KH-Vids Podcast Episode #69: Death of a Handheld

Discussion in 'Community News & Projects' started by Misty, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Misty gimme kiss

[​IMG]
    It's Tuesday and you know what that means! Time for a new episode of the Podcast!

This week @Misty and @libregkd are joined by staff guest @Plums and member guest @Mish to discuss handheld consoles, inspired by their recently plummeting sales. We begin by reminiscing about the handhelds of yore, (namely the Gameboy and the PSP), then speculate about the future of the PS Vita and the 3DS. Will these former stalwarts of the gaming industry continue to have a place in the next few years? Or will they too join the graveyard of devices replaced by smartphones? Only time will tell, but that doesn't mean we can't make some predictions!

Following that we answer user-submitted questions! @Eric Luna inspires some bathroom humor, @Graxe wonders about our weight on other planets, @Sweeney Tummer gives our censor noise its proper praise, @Robiɳ asks us about our Halloween plans, and finally, @Plums forces us to select just one fictional character to become our best friend / soulmate. In short, we confront the real questions on the KH-Vids Podcast once again!

Please everyone enjoy the episode, and participate by sending in questions, submitting to be a guest, suggesting a topic, or just leaving us a comment!

cover2014.png

Download Episode #69 (MP3)
    Subscribe to us on iTunes or through our RSS feed

Interested in being a member guest on the podcast? Fill out our form here and we'll be in touch. Ask us a question by visiting this page or sending an email to podcast@kh-vids.net!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
Tags: this article has not been tagged
Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Community News & Projects' started by Misty, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Amaury
      Amaury
      What, no Llave!? D:
    2. kitty_mckechnie
      kitty_mckechnie
      You'll have to settle for Misty's voice to soothe you to sleep.
    3. Hayabusa
      Hayabusa
      • Jeeeeez Misty, you thief. But I guess people do totally leave stuff behind. Even better is that non-apology.
      • Yes Misty, children do have small hands :p
      • WOAH MISTY YOU HATE DOGS? SORRY NOPE I'M LEAVING THIS SITE
      • I do think Pokemon belongs on handhelds. Portability is perfect for its theme of carrying around monsters anywhere you go. But I would like some console spin-offs, a la XD: Gale of Darkness on the Gamecube.
      • Handhelds, to me, are not dying. They've just found their niche..."they" being the Nintendo 3DS. I don't think the Vita will last for that many more years. So few of the greatest titles for it are being released outside of Japan.
      • Oh, handhelds definitely do better in Japan. It stems at least partly due to the early adoption of complex (read: not Tetris) cell phone games, as well as a far larger number of Japanese developers actually developing for portable systems. The western developers seem far behind, in number and in quality titles.
      • Super Smash Brothers 3DS definitely suffered a loss in sales due to many people choosing to wait for the Wii U version.
      • Ehhhh, I don't think Pokemon will ever be on a non-Nintendo system. Imagine seeing Super Mario Bros. on a cell phone. I can't.
      • Oh God, you guys said a Best Friends Zaibatsu thingy. "VITA MEANS LIFE"
      • "Xbx" is a terrible idea. Shame on you Libre.
      • I thought Newtons were a measure of energy? Could be definitely wrong. Been years since I had physics.
      • Oh jeez that Moogle party. I like the mini one too :>
      • If I had a teacher come into class with "What's up, ****ers?" I'd think I'm back in theater or something.
      • Misty, your theaters should definitely start pushing the fez.
      • Yeah, Jar Jar kinda ****ed up BADLY in Episode III...and Episode I and II.
      • DUDE MISTY BE THE JEDI MANAGER IN A HUSKY CHILD'S COSTUME
      • I think my fictional character would ideally be Greed from Fullmetal Alchemist, in hopes that I can share my body with him and gain all the Homonculus abilities that Ling did.
      • Or for a soul mate, I'd pick Yuna from Final Fantasy X, or Hanekawa Tsubasa from Monogatari, or Ty Lee from Avatar: The Last Airbender, or Asami or Korra from Legend of Korra. Or Aqua from Kingdom Hearts. Mmmmmmmmmmm....
      • Misty, you super gay :>
      • YO ANDY WOULD BE GR-actually I dunno Misty, I feel like you'd be more of a mom than a girlfriend for him...unless you're into that...
      • This conflict should be called The Waifu Wars just saying
      • Oh yeah my birthday is in November too :3
      Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    4. Misty
      Misty
      I'VE BEEN ATTACKED BY AND OTHERWISE HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT BAD EXPERIENCES WITH DOGS IN MY LIFE I'M SORRY please don't go ;~;
      Likewise! There's something beautiful about the idea of just pulling out my Gameboy and playin' some Pokemon with my pals no matter where!
      Same, though I do have hopes for the Vita. It's a situation where someone has to make the first move... people outside of Japan won't buy a Vita until there are more games on it, and Japanese developers won't release their Vita games outside of Japan unless there are more Vita owners worldwide. That's why I hope that Sony will start to push Remote Play very heavily -- it will, hopefully, push more people to buy Vitas, which means more developers will start to see the Vita as a viable platform.
      Yeah I don't really know why Nintendo chose to stagger the release... I suppose they were expecting more people to want the game on Wii U and were hoping that releasing it on the 3DS first would get people to buy the 3DS version? But really what it's done is just make people wait, as you said.
      How did I forget about Aqua!? Yuna I would love to be best friends with, not so much soul mates. Lulu, on the other hand...
      Dancing.gif
      I like to imagine myself a nice middle-point between April and Leslie so I think Andy would be well-suited to me. c:
      I was going to reply to this saying "ayyy Scorpios in the house!" but I think you're outside the date range for Scorpios so whutevaaaaah
    5. Hayabusa
      Hayabusa
      Pls hold a puppy and tell me you hate dogs again. Just try.

