Engineers

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Leblonk, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Leblonk Destiny Islands Resident

So my Dad is an electronics engineer. This means that whenever something goes wrong with our computers, we don't have to call a helpdesk manned by foreigners with uninteligable accents (no offence foreigners! We're glad to have you, but your boss should not have put you on the phones until you learned good enough English to be able to help!) Instead, my Dad fixes it. Same with lights, TVs, washing machines, dish washers and a whole slew of other things, which is pretty cool right? Unfortunately, it also mean that he thinks he's a plumber, decorator, carpenter, and expert on anything you care to mention. He is an alright carpenter, and he has done a good job with the decorating, but plumbing...Let me put it in perspective.

About three weeks ago, our drains backed up into the stairs leading down into the basement (luckily it was the stairs outside) so all the bathrooms and taps were on lockdown until he could figure out what it was. So, when the water went down, he had us flush a toilet. It flooded. So that toilet was unusable. When the water went down he had us fill up the kitchen sink, and then let the water go. Nothing. So the kitchen sink was good. You get the idea. This went on for a while until he decided which drain had the problem. It was the one with our main bathrooms on it. So we all had to troup up to the third floor to use the toilet there. Not fun. So! now we knew where the blockage was, and he ran his 25 ft snake through it. Nothing. eventually he rented one from homedepot. Twice. On tuesday he decided that we could use the bathrooms, so we think it's fixed now.

This gives you an idea of what my Dad is like. No matter how long it takes, or how hard it is, he thinks he can do it better than any profesional. Now, the measures he took to find out which pipe had the blockage are logical, and more or less what i would have done myself, but he's not always this logical. Somtimes he's downright excentric in his ideas. Vis. today!

There is an enclosed porch along the side of our house which we call the sun room. It has three doors. One leading into the rest of the house, one leading outside at the back of the house, and one leading outside in the front of the house. Every year, my Dad and I take out the storm window for the door at the back, put it away, and put in the screen. Then we take the screen out, and put the storm window back. The storm window never wants to go back into it's frame, which means sveral minute of standing around holding the glass up for me, and tool hunting for Dad. All well and good. Well last year the storm window fell out of the door at the front and broke. So when Dad and I took the storm window out today, he decided it would be a good idea to put it in at the front of the door, with the idea that he would replace the broken one by the time we need it in the winter. Never mind that it's been over a year and he hasn't replaced it yet! Let's ignore that fact. It's unimportant. Well the little tabs that hold the window in place are broken on that side of tha house (which explains why the other window fell out) so he took them from the other window. So now he has to buy mor of those. Today. Whereas if he had just put the storm window away, like we usually do, he wouldn't have to go out. Oh! And did I mention that the storm window for the back of the house appears to be an 8th of an inch bigger than the frame for the front of the house?

This is typical, in fact, this is a very mild example of his excentricity. As far as I can make out, this is typical of engineers. I'm not complaining....Scratch that, I am complaining about my Dad, but I love him, and I tend to be the same way. we're all weird in our own ways. It's not that big of a thing. I just felt like ranting.

By the way! No offence to the engineers out there!

2. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

This kind of money saving behavior is typical of Asians and Jews.

So yes. Engineers.

3. Jiηx You're such a loser.

Twisting like a flame in a slow dance, baby.
    Can I get the cliffnotes? I got to TV's and drifted off

4. Leblonk Destiny Islands Resident

Sorry, we're neither. Just Republican Americans (PLEASE! NOBODY ATTACK ME FOR MY POLITICS!)

Really? You can't read and watch TV? I can. I can read a whole book that way. To sum up, my Dad is infuriating.

5. libregkd -

6. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

Note: Don't broadcast your politics unless you are willing to be attacked. I'd say to edit that out now.

7. Leblonk Destiny Islands Resident

nah. I'm fine. That was more of a joke tha anything else. I love debates and civilized discussion, just not pointless slamming.

8. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

[​IMG]

9. Jiηx You're such a loser.

Twisting like a flame in a slow dance, baby.
    I can read and watch TV, i got to the part in your story when you said TV's and I drifted off, because it was dull.

10. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

You lost me at the part where choosing a political party as a form of identity is not pointless slamming. To yourself, at the very least.

11. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

That's cool. Just don't always expect other to share the sentiment, around here it's not all that bad but you know how stupid people can get about petty disagreements.

12. Leblonk Destiny Islands Resident

Then what was the point of commenting? :-) No patience. That's the problem with my generation. Anything longer than three lines and they say something along the lines of tl;dr.

13. libregkd -

14. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

15. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

He used that Kefka one when I first joined.

Which one did you mean?

16. Leblonk Destiny Islands Resident

Well I was going to say American Christians, but I figured I'd be more likely to get slammed for that than for politics. Anyway, I wasn't defining myself, not in that sense. I don't know what I am and therefor can't label myself. but a pastor I heard once said "It doesn't matter who you are, but whose you are."
    anyway, it's all good, just don't think that I'm trying to pick a fight.
    I know. One of my aunts friend took a perfectly harmless, and mildly humorous post in favour of the Repubs, and twisted it around into an argument. That's what I don't like. People that bash the other side, and then run to momma when people retaliate! Dude! What did you expect? :-)

17. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

The little sprite one. I'm sure he's changed it, but given how little I see him I feel like I missed the changes.

18. libregkd -

19. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

20. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Nope, because that actually does identify you. I'm more bothered that you think they are synonymous. Political parties do not define your political beliefs, either as a politician in that party or otherwise.

You really shouldn't add those emoticons to things. It doesn't add anything to your post and if you are using it specifically because what you said would otherwise be offensive then it is the same as if you were smiling while saying something negative in person.

It doesn't blend well.