Fail0verflow PS3 Tools, GeoHot METLDR Root Key, GT5 Decrypted!

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Kubo, Jan 4, 2011.

1. P Banned

Y halo thar Linux.

2. Always Dance Chaser

There was. It was called OtherOS, and Sony took it away. That's why people have to hack the PS3 in the first place.

3. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

After OtherOS was disabled, Geohotz claimed to have found a way to enable it again (with his custom firmware), and uploaded a video demonstrating it. He said he would release it but it was taking too long without news from him about it, and they started thinking it was a hoax. Geohotz later then anounced he would not release it to the public.
    If he really did find a way to re-enable OtherOS it would be better to release that than trying to hack the PS3 for the uses mentioned in above posts, contrasting what /////////// said.

4. Always Dance Chaser

He had reasons for not releasing it. We don't know what they are and there's no point bringing it up. If you ask me it's probably because Sony could have fixed it easily. This new hack, however, they can't do anything about

5. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

Well the reasons are that it never existed lol.

6. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

Yeah, Geohotz used it to hack into the PS3. It is part of the reason why it was taken away.

7. Majik Chaser

I think you all are forgetting that every dev in the world can agree OtherOS sucked beyond belief. Without access to the RSX (video card), you are extremely limited to your creativity. Even with OtherOS, they were trying to hack it to allow access to the RSX (not fail0verflow, but other teams). Homebrew is inevitable. No gaming console yet has been able to stop homebrew. Though Sony is now taking the right approach to stopping it with their recent "Hack our products and you'll be in court".

Geohot did, by making Backup Managers unable to load on his custom firmware. Sony sued him shortly because they were still pissed.

Unfortunatly, this will not be the case. Once the doors are blown off the hinges, it's not possible to find a true fix. Even if devs start implementing their own piracy protection in their games, it won't stop people from cheating. True, it won't be as common as it was before, since any 13 year old kid could cheat if he wanted to. But if you are advanced enough in reverse engineering, no security routine will stop a true hacker from wanting to cheat since reversing the code is now possible. But if devs want to keep the game clean, they need to do what Guerilla is planning to do: make patches common. To keep implementing new protection schemes.

8. Always Dance Chaser

Geohot only hacked it because of the extremely limited functionality. If it had better functionality there wouldn't even need to be hack

9. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Okay, now wait a minute. If you are running an alternate operating system, how can you 'hack' the PS3 any further than that? Messing with the hardware? Please explain your reasoning behind this, because it sounds like you are saying, "Someone used an alternate OS with the alternate OS option, therefore Sony had to take out the option to use an alternate OS."

10. Majik Chaser

You also have to look at it from their point of view though...
    If allowing access to RSX in Linux, piracy would have came -much- sooner without even using hacks or exploits. We could eventually dupe the PS3 into loading games from there. Not only that, but it would open up room for much more exploits to be discovered. Which would unlock the system to the point it is now. So it's understandable why they didn't allow that.

Honestly, they shouldn't have added OtherOS to begin with. Although homebrew is possible on it, it was a terrible idea to allow a operating system on the PS3 without hardware acceleration. Rendering too much on the SPU's via software isn't gonna cut it. Developing from that route is like giving us something with less power than a N64, when we already know it's capable of sooo much more. It's like epic fail.

Their really isn't a way to solve this debate. Each purpose could be used to help and/or hurt the other. Everyone wants full access to a computer they bought, but Sony as a buisness cannot allow that (for reasons I explained above). Homebrew is fun to make and use, but it also opens a door to piracy. It can also be used for things such as cheating online, but can also be used to allow great things such as FTP, Homebrew games, Emulators, etc. Just to note this: Once homebrew is allowed, it is -impossible- to implement a way to prevent piracy. Unless you count OtherOS, in which case, many devs will laugh at you.

Installing another operating system on the PS3 isn't any form of hacking. When another operating system is installed on the PS3, it is still bound to Sony's rules through a application called a "Hypervisor" or "VMM". This basically watches over -every- peice of code executed under that operating system. Sony has the RSX (video card) and 1 on the processors locked out from other operating systems. Therefore; they sucked. So people tried to undo the suck-age of them by allowing RSX support, but for my reasons as the top of this post, Sony decided to remove the feature in fear it would unlock the system to the point it is now.

11. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Yes, that would be annoying. I would most certainly circumvent that if I were going to bother with an alternate OS at all.

I buy hardware. I may additionally buy the software. If I do not wish to use the software, I should be able to seperate the two products at will, as I own them both. If I do not own the software, as copyright would have me say, then I at least own the hardware, and may seperate it from what I do not own, namely the software. Once it is mine, I may improve on it or use it as I wish. Ergo, I hold that a gun manufacturer should not be held responsible for how the guns that he sells are used, and also should not try to limit his product's potential in order to keep bad things from happening with them. You waste everyone's time by doing so. Whatever happened to "the customer is always right"? I do not like being treated as a threat by those that I buy my things from. It is not good business for them to do so.