Famitsu Interview w/ Tetsuya Nomura

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Meilin Lee, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

KH3-Fami_07-18-17.jpg
    This week's issue of Famitsu is covering the KH3 news from D23, along with a lengthy interview with 'Kingdom Hearts' series director, Tetsuya Nomura. While a fully translated interview is not yet available, some interesting points have been detailed:
    • (In response to the question of around when in 2018 Kingdom Hearts III will be released) “Please wait for the proper followup report. (Smiles.)”
    • Nomura wanted a Toy Story world in Kingdom Hearts since around Kingdom Hearts II. For Kingdom Hearts III, there have been repeated negotiations as its inclusion was of absolute necessity.
    • The Toy Story world is set after Toy Story 2. It isn’t a parallel world. Rather, the events of Kingdom Hearts III are part of the Toy Story time axis. (In other words, it is canon.)
    • While it is not shown in the trailer, at the start Sora is mistaken for a character in the latest game to be released in this world.
    • The Toy Story staff were considerably surprised at the reproduction quality of the Toy Story characters in-game.
    • Nomura told the development team he wanted riding and fighting in a mech early in development. A different mechanism is being prepared for when you go to another floor in Galaxy Toys.
    • The Big Hero Six world is progressing well, but news on that is still down the line.
    • While the number of Disney worlds are less than the amount included in Kingdom Hearts II, the density of each world is greater, including gameplay. **
    • “Although there are parts [of Final Fantasy VII Remake] further along than Kingdom Hearts III, such as cutscenes, it is unlikely we’ll share information for a while as we switch from mainly external to mainly internal development.”
    ** For reference on how many Disney worlds there were in KH games that introduced new Disney worlds:
    • KH1: 9
    • KH2: 12
    • BBS: 7
    • DDD: 5
    Source: Gematsu

EDIT:

Translation of the first half of the interview is now available:
    Credit to Saken of KHInsider for the translations!

EDIT2:

Added the rest of the translated interview above.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
Tags: this article has not been tagged
Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Meilin Lee, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Truly Mad Moves
      Truly Mad Moves
      Fewer worlds than KH2? Awww, that's disappointing. Denser is nice, but... still. If it's really going to be as massive as they claim, so massive that all three titles on 2.8 were originally intended to be part of it and yet it's STILL the biggest game in the series, I kind of wanted that to mean bigger quantity. So... 4 Disney worlds down, less than 8 left to be revealed. Not enough... :'(

As an aside, I've been watching a lot of analyses and reactions to the trailer, and they all seem to be pleasantly surprised that the Toy Story world doesn't take place entirely in Andy's room. It's like... they know that every Toy Story movie involves leaving Andy's room, right?
    2. Day~Dream
      Day~Dream
      I figured that was what he meant. Fewer in quantity but higher in quality. ;D if I had to guess how many disney worlds are going to be included, I'd like to say 10, lowest being 8.
    3. Meilin Lee
      Meilin Lee
      Updated OP with translation of first half of the interview.
    4. Truly Mad Moves
      Truly Mad Moves
      The interview is awesome.

Ah, so Big Hero 6 was the last world they decided to feature, even though it was only the third revealed. That makes a lot of sense. I just realized that Big Hero 6 didn't even exist when the first KH3 trailer came out.
    5. Meilin Lee
      Meilin Lee
      Updated OP with the second half of the interview.
    6. Heart ❤
      Heart ❤
      Calling it right now. Demyx and Luxord and those guys whose original personas we don't know are coming back.
    7. Day~Dream
      Day~Dream
      By the way, this time you debuted the Toy Story world, but other than Disney worlds, will there be any new original worlds?

Nomura: In a previous trailer, there was a scene where Xehanort and Eraqus from their earlier years are together playing a game like chess. That world is an original world.

Wasn't that Land of Departure?
    8. Meilin Lee
      Meilin Lee
      I assumed that as well, but either it really is a new world never seen before, or there was probably some confusion between the interviewer and Nomura.
    9. Dravoo
      Dravoo
      I love that Nomura got his fan fiction canonized to a Disney movie's actual timeline. hahaha