Fighting, style or strength?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by TAFKAA8, Jul 11, 2007.

?

What weapon is best?

1. Lance, a long stabbing weapon to kill enemies at a moderate distance.

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Standard Sword, versatile and easy to learn.

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Projectiles(If so name it), no danger if your enemies die far away.

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. Specialized Swords(if so name it), style and presicion wielding above all.

20 vote(s)
    32.8%
  5. Halberd, powerful stabbing, hacking, and bludgeoning, all at a nice range.

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  6. Clubs, cutting may not work but crushing will.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Knives, kill close up without being seen Also makes for a nice projectile.

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  8. Dao or Voulge, a blade on a stick. Cuts like a sword at a safe range.

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. Other(If so name it.)

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  10. Who cares about a bunch of antiques?

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAFKAA8 Banned

As far back as humans can tell we've been fighting. Egypt an ancient martial arts manual was discovered. Europe, knights were trained to wield calvary weapons. Others in fencing and ground based arms. China, bodyguards learned kung fu. Japan, the samurai learned the katana and wakizashi, iaido to kendo. The Middle East, scimitar and other blades. India, chakram and various other swords and projectiles. No matter where you go you'll find a heavy past culture of battle. But, what wins a battle? Is it the fine style of fencing? Or the brute force of armored infantry? Is it range found in shuriken, chakram, and the bow and arrow? Is it a blade or a club? A lance or a voulge? Or is it your own bare hands? What do you think is most valuable in a fight?

2. Spike H E R O

The key to any form of succesful military movement,is having a tactical mind.You need deceptive strategies and plans you can't see coming from a mile off.It's all about the strategy.

3. Meh Gummi Ship Junkie

That's true. Without strategy a big army might as well walk into a fight blindfolded. The only way I think you can improvise is a small battle of two parties that weren't supposed to run into each other.

4. TAFKAA8 Banned

I'm asking for opinions on weaponry and style. Tactics are a factor in large scale battles not so much in a common brawl.

5. Meh Gummi Ship Junkie

For me I would go for some ranged weapons and lightweight melee weapons. But that's just what I think about weapons. But then again, it is about opinions...and that's mine.

6. Varnor Twilight Town Denizen

I prefer Double balded Swords

7. TAFKAA8 Banned

Explain. Two swords or a sword with two blades. If the latter, a kadaj type or a darth maul type?

8. Varnor Twilight Town Denizen

Darth maul type

9. Spike H E R O

Oh.Well,in a fight ,hand-to-hand combat is very useful.If you drop you're weapon,then you can still fight.But if you can't swing a punch properly and your sword or whatever you're using breaks,you're done for.But if i had to say a weapon,brass knuckles.

10. Laplace TSUKI NO SHIHAI

A scythe, a weapon made to kill!!!

11. TAFKAA8 Banned

A scythe was originally a farming tool like the sai and machette. Only in Poland did it actually become a weapon. In Japan a sickle or kama was used though. It was associated with death due to the reaping of souls like the reaping of crops that came with the grim reaper.

12. Jube Formerly Chuck's

Knives.

Quick kill. Also good for close combat its swift.

13. Enigmatic Boy Twilight Town Denizen

First of all, nice thread. I love old weapons.

I would choose the Longsword or the Katana as my weapon as even though they are common, they are they are both excellent weapons. The Scottish claymore is also a good weapon though.

I believe that you don't have to have strength to win in a battle. While it is a good advantage, your own strength can easily be thrown against you. What matters more is the style of how you fight.

14. darkelven123 Traverse Town Homebody

hmm...i must say raipers are the best of weapons

15. TAFKAA8 Banned

In case anyone was wondering. I'm decent with chinese sabers single and dual. I'm okay with a chinese spear and japanese oar. The katana is my weakest weapon. I couldn't actually fight to well with anything but a single chinese saber though. Two swords just kind get in the way and make it harder t fight. In essence it's to look good. I often hit myself with nunchaku, nine sectioned steel whip, three sectional staff, and any loose weapons. Sais get caught on my sleeves and I'm too afraid to touch hook swords. So there's my weapons experience. I believe it's a combo of both. I mean you can't fight if you can't lift your weapon right. Also, physical endurance is key. But, in general skill helps but it;'s attitude that makes or breaks the deal.

16. Kiryu Setsuna F. Seiei

I don't believe it is the style you fight in...that is crap. It is all based on the level of the person themselves.

Ex:If a seasoned martial artist gets into a fight with a novice fighter who do you think is going to win. It was based on style but who has more experiance and who can read their opponet better.

But back on point. I like to know a variety of weapons styles to know so that I can adapt to any situation and not be catch off guard.

17. Enigmatic Boy Twilight Town Denizen

cool, you have been exposed to weapons fighting. I wish that would happen to me. THe only weapons I have been exposed to are the bokken(wooden training sword that resembles a katana) the kali sticks(i think that's how you spell them-wooden sticks) nunchaku and the bo-staff(huge wooden pole).

To stay on topic, I think martial arts are also useful in case there are no weapons available.

18. TAFKAA8 Banned

Yeah. I see you're point. But, it only makes a difference if you're experienced in real fighting. Sparring and playing tag won't help if you get into a real fight. I have experience up to my eyeballs but it's not real fighting. Like I said it's whether you resign yourself to beat down your opponent or let them crush you. My dad says if I let go and didn't hold back I could fight better. I just have issues with hurting others.

Edit:
    Yeah. It's mostly self taught. I only spar with my older cousin and we don't aim to injure at all.

19. ...::/final_falling\::... King's Apprentice

probrably a regular sword, its easy to carry, and I've been using swords since I was two, Im good to go XD

20. Kiryu Setsuna F. Seiei

But when it boils down to it in a real fight you forget about restraint. Yes you have the voices in you head to tell you not to. But you instincts want you to fight to survive. We I was in street fights it didn't matter if I was going to hurt my opponet. Thats why I don't like the idea that you have to take the respect full aspect of fight to real life. Cause your opponets are not going to follow the same rules and guid lines that are drilled into your head over years of lectures and theories that can't be put to the test in a real fight.

But for the sake of argument I do feel bad after a fight but up until then it is either me or them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.