a cuss word when you are about to die.

And Mirai, Even though we are christians, we are still fallen human beings who can backslide and sin. As for only using certain passages, alot of fallen humans only use scripture that does not condemn the sins that they commits. There were times where I would not read my bible because I knew that a scripture was gonna tell me to stop doing what I was doing that was sinful and fun.

5. Master of the Onyx Flame Hollow Bastion Committee

so if i dont belive in god i can cuss up a storm and live in "sin" and not be punished for it?
    -example-

6. Repliku Chaser

Many Christians believe and all are pretty well taught that everyone is a sinner even before they crap their pants and are just born into the world because of Eve tempting Adam with an apple and all that stuff. However, how they deal with this is one of the great dividers of the Christian faith into smaller religions. Many though do think that as long as you give your life to Jesus before you die, you are going to heaven, despite all the sins you've ever committed prior. Hence why we have a ton of Christians that go to prisons to recruit. I have always found this disturbing and well, one of the turn-offs of the religion and main reason I dropped it. If I didn't do the crime, I didn't. I'm not whipping myself over someone else eating an apple that made me smarter and allowed to be sentient because someone who is omnipotent and omniscient didn't know that was going to happen and didn't stop Eve who was ignorant.

I do find it funny to imagine that some Christian was a good person all his/her life and then is going to die...and yells 'OH (some profanity inserted here) (our debated phrase here to not offend anyone) and ends up damning themselves to Hell because of saying the god's name in vain. It's not funny deep down, but hey, it's chuckle worthy from a distance in a cartoonish way.

7. Xx Axel xX Traverse Town Homebody

I'm an atheist through and through so I say whatever the hell I want.

Thruthfully, the bible may say it's a sin, but the bible also says killing's a sin. How many Christan's have killed people and were able to go back to a preist and say, "i'm sorry", and make everything better? The bible also says stealings a sin. The bible is the most shoplifted book in the world! The bible contradicts it's self. If you've ever read it and your smart enough to make sense of it you'll find it out that it's a big piece of crap that's been breaking it's own rules since the begining of time.

Anyway, back on topic, do I think saying "God damn it" is a sin? Well, trying to look through the eyes of a christian, if your saying "God damn it" and directing it to a person, maybe it's a sin. If you said it and you've dropped a brick on your foot, nah, it's not a sin, it's a reaction.

8. Master of the Onyx Flame Hollow Bastion Committee

i lke you answer best its the one i can relate to the most

9. Soku Hollow Bastion Committee

I don't know why I am not bothered by using his name.
    I'm with Axel, God knows I love him, and apparently he has no problem with me saying.

"Oh My God."
    or
    "God dangit!"

I don't know why people get so offensive.

10. Roxas is Hot I'd lick his Sea Salt stick anytime. ♥

I think it depends. I say 'goddamn it' all the time.

Agreed with Silver_Bullet

11. Reoy Hollow Bastion Committee

yeah i'm with you I do the same but when i say it i don't really mean i swear for god to be damn it's just a phrase half of everybody uses.but i have a friend and she doesn't like to hear it so she thought i offended god....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.