Fail0verflow PS3 Tools, GeoHot METLDR Root Key, GT5 Decrypted!

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Kubo, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Always Dance Chaser

Exactly what P said. By that logic cough syrup companies are to blame for kids getting high off cough syrup. They just put the cough syrup out there; whether people use them as they intended to is not their fault at all

2. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

Linux was removed for several reasons, including security. If memory serves, Geohot used Linux in his attempts to hack into the ps3. I don't agree with Sony's move to remove Linux when people had paid for it but they were trying to protect their system.

He abused it by releasing the keys to the public, and that's what he's being sued over. If he had kept if for his own use there would be no problem but his ego's so big and he wanted to be the one to say, 'First!'. Now he's acting childish and asking for money cause he knows he's in trouble. He could at least ask in a professional manner.

And aye, i do think that. Because of the release gamers can no longer play games like MW2, which they paid for, without suffering the effects of hackers.

http://www.destructoid.com/psn-hack-lets-users-unban-themselves-ban-others-194361.phtml

Further problems for Sony and PS3 users. Sony really need to get their act together on security.

3. Always Dance Chaser

All right then, time to make cough syrup illegal and sue the cough syrup companies. After all they're directly responsible for getting children high, releasing cough syrup knowing full well that kids could get high off of it.

4. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

And what are those effects form the hackers?

5. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

But a kid getting high off cough syrup doesn't affect other people who use it responsibly. Hacking an online game does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWvD1nB2ar0&feature=player_embedded#at=29

Watch that.

Player's stats, challenges etc are erased if you find yourself in a hacked game.

6. Always Dance Chaser

It does if the cough syrup company has a butthurt overreaction and stops people from using cough syrup altogether.

7. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

No I mean, what kind of hacks are there? Or do you mean there's a hack that when you join the particular hacked game, the hack erases your stats and stuff?

8. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

I'm talking directly. These hackers are directly affecting players who want nothing more than to play a genuine game.

I don't know how it works, but they change all the rules and mechanics in the games. The loss of stats and such may be an effect of the hacks or it may have been created for that purpose.

9. Always Dance Chaser

I know that but you are seriously missing the point. They have nothing to do with geohot. geohot released something and people misused it. That is not his problem. If someone uses a PS3 as a blunt object to kill someone, it is not Sony's problem, it's a case of someone using something for a purpose other than its original intention. The creator has no responsibility

10. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

Well he's got, since the keys wouldn't have any other use than that.

11. P Banned

The hack gives the same freedoms as a computer. The computer game of MW2 doesn't seem to have these problems. How could Geohotz predict what was going to happen?

It's a matter of free will. He gave people the power to do what they want with their systems. Other people then developed homebrew code, among them the MW2 hacks.

I hate to use these analogies, but I'll keep it brief: It's similar to the tales of Genesis, where God gives Adam and Eve free will. Very few people think this was unethical, despite the number of wars and the like it caused. This is Geohotz' position (except unlike God, he isn't omniscient, so he can't know all the outcomes, so he's even less unethical).

EDIT: I prefer the analogy of the blunt-trauma PS3. Let's go with that.

12. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

You're missing the point.

It's nothing if he had hacked his own but he has basically helped in hacking other PS3s by mass distribution of a key he doesn't own the rights to.

13. P Banned

If it's okay for him to hack one PS3, why shouldn't others be allowed to do the same?

14. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

Because he knew he wouldn't use what he found for things like that, but in the thousands of PS3 users there are some who would. If he was the only who used a bad hack, he would get his arse banned and that's it. Now there are many who do this.

15. Always Dance Chaser

Lie lie lie lie lie lie lie lie lie lie A THOUSAND TIMES LIE.

This hack was intended to make homebrew possible on the ps3. NOTHING ELSE. Anything else that comes out of it has nothing to do with geohot at all. He did not intend for people to hack MW2. I'd also like to point out that Black Ops doesn't even have this problem because Treyarch actually protected that game.
    You're ignoring the point by pointing out the fact that geohot said something that was wrong. I know that Sony isn't suing him for hacking his own PS3, I'm not really sure why he said that, but it doesn't make what I said wrong. Also in regards to him not "having the rights" to the PS3 keys, NO ONE has the right to those keys. What geohot released was literally just a big number. Sony did not have this number copyrighted, it's just a number they hoped no one would guess or figure out- or rather- were overconfident enough to believe so.
    Once again, geohot DID NOT USE ONLINE HACKS, he's never even used PSN. He did not KNOW anyone would hack the games with this, in fact he explicitly stated he didn't think it would happen

16. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

Come on, do you really believe that every PS3 user is an angel? Most of them would just like to screw with everyone else for the lols, like it happens daily in the internet in various cases, like site hackings for example.

17. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

How can it be wrong when this is what he has up on his site? That is a direct quote. And any software/hardware/information used in Sony's PS3 that was created by them is owned by them.

If he believed that he's an idiot. I know he doesn't use his hacks for online play but anyone could guess what would happen if it was possible.

18. Always Dance Chaser

You seem to misunderstand. I am saying that the thing you quoted by geohot is wrong. As in, geohot was wrong when he said that. And that's actually not true at all. The exact same thing happened to HDDVDs a while ago (The key was leaked) and nothing happened because it's just a number. Geohot probably assumed that every game was protected like Black Ops. By the way the fact that people are crying about MW2 is kind of funny to me, considering this isn't possible on Black Ops and likely won't be on every game ever released from now on.

19. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

I have to ask the question, why hasn't he changed it? It's still on his website. Perhaps he doesn't think the same way you do about it.

Black-ops has had hacking but not to the same degree as MW2. As has Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and Gran Turismo 5.

20. Always Dance Chaser

Because he thinks he's right. And in a way, he kind of is. But not really.
    like i said, it's very unlikely that any game released from this point forward will be hackable whatsoever