Fiction Writing Practice - Prompt of the Week!

Discussion in 'Workshops & Recreation' started by . : tale_wind, May 23, 2014.

1. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Not a competition or a race—this thread is for friendly practice to get your creative juices flowing, and maybe even inspire some story ideas!

Every Sunday, a new prompt will be added to the OP. This prompt will be a picture, a phrase or sentence, a word, a song, anything—and your goal will be to write a short original fiction piece based on the prompt, and post it here! The rules for your responses are as follows:

• Keep it PG-13 tops, and adhere to the normal forum rules.
    • If you post a response to the prompt, you MUST post constructive criticism for another user's response. Make sure you put actual thought into it; rather than just saying "I really liked it! Good job!", tell the user what you liked, what worked really well or didn't, what you didn't understand, etc. (Example: "Your dialogue really shone between these two characters [cite example], but your context for the scene is pretty vague; what's happening between the characters to prompt this?")
    • Your response can be as long or short as you deem necessary...but keep in mind that the goal here is for a short fiction piece.
    • Try to avoid writing fanfiction for your responses; the goal of this thread is to help you churn some original ideas out.
    • HAVE FUN~ ♥
    "I'm with you 'til the end of the line."
    [​IMG]
    "Thanks a lot, Dad."
    "Do you believe in magic?"

"Riddle me this..."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "What is love?"
    "Look at those fireworks!"
    "Want some discount chocolates?"
    "Welcome back."
    [​IMG]
    The clock is ticking.
    "What arcane magick hath wrought this?"
    "Let me be brave."

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  2. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Hmm... Yeah, I could go for that. Especially the critique stipulation. It ensures that somebody learns something each time. So does it work the other way? Could people just post a critique, or would a story then be mandatory?

3. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I'd say a critique is required if you post a story, but a story is not required for you to post just a critique.

4. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

*bump*

Can I get more thoughts on this?

@Cherry Berry, @What?, @Nights, @Cat~, @Plums, @Boy Wonder, you all liked/commented on the suggestion thread for this section's creation in the first place, so LET'S ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING WITH IT

5. Plums Wakanda Forever

I think this sounds like a good idea! It's very reminiscent of Signature of the Week, which with the mandatory critique for participants and lack of a length limit, should work well in building and keeping a consistent get together of writers on the site.

6. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I personally like the idea though at the moment I'm a bit short on time. I've started working at a factory again (gawd why?) and I'm on second shift. Between twelve hour shifts and managing to get meals in when I can I no longer have the time to log on whenever I feel like it. If it was a set time (Sunday preferred) then I could work it into my schedule. I can't guarantee I'd catch every weeks prompt but there'd be a better possibility of me being active (somewhat).

This idea would be something for anyone to participate in though; not like it'd be for a select group of writers. I think it should be given a go, a trial of sorts, to see what happens. If/when you or someone else decides to get the wheels rolling, just tag me in the post with the date/time/etc.

+1 From me ^^

-Nights

7. ShibuyaGato Transformation

This more or less.

It's a great idea and it could work really well if people participate. One of the reasons SotW seemed to die down was a lack of entrants, but so long as people are willing to write regularly, it shouldn't be a problem.

8. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

...I haven't received as much response as I'd have liked for this (thank you to everyone who did respond, though~), but I'm gonna go ahead and start this thing up anyway, hoping that more people come onboard later. Keep your eyes on this space! I'm gonna try to have the first prompt up tomorrow!~

9. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Happy Sunday, everyone! Your first prompt has arrived!

i'm so sorry mcu fans

Remember, your goal is to write a short original fiction piece based on this prompt, within this week!

All future prompts will also be found in the newly-revamped OP, in sequential order of dates; they'll all be there even if you don't participate one week and still want to use that prompt for yourself!

Ready...set... Write!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  10. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

It's Sunday again, so here's your new prompt!

10267780_10202433510773256_6958542047014948779_n.jpg

Remember, your goal is to write a short original fiction piece based on this prompt, within this week!

This prompt has also been added to the OP~

11. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Happy Fathers' Day! Here's your new prompt for the week:

"Thanks a lot, Dad."

This prompt has also been added to the OP~

12. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

OH MY FRIENDS MY FRIENDS FORGIVE ME
    THAT I'VE FORGOTTEN TWO WEEKS OF PROMPTS
    EMPTY THREADS AT EMPTY FORUMS
    NOW MY FRIENDS WILL WRITE NO MORE
    </3

I WILL UPDATE WITH THREE NEW PROMPTS THIS SUNDAY I PROMISE ;__;

