Duolingo Language Learning Battle Royale!

Discussion in 'The Playground' started by Calxiyn, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

Despite the title it's not that serious guys

Duolingo_logo_with_owl.svg.png
    Introduction: What is Duolingo?
    Duolingo is a website and phone app who's mission is for everyone to be able to have access to learn different languages through technology, in a fun and creative way! We've all tried it, right? I know I have - making a New Years Resolution to learn a new language before giving up in a few days, but that's because I found nothing was working for me personally. But with Duolingo learning is fun, free, and fast. I've already learned over 200 words and it's only been less then a week!

Duolingo is a lot of fun on it's own - so why not make it more fun by having a little competition with your friends, while encouraging them to continue learning a language. Sometimes motivation from your friends can go a long way!

The Mission: (What we're doing exactly)
    So after talking to a couple people in my Discord Server, my idea is basically to have a leaderboard similar to the one for KHUX. There will be a single leaderboard for everyone who would like to participate, to have an individual score, and also Teams if y'all wanna partner together or alliance to destroy your competition. This will not only motivate people to continue, but you could also get some fun rewards out of it! (If this goes on long enough I'm thinking a Pin but the staff will have to help with that). You can also post in this thread if you need help, like if you're struggling with learning a certain language or a certain category within a language, or just need help getting to your daily goals. We're all here to support and motivate each other while having a little fun!

The Leaderboard: (How it works)

If you go to Duolingo.com, you can see the amount of EXP you've earned for the entire week, as shown here.

duolingo.PNG

All you have to do is send this to me and I'll update your score on the Leaderboard! Please screen cap your entire screen though complete with the date/time/etc on the corner so we know you aren't cheating >: ) But if you do decide to "cheat", that's on you, and you wouldn't really be learning right?

After these numbers are given to me I'll create a fancy little leaderboard in like... excel or something, I don't know but I'll make it look pretty, and then we can see who's won each week. Then, we can also see who's top for the month as Duolingo also gives your monthly score!

You could also do mini challenges given to you by me. For example, I may want to see who can finish the Practice for Basics 1 the fastest. So you could take a picture of your screen with the start screen on one half, and a clock that shows the seconds on the other. Then, after you're finished, you could screen capture the end time with the end screen, like so:

cap.PNG cap 2.PNG

That was pretty bad because my audio wasn't working but you get the idea XD You can also see it says practice again in the corner so we'd know that you actually pressed the practice button instead of doing something else, like an actual lesson. The people who would want to would send in their time would send me screenshots like so, and I would manually give them EXP for the leaderboard (since like, I can't put EXP into your Duolingo account Lmao). I also want to give out EXP based on your streak! You can enable your duolingo to give you a streak challenge for every day you reach your goal. For every 5 days you get on your streak, I'll give you 10 extra EXP!

The Thread: (So what do I do now)
    In the meantime, you can talk to each other, brag about how much EXP you're getting, tell us why you're learning the language you're learning and interact with a bunch of people trying to learn another language! That's pretty much it.

The week ends on Sunday at 0:00 UTC, which is 8:00 PM Friday, Eastern Time (ET).
    Please get your numbers in by then! You can either send them to me, or become my friend on the app. If you're friends with me on the app I can see your weekly score and total it myself.

Calxiyn: Calxiyn
    Chris: Tafatho
    Kaisa: Kaisa
    Marushi: Plush Chrome
    Strawberry: ???
    Huginn: Kevin
    Midnight: Midny
    Cat: Cat~
    Agent Aussie: Agent Aussie

Leaderboard for August 13-20

Duolingo week 1.PNG duolingo week 1 2.PNG

Leaderboard for August 20-27

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

I'm in! I'm learning Portuguese through Duolingo. And I apparently have no 'stop' button so idk how much EXP I can earn in a week... XD

3. Strawberryqueen2002 Moogle Assistant

I'm interested. Spanish(get ready to be crushed in the mighty battle)

4. Huginn Moogle Assistant

I'm down. I'm doing Japanese.

5. Midnight Star Master of Physics

I'm in, doing French, username is Midny feel free to add me.

6. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

I want to see how much total exp you have already because I'm super curious. Also what subject are you at? I'm at possessions and I'm close to taking the first test or whatever

Awesome! What made you decide to what to do Spanish? Was it Despactio

Awesome! What made you decide to learn Japanese?

You should have a head start then right? Cause don't they make you learn French all through highschool in England?

7. Strawberryqueen2002 Moogle Assistant

8. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

I've got 280 EXP so far. And I've only finished up to the first Food course, I'm doing a lot of practicing and Strengthening to make sure I get it down before I continue XD

9. Ghost King's Apprentice

Is there a club yet

10. Midnight Star Master of Physics

Well I did a bit up at school up to Y8 (13 years old) but I didn't take the GCSE so stopped after that. I also wasn't particularly good at it. The biggest head start is on exp though as I've done it on duolingo before but it would still be a fair fight on the weekly leader board.

11. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

This IS the club :P but seriously you can only make a club with people who are doing your same language and we're all doing different stuff so no. We'll have our little clubhouse on the forum XD

12. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

How is everyone doing so far! I'm almost done the first level if you will:

IMG_5862.PNG

All my other skills are gold cause I was dying so much during possessions, and I decided to stop for tonight because of that XD

Also for those who don't know the currency in the app and on the website is different so if you want to use your points for something like the flirting subject I suggest doing it through the website since the mobile currency is used to like... be more expensive so you'll buy more gems Lmao

13. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

I haven't worked on mine today much bc my husband is home all day and I feel weird doing it with him here. XD It won't ruin my streak though bc I was working on it after midnight last night so I have all the EXP I need to keep my streak XD

14. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

Ikr! When my grandparents are around I don't like to do it cause they're fluent in Italian obviously and so like, I feel like they may ask me too many questions or think I'm doing badly XD I know they wouldn't but I'm paranoid

I do it with Hunter tho, I like seeing if he knows what words mean without me giving him any knowledge beforehand

15. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

After I started learning, I sent a message to a friend from Portugal, and I meant to say "I drink coffee" and I accidentally told him "I am coffee." XD I saw my mistake and corrected it before he messaged me back, but he was laughing about it XD

16. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

I did something similar earlier because the sentence was formatted in a weird way. Like it said "The sweet cake is yours" and I put "your cake is sweet" and it got mad XD

One of the examples on the thing is "The fish drink water" and I'm like ????no???they don't??? Or do they and we just don't know they are? It was just a weird little sentence.
    --- Post updated ---
    I did something similar earlier because the sentence was formatted in a weird way. Like it said "The sweet cake is yours" and I put "your cake is sweet" and it got mad XD

One of the examples on the thing is "The fish drink water" and I'm like ????no???they don't??? Or do they and we just don't know they are? It was just a weird little sentence.

17. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

lol. I haven't had to deal much with complicated stuff like that yet. I was having a touch of trouble because I kept translating 'read' as 'write' bc I guess subconsciously I'm all about writing, so even though 'ler' and 'escreva' aren't all that similar, I kept putting 'write' for both of them. XD

18. Strawberryqueen2002 Moogle Assistant

19. Day~Dream Kingdom Keeper

I wanted to join in on this but unfortunately duolingo doesn't have the language I want to learn (Arabic) ;-;

20. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

If you look up "Duolingo Arabic" you get tons, and I MEAN tons of threads talking about it lol. Apparently they started the green light for the course 3 years ago and now it was in beta or something. I haven't found anything recent, only stuff from a year ago so let's hope it comes out soon! It does look like it will be coming out eventually anyway :P