Drivers license

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by woodstockfootball26, Jan 21, 2013.

1. woodstockfootball26 Traverse Town Homebody

Guys, Im gonna be taking my driver's test in the next week and I am UNCONTROLLABLY nervous... I feel so in the unknown. I have no clue what the test is going to be like and I'm Just really nervous. HELP! Im 16 by the way o_O

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

Are there any parts in particular you're nervous about? I got marked down on parallel parking for not checking a blind spot, I think, backing around a corner, and other minor things.

You're not alone, though. I was nervous at the beginning of my driving test. My left foot, which is the foot used on the clutch (we have a stick-shift), was shaking during the parallel parking part, and I kept thinking that I was going to kill it, but I didn't.

After that, when the actual driving part started, the nervous just went away. We were out for about 15 minutes, and I passed with an 88%.

Overall, just don't think about it so much and you should do fine.

I watched this UK driving test to give me an idea. Obviously, there are differences in the UK (for example, driving tests are 60 minutes there), but it should give you a general idea.

3. Llave Superless Moderator

A few tips that helped me pass with no problems at all.

- If the Driving Center you're going to has a course, I would run through it a few times so you're comfortable.
    - If you know anyone who took their test there, ask what all goes down. (Like where you go, turnings, et cetera. Practice them from the above statement.)
    - Know your car's workings. Whoever's car you're driving, make sure you can react fast as to where your emergency lights are, turn signals, windshield wipers et cetera.
    - Practice parallel parking a few times.

4. woodstockfootball26 Traverse Town Homebody

I'm definitely going to watch those, but I'm mainly nervous on my parking and parallel parking. Its hard for me to get the hang of it, ya know? I choke under pressure and I'm gonna be really upset if I fail, It's also gonna be pretty embarrassing...[DOUBLEPOST=1358827785][/DOUBLEPOST]Im
    just confused on the main concept of parallel parking, like I havent tried it, and I have no clue where to begin...

5. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

If you've been practicing for some time with a car, it'll be easy, trust me.

6. Amaury Legendary Hero

This might help:

7. Iskandar King of Conquerors

And this is why I'm going to be taking driving lessons as well as practice driving before taking my test.......and I've gotta start reading the North Carolina's driving rules before any of that....huh, probably should start that soon

8. 61 No. B

I haven't taken my test yet, I've had my learner's for almost 2 years and just haven't gotten around to it. However my friends told me that it's nothing to worry about, but if you haven't practiced parallel you should before you take the test.

get two markers of some kind and put them somewhere that cars won't be a problem and practice with those.

9. Misty gimme kiss

I'm seconding taking driving lessons, I took driver's ed through my high school and that taught me better than my mom could have--not that my mom is a bad driver, but driving with her always made me excessively nervous.

The test varies from state to state, I live in New York but we basically rolled around some residential streets, did a three-point-turn (also known as a K-turn or a broken U), and the parallel park. I had to take the test three times so obviously I would encourage you to not feel bad if you don't pass.

The first time I got marked down on dumb things, they may be common mistakes so watch out for these:
    • I looked over my left shoulder instead of right when backing up
    • Didn't "adequately check" surrounding traffic when making a left turn ( WOULD STILL DISPUTE THIS BUT OH WELL )
    • Parked too far from the curb when the test was finished
    Just make sure you drive carefully and safely, watch the speed limit, be aware of nearby school zones, etc.

As for the parallel park, that's something you'll only learn with experience. Practice it several times in the car you'll be taking the test with. In driver's ed we were in a Crown Vic (which is a massive vehicle), when I started practicing in my Volkswagen it was a very different experience. What worked for me was:
    1. Pull side-by-side with the car you're parking behind. Leave a bit less than a foot between you two.
    2. Line up your side mirrors
    3. Turn the wheel a full rotation towards the car you're parking against (to the right/clockwise)
    4. Back up slowly. When your side mirror clears their backseat window, begin pulling the wheel counter-clockwise. As you approach the curb, make your counter-clockwise turns sharper.
    5. Put the car in drive and straighten out.
    Not sure if that's an adequate explanation but yeah, that's how I learned. The key is practice. Best of luck.

10. CaptainMIG Gummi Ship Junkie

all i have to say is relax and focus

also to put out i have my learner perment and i haven't drive ever since.