KH-Vids Podcast Episode #93: The Strong Female Character

Discussion in 'Community News & Projects' started by Misty, May 27, 2015.

1. Misty gimme kiss

[​IMG]
    Yeah I know I'm late I'm a terrible person
    It's time for a new episode of the KH-Vids Podcast!

Having covered news surrounding Kingdom Hearts Unchained X[chi] last week, this week @Misty, @libregkd, and @Calxiyn are joined by staff guest @Krowley to tackle the term "Strong Female Character" -- discussing what we feel the term means, and how it has been misunderstood, misused, and tainted today. Our inspiration for the conversation comes from the recently released movie Mad Max: Fury Road, but -- naturally, for the KH-Vids Podcast, -- we also evaluate the Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy series' portrayal of women, women's roles in the stories, and how they can improve (mostly by adding more!).

As per usual, we also answer user-submitted questions! @Graxe forces us to limit our worldview and @Quilligan turns us into pugnacious adventurers.We also plug our E3 coverage plans, which we hope you all will be excited about!

Please support and participate in the KH-Vids Podcast by leaving us a comment, answering our user-submitted questions, submitting to be a guest, or sending in questions of your own -- and have a Kingdom Hearts day!

93cover.png

Download Episode #93 (MP3)
    Subscribe to us on iTunes or through our RSS feed

Interested in being a member guest on the podcast? Fill out our form here and we'll be in touch. Ask us a question by visiting this page or sending an email to podcast@kh-vids.net!

Last edited: May 27, 2015
Tags: this article has not been tagged
Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Community News & Projects' started by Misty, May 27, 2015.

1. Amaury
      Amaury
      We'll forgive you because of the server errors. :D
    2. Scarred Nobody
      Scarred Nobody
      I agree with what you guys said when saying a good female character is just a well written character. They have flaws, strengths, and is just a normal person. I think the thing about Strong Female Characters being stereotyped as "The Woman Who Kicks Ass" is that for a long time women have been in submissive roles in storytelling. Always the damsel in distress, waiting for their prince to come, and being nothing more than a trophy. And I agree with what Misty said with how these can be well written characters. An example is "Into The Woods". It contains the classic Cinderella story, but it has her questioning what's going on.

Two things that I saw around the same time was "Agent Carter" and "Big Eyes". Both of these stories take place during the (relative) same time period, and their main protagonist is a female. I honestly think that Margret Keane (as portrayed in the film, I know nothing of her in real life) was a much stronger character than Peggy Carter was.

Agent Carter really put it in your face that Peggy was in a world dominated by men, so much so, that it seemed really comical and unrealistic. Everything that was said by anyone other than Peggy was how dominate men were at this time, and how much better she is. It kept hammering that message that it couldn't be considered an undertone. It was so unbaringly preachy that I didn't even finish the series.

However, with Big Eyes, it is clear what the social system was in the film, but it wasn't in your face about it. Margret was submissive to her husband, but her motivations of staying with him made her really strong. She was doing it to give her daughter the life she never had. And the very second her daughter wasn't safe, she left her husband. She was a completely selfless character and did everything in her power to protect her family.
    3. . : tale_wind
      . : tale_wind
      The sexism Peggy faced in the workplace in the show was actually pretty accurate to the 1940s. I disagree with your assertion that the show insists that Peggy is better than her coworkers, however; the problem isn't that her coworkers are stupid or incompetent, but that her coworkers took her less seriously and overlooked her because she was a woman and that was the attitude of the time, even though she was just as qualified as them. We just see her doing the most because she's the protagonist.
    4. Hayabusa
      Hayabusa
      I GET IT GUYS I'LL GO SEE MAD MAX SOON

Yay mentioning Final Fantasy VIII without negativity ._.

Ugh why am I the only one hyped for Arkham Knight.

(psssst Dead or Alive 5 is a damn good fighting game...just ignore the costumes you don't like. Hell, even the guys get skimpy if you want some equality. It's no worse than Soulcalibur now.)
    5. Rik
      Rik
      A little late maybe, but I'm totally here for an E3 live streaming thing. Not sure my time zone permits participating though...
    6. Misty
      Misty
      We'll pretty much be going all day, so you may be able to join us for a conference or two! There's a stickied topic in our gaming section with all the times across different time zones.