KH-Vids Podcast Episode #88: The Force Is Strong in Our Podcast

Discussion in 'Community News & Projects' started by Misty, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Misty gimme kiss

[​IMG]
    In a phenomenal show of self-control, @Misty has gone an entire year without a Star Wars related episode -- but with the release of a new The Force Awakens trailer, the KH-Vids Podcast ( @Misty, @libregkd, @Calxiyn, and staff guest @Knight of Fafnir ) climbs in the Millennium Falcon for a return journey to a galaxy far, far away!

As per usual we begin by covering some Kingdom Hearts news; in an interview with Famitsu, Tetsuya Nomura confirmed that development on Kingdom Hearts III is proceeding smoothly, and hinted at a future smartphone entry for the series, to be announced at this year's D23 Expo Japan. We speculate on just what that title will be and the possibility of a Kingdom Hearts release in 2015.

We dive into an in-depth breakdown and analysis of The Force Awakens, speculating on the plot and characters revealed in the short teaser, our expectations and hopes for the return of old characters (Luke, Leia, and Han Solo), join the BB-8 fan train, and allow ourselves to entertain the fantasy of a Knights of the Old Republic connection in Kylo Ren's mask. Unveiled along with the teaser was also the new Star Wars: Battlefront; we cover the specifics of it and predict that it will dominate holiday sales this year.

Finally we answer user-submitted questions! @Scarred Nobody accuses The Force Awakens of being pure fanservice, @Quilligan asks us to evaluate acceptable social behavior and which fictional characters we relate to most, and @Graxe pulls us into the slightly horrifying lore of Bloodborne.

Please support and participate in the KH-Vids Podcast by leaving us a comment, answering our user-submitted questions, submitting to be a guest, or sending in questions of your own! May the Force be with you!

starwarscover.png

Download Episode #88 (MP3)
    Subscribe to us on iTunes or through our RSS feed

Interested in being a member guest on the podcast? Fill out our form here and we'll be in touch. Ask us a question by visiting this page or sending an email to podcast@kh-vids.net!

Tags: this article has not been tagged
Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Community News & Projects' started by Misty, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Scarred Nobody
      Scarred Nobody
      I'm pretty sure I've stated it before but I have no real negative sentiment to Star Wars as a concept. I think the prequels are okay, and it's been years since I've seen the original trilogy, so I have no commentary on those. Whenever I have an urge to watch Star Wars, it's always ruined by the hyper fans. They've made the barrier of entry for newcomers rather difficult. I get it, the prequels aren't as good as the originals; I don't care! Everyone else can move on, why can't you.

- When it comes to intial reactions, I more side with Cal's view. I can definately say that it looked really cool, but that's about it.

- From the discussion, it seems that Hamill's going to be playing the same role he did in Birth By Sleep,

- I only think one thing when I think of BB8: Merchandising. He is there for one purpose, and that is to sell toys.

- All that stuff of Ky-Lo Ren (no idea how to spell it) actually sounds really cool.

- I think I always thought that there would be an Episode 7, and it goes down to why BB8 is a thing. Star Wars is a franchise recognized around the world that can be endlessly be milked. It all comes down to money.

- I find it a bit odd how Star Wars does play some role in my life, even though I'm kinda Lukewarm (pun not intended) towards it. I remember seeing Phantom Menice as a kid, when I didn't care for quality, so I do have fond memories of it. I think I just really liked Darth Maul, having dressed up like him for Halloween several times I don't remember being too fond of Attack of the Clones when it came out. I can clearly remember seeing Revenge of the Sith in theaters (which I will defend as a good movie) with my cousin, which was a really cool moment. And my best friend has called me Yoda since middle school. I was the shortest in our class, but also the oldest (and probably the smartest). We're still great friends, although I'm not sure he knows what my real name is.

- I laughed so God damn hard at the Han Solo moment. Honestly, it was the thing I cared about the least with the trailer. Everyone knows he's going to be in the film, so it didn't feel that big of a reveal. I don't know; it just doesn't do anything for me.

- For relating to a character, I would say that I relate to Armin from "Attack on Titan" a lot. I'm not a fighter, but I will if I have to protect someone/something. More often than not, I'll want to come up with the best strategy possible. I also really relate to Kaori from "Your Lie in April". For one thing, she is a disabled character, and probably one of the best disabiled characters I've probably seen. Besides that, she marches to the beat of her own drum (or violin in this case), and doesn't allow her illness to conqur her life. In a way, that also relates to Luna Lovegood, my favorite character from the "Harry Potter" series (minus the whole disability thing).
    2. Ghost
      Ghost
      - STAR WARS!!!!!!!! (does Misty play SWTOR?)
      - star wars
      - STarWarzzZz!!!!!
      - *star wars theme*
      - starwars........
      - The female part is a little underwritten
      - Yay! More lady characters (>////<)
      - BB-8 is a gift from the gods

I still haven't seen the trailer yet, and even time I try I end up not doing it (not sure why though). The theaters are going to be packed when this comes out. all of the back seats are going to be taken :(

Chewie and Han, though!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    3. Misty
      Misty
      Yeah, I joke about them quite a bit but I don't harbor animosity towards the prequels. They have a lot of problems but there's some good stuff in there too. Attack of the Clones is my guilty pleasure. Phantom Menace is... bad though. It's the only one I'd tell people that they can outright skip.
      I don't think that's necessarily true. Granted they were created before they knew what a merchandising cash cow Star Wars would be, but C3P0 and R2D2 have roles similar to what BB-8's probably will be. They're mostly comic relief, that's true, but they do function within the story too. Obviously we don't know yet how important BB-8 will be and I've no doubt there will be plenty of BB-8 merchandise, but I think it's extreme to say BB-8's entire purpose is merchandising.
      That's to be expected for people who aren't emotionally invested in the original trilogy; like I said, I'm totally okay with admitting that the Han & Chewie scene was pure fanservice.
      I don't! I have some very negative feelings about The Old Republic after what it did to Knights of the Old Republic canon and that it was created in lieu of a (much needed) Knights of the Old Republic sequel. I did try it back when it first went free to play, but it didn't go well for several reasons -- I had never played an MMO before and so I didn't really know what to expect in terms of gameplay (after playing FFXIV for a while I would probably be better at other MMOs, or at least more familiar), and I was playing on a PC that couldn't run it terribly well.

I wouldn't really consider trying it again. An MMO is a big commitment that I didn't feel ready to make -- that's why I dropped my FFXIV sub. If I was inclined to start an MMO again, I'd probably go back to FFXIV.
    4. Scarred Nobody
      Scarred Nobody
      It's just something about BB-8 by design that makes me think of it as just merchandising. I could tell when I saw it in the first trailer that people would want it before even knowing what it is. Now, that's not to say that it has no purpose. It could definitely be something very relative to the plot, but I just feel that it's original inception was to print money. It's a bit like you were saying with Battlefront: it's going to make a lot of money. That's not to say it's bad, but there is a clear reason why it's being made.

Yeah, it just didn't really hit me. I honestly think it would've been more effective if they didn't reveal that the original cast was coming back. I know that's practically impossible with how the internet is, but could you imagine watching this, not knowing if Ford, Hamill, or anyone else was involved. Even I would've thought that it would be really cool. But, since I knew that they were all returning, it didn't feel like much of a surprise.
    5. Glen
      Glen
      You guys should've saved these topics for a little over a week away in honour of may the fourth and revenge of the fifth.

#Disappointed.

Though, this was very entertaining and enjoyable to listen to, and I'm interested to see how you could possibly top this on May 4.