End of the World tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Hissora, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

They weren't creating another Big Bang, just reenacting the moments after the Big Bang, and on a microscopic scale. But yea, I agree with RA on just a bout everything in that post.

2. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

I honestly cannot believe the amount of ignorance there is on this topic. If you don't research or read into it you have no right to even comment.

They are not setting out to make black-holes, they are a byproduct of the main experiments. These black holes are microscopic (i.e. cannot be seen) and last for less than a nano-second (we're talking trillionths of seconds here). And anyway, they are so small that they would be so far away from any other matter to actually suck anything in.

Also, they are just testing it now. It was run at a fifth power, then increased. They don't expect to see results for another year to eighteen months.

There are five main experiments taking place. One to learn more about dark matter, one about the direct aftermath of the Big Bang (not to reproduce the actual event itself, I mean come on that's just ******ed), one to find the so-called "God" particle (i.e. the Higgs boson) and evidence of the Higgs field which would explain in a simple way why things have mass, looking for new physics such as extra dimensions and finally investigating as to what happened to the missing anti-matter in our universe (as at the Big Bang matter and anti-matter would have been created in equal amounts).

READ THIS

I hope that helps clear it up.

3. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

Oh, I only knew about the recreation of the events after the Big Bang. Thanks for the additional info.

4. 778MasterMarluxia Twilight Town Denizen

this topic scares me. idk it's all weird and i just dont get it.

5. Crumpet In your shadow, I can shine!

this is the first death threat that has had me mid-way ~ im not going to jump to ny conclusions about if we die or not... i just can't see it happening, though its the most realistic. Why are those stupid scientists trying to recreate the big bang anyway. There risking everything just to find one bit of information

6. Xaale Sylph of Hope

I would never risk all the people in the world's lives just to get a few seconds of the past. It's really stupid, and very risky, though right now it obviously didn't work because we're still alive.

7. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

1. They aren't recreating the Big Bang, they're recreating the moments after the Big Bang.

2. It has several purposes, one of the more major ones being the search for the hypothesized Higgs boson (informally called the "God particle") which has numerous chemical and physical attributes that could tell us amazing things about chemistry and physics, not to mention the practical uses it may have. When the odds of failure are one out of an immeasurably high number, I say go for it.

8. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

As has been mentioned several times, by several different people....

THEY ARE NOT TRYING TO RECREATE THE BIG BANG

Hopefully that got through this time >:

9. Haseo Knight of Light

Why would they risk the entire Earth for a little info? Yeah, it could prove that the Big Bang did happen, but why risk the lives of everybody on Earth?

10. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

They are also not trying to prove that the Big Bang happened. They are recreating what they theorise the direct aftermath (i.e. a couple of billionths of a second after) was like. This is because that was when the first particles of matter came into existence.

We are also at a completely minimal risk. You are more likely to be killed by a meteor strike or be struck by lightening twice than a black hole actually forming. And even if it does there is a virtually no chance of anything coming of it (I hesitate to say that it is non-zero simply because the universe is random like that).

11. P Banned

The scientists have said "We have no idea what will happen, but we assure you, it is safe." Now call me a fear monger if you like, but I don't exactly find that a ringing endorsement.

The world only needs to end once. You've crossed the road without harm millions of times, but that does not mean a car cannot hit you tomorrow.

Sure there is something to fear. If the world were to end, we would be dead. Do you mean that you don't fear a mass murderer? After all, he shoots you and you are dead.

12. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

They know with as much certainty there is in the circumstances what is going to happen. That is what all the research before it was built was for. They work it all out on paper so they know roughly what is going to happen.

Also, if you took attitude then you would never cross the road and never get anywhere. You have to take risks in life or you aren't living. Why, if people didn't take risks the USA would never have existed.

Another point to make is that death should not be feared. You were dead for billions of years before you were born, technically life is the odd part ;D And anyway, the world ending would be one of the most exciting things to ever happen in the entirety of human history. We would be among the last humans! =D

13. Fellangel Bichael May

Don't believe the world is going to end tomorrow. Either by a huge atom bomb or a meteor the size of the sun, the chances are slim. The only way the world is going to end is about a million years. And don't even think about that. Negative is bad XP

14. ArchVice Gummi Ship Junkie

Well, after a week of this machine running, we are still here. I knew it wasn't going to happen. It was too science fiction-ish.

15. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

It has actually been shut down until next spring due to a leak of the super-cooled helium used to make the superconducting magnets efficient. (and because electricity is too expensive for it to be feasible to run during midwinter).

Link

16. ArchVice Gummi Ship Junkie

Interesting article. I wish to see this machine run at full power.

17. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

That's a shame. I was really looking forward to see if this machine could really uncover the mysteries of the Higgs boson...

18. ArchVice Gummi Ship Junkie

Bummer. I can't wait til the preliminary experiment is complete and they publish a report.

19. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

They have said that results aren't to be expected for another year to 18 months anyway, so what's a couple of months on top of that? lol

Trust me, we will all have forgotten about it by the time the results come out.

20. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

Yea, true, but as a biochem-major-to-be I'm quite interested in this. xD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.