Exactly. That's part of the whole appeal of Pokemon.

Ugh, I really hate situations like these. Just like Capcom's "no sequels for games unless they sell 2 million copies!" Like, if you really want to make sales, you have to take more risks. Import more Japanese titles, Sony and publishers. Many people have already shown strong interest.

Not Nintendo's decision entirely; it's mainly the choice of the development teams of Sora Ltd. and Bandai Namco. Nintendo is the publisher, of course.

I see Misty likes dem...belts. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'd also expect some Anne from you. She's so precious ;.;

Sagittarius represent.
    6. Misty
      Misty
      It's just... the smell and the fur everywhere and I'm sorry but animals licking me is GROSS and I have no urge to experience that
      Which... then I think that it really falls on Sony to entice people, even if they're just paying devs to localize their games. It'll be something to hopefully attract people to the Vita.
      [​IMG]

y-yes the belts
      I do love Ann but only sometimes! Her characterization just got really rocky and erratic overall. I do love Rashida Jones and the character, generally, though.
      It may be better that way, Scorpios are notoriously one of the most difficult and complicated of signs, besides perhaps Taurus lol.
      ( and trust me, scorpios and tauruses do noooooot mix well )
    7. libregkd
    8. Scarred Nobody
      Scarred Nobody
      If you couldn't tell, I'm a big fan of swearing.

The PSP I think was treated more as "the way of the future" and the nintendo systems were less worried about that. I did kinda buy into that when I was a kid and saw my dad watching "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" (great movie, come at me bro) and the picture quality was fantastic!

I actually had a Game Boy Micro, and I personally loved it. Sure, it was really small, but I really liked the layout of it, and it fit better in your pocket. I was a bit sad that it was short lived.

My first DS was actually an old one my cousin found on a baseball feild. It was pink, which honestly didn't bug me too much because I finally was able to have a DS.

For Plum's friend/waifu question: Haruhi Suzumiya is my pick. She does what she wants, eccentric, loud as hell, and doesn't let anyone push her around. She is everything that I want to be, but too much of a pansy to actually do. Plus, when I die, her sadness would activate her Auto-Evolution whatever and she'll just create a new world just for the two of us where we could do whatever.

(@Misty when you said "super gay" I thought you were going to break out into that song from the South Park movie)

I actually was the script writer for Mike's newest video. #HumbleBrag

And my two year heartiversary is actually this coming Tuesday.

And you should totally dress up for Halloween! Screw what normal people think! I'll stop being excited for Halloween as soon as my soul dies!

And, Misty...PLEASE TALK ABOUT GAMER GATE! You don't understated how much I would love to see that. I'm willing to pay you to talk about it!
      Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    9. Hayabusa
      Hayabusa
      Ehhhhh, I think that horse has been beaten plenty by a ton of other people, and frankly, I'm less interested in GamerGate itself than about the subjects that made it happen.
    10. Misty
      Misty
      I think you'll be pleasantly surprised in the next few days... ;)
    11. Scarred Nobody
      Scarred Nobody
      [​IMG]
    12. Eric Luna
      Eric Luna
      About the question about who you would want to be your friend/soulmate, I choose Riku from Kingdom Hearts 3D because we both are both light and dark. I need a friend similar to me.