13. jackdaniel0 Twilight Town Denizen

LOL FIRST I DONT HAVE TO WRITE CRITIQUES
    Prompt 1
    In a medieval world, there were those born with magical abilities. Those beings, known as wizards and witches, were condemned for their skills, and when discovered, were to be instantly beheaded. Not many, however, knew of a secret society that aimed to unite both races. Three brothers were a part of this civilization, but one had made a slip-up, and he was immediately sent on his way to his execution. Even for people with magical abilities, humanity had tools that could be used against them. Their magic couldn't work on those with armor made to repel it, and humans had weapons that could be used to incapacitate them.
    "You're sure that you' want to do this, Jaden?"
    Jaden, one of the brothers, took it upon himself to take back his sibling, before his death could be handed out.
    "I've had enough, Devros."
    During the years, Jaden had seen many executions of fellow companions. It all left holes in his heart, to see that humanity couldn't accept others for differences that they couldn't even control. Some even wanted to be a part of humanity, and hoped for their powers to fade. Nonetheless, there would always be a trigger to set it off, sending them on their way to the depths of the Underworld. It wasn't until this moment that he'd realized how much turmoil he was really in.
    "I've had it! I can't take it anymore!" He screamed, tears of anger and hate spilling from his eyes. "Enough of this unity plan! Enough with a peaceful offering! Enough of all of this BULLSHIT!" Slamming his fist in to a wall, he blocked out the distant echos of chants that called for their brothers execution. Time was running out, and if he didn't stop it, then there would be another death that he could've prevented.
    "We've tried so many times, to hope for a peaceful outcome. But all we've got was a bunch of dirt and spit in our face! Nothing's going to change! I've had enough with trying to be peaceful. If we don't stop this now, then they'll wipe us all out!" He yelled at Devros, who stayed calm under the hate and anger radiating off of Jaden. "I've got to do something. No more hiding! I'll push them all down if I have to. It's not like they can stand up to us...We were always different from the others. We were born apart from the wizards and witches for a reason! I found that reason, and now, I'm using my power to force them all down to the ground!"
    He was finished with his speech, and now, he let the empty air wash over him as his temper slowed to a stop.
    "...You don't have to come with me. This might end badly, but..." Looking down to the ground, unable to look at his brother in the eye, he sighed. His tears had all fallen, and now, he just had one more thing to do.

"Jaden."
    It took a moment, but he finally gained the strength to look up at Devros. There was no pain or disdain on his face. Instead, there was burning determination that surprised him. Devros grabbed on to Jaden's shoulders, and he placed his forehead against his.
    A sudden ending, but hey, I tried my best. On to the others!
    Prompt 2

"Polaris."
    The word echoed out against the empty, frozen wasteland. It was a journey that had riddled him with pain, betrayal, disdain, and contempt. But it was a journey that he'd known for a fact that he'd reached the end of. All of the things that were in his way didn't matter anymore, because now, the frozen wasteland that was said to have hold nothing was finally in his grasp. They all told him he'd fail, he'd die again and again, but it didn't matter. He knew what laid beyond this tundra of beauty that only he and a select others could see.
    "I've finally found you."
    Taking his first few steps off of the earth on to the clouds that covered the ground, Korus realized that the clouds itself were the ground. Nothing beneath but a fluffy, soft, feeling to support him. He jumped up and down to test the surface, and was ecstatic. "This is..." Looking back up at the horizon with a rising sun, he wasted no time in finishing off the final steps that would finally deliver him to the other side.
    As he walked, he felt the wind rush towards him, as if it were playfully pushing him backward. It barely did anything, but Korus felt joyful at the feeling. It felt almost as if he were flying.
    This place was said to have been an infinite space. It looked like it, but Korus had lost all feeling of time as he pushed on, through the mountains and light, his sight never leaving the light of the growing sun. He'd make it, no matter what. There was nothing to stop him from finally seeing the ones he'd lost. They were the ones that kept him going, through all the pain he'd seen. No matter what happened, they'd be there for him.
    The last of the light of the still sun washed over him, engulfing him and everything else in its white, blinding light.
    And now, he'd be there for them.
    "I'm home."

Wow, these are all just riddled with feels, aren't they?
    I've literally got no ideas for prompt 3, so I won't be writing anything for it.

14. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Thanks for posting! I enjoyed reading your responses...and it reminded me that I forgot to put the prompts up yesterday. AUGHHHHHHH

Here are your prompts that I've missed!

"Do you believe in magic?"

"Riddle me this..."

And here's this week's:

And since I'm not sure that I'll be able to get to a computer next Sunday, here's next week's prompt as well!

[​IMG]

Remember, your goal is to write a short original fiction piece(s) based on the prompt(s)!

The prompts will be added to the OP posthaste.

15. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

...Well, I diddly darn messed up, didn't I?

Deepest apologies for not keeping up with this thread, even after returning from vacation! ;__; Rather than trying to post prompts for EVERY week of my absence from the thread, I'll just start again posting new prompts starting this next Sunday. Keep your eyes peeled and your imaginations ready!

16. Ghost King's Apprentice

I think I might actually do it this time. I was going to do it before but I got frustrated with my writing and quit :\ I'm totally ready now.

17. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I AM DOING A PROMPT NEXT WEEK. IT MAY NOT BE SUNDAY'S PROMPT, BUT IT WILL BE A PROMPT. AND I EXPECT TO BE PROMPTLY PERMABANNED IF I DO NOT HONOR MY WORD.

18. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

IT'S STILL SUNDAY YES GOOD

Here's your new prompt for the week:

[​IMG]

This new prompt has been added to the OP~

19. Ghost King's Apprentice

Have you ever thought of using songs as prompts before? (idk if it seems interesting) Anyway, I started writing today in english class. I have made progress!

20. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

It's still Sunday where I am! And that means it's time for your next prompt!