Drinking or smoking. What is more dangerous in your opinion?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Bond of Flame, May 7, 2009.

?

Drinking/smoking. What is more dangerous?

1. drinking

26.6%
  2. smoking

73.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Stooge Traverse Town Homebody

If you think I qualify as an alcoholic, you're sorely mistaken.

2. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Just to say something, I have smoked two cigarettes in my life when I was like 15 o: but uh, I didn't get addicted, I did throw up after the first one but just pointing out that it isn't like an INSTANT addiction that latches onto you as soon as you take the first drag.

3. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

When I was in 6th grade, I had my first cigarette. Didn't get addicted.
    When I started smoking for real my sophomore year, I had the occasional HALF a cigarette. Never finished them
    Now I'm a full fledge smoker, I have a pack on my dresser right now, I can make a pack last at least 3 weeks. Cigs don't seem to be as addictive as alcohol.

4. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

I would argue that alcohol isn't addictive either to be honest.

I drink a lot, probably way more than I should, but not because of addiction.

People who become addicted to something become addicted because of their own state of mind, whether they choose alcohol, or gambling, or hell :/ even chocolate chip cookies, I think it is more to do with the person than the thing itself.

5. Johnny Stooge Traverse Town Homebody

I've smoked a bunch of cigs. Usually when I'm ****ed off my face drunk, and not once have I found myself craving a smoke.

Addiction isn't "ONE HIT BANG" like most people seem to think.

6. Izzy_JLYoung Merlin's Housekeeper

well I've heard that drinking is actually good for you in small quantities. It all depends on how much you take. I still think smoking is worse cause of lung cancer.

7. In explicit Angst Gummi Ship Junkie

In my opinion smoking, but drinking is very dangerous too.

8. childofturin Why?

Actually, a glass of wine (wineglass size) a day will help your heart. Anything more will start to harm you, but in moderation, alcohol can be beneficial.

And every whiff of secondhand smoke does damage to you. It may not be much, maybe half of what smoking normally does, but if you live with a smoker, or go somewhere with lots of smokers (college campus, for example), it adds up.

9. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

I don't. That was my point.
    How many people do you think will actually only drink one wineglass sized serving of wine in a night? Doubtless they're out there, but the fact is that the vast majority of people will drink a more harmful amount.

And like I said, I don't believe that secondhand smoke is that bad. I live with a hardcore smoker (My dad), I go out and do stuff with him on a regular basis, he smokes a lot around me, I talk with him and is friends on occasion (many of whom also smoke), and I show no signs of any respiratory problems and am actually more athletically fit than a lot of my peers who aren't subject to nearly as much secondhand smoke.

10. childofturin Why?

It's usually the older people (40+) who do that. Sometimes, doctors will even prescribe it.

11. Alphonsefanatic Traverse Town Homebody

Drinking. Why? Drunk Driving kills more than the drinker.
    Smoking may be an addiction that hurts the one doing it, and second-hand can be harmful.

To society, I believe Drinking.

12. walkergirl-_- Moogle Assistant

Look up I'm wherever the stars shine brightest.
    i have to choose smoking as the worst between drinking and smoking. I have personally seen many people in my family suffer from deciding to smoke. Alcohol is bad any way you look at it but it's not addicting and its easier to stop drinking then it is to stop smoking.

13. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

Did you not read what we have gone over. Dear god, we already came to the conclusion that smoking isn't all that addictive.

14. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I've never heard of a Smoker's Anonymous...

15. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

That would be because smoking was once considered very good for you. School children in boarding schools in England were beaten if they didn't smoke. Also, the Conservative *spit* government of the time suppressed research that showed smoking caused cancer just to keep the tax revenue up.

It is also a lot more visible than smoking. The smell, discolouration of fingers and teeth and other visible signs means that it is hard to hide. Why would you need to join an anonymous organisation?

16. Shizzy Gummi Ship Junkie

Smoking. Because Drinking only has short-term effects and Smoking can be permanent.

17. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

Liver Failure says hi.

18. Shizzy Gummi Ship Junkie

What I meant was that smoking is pretty much garunteed to cause harm, but Drinking is a bit less likely to cause seriously harm. I'm not saying drinking is completely safe, just not as dangerous as smoking.

19. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

Drunk driving says hi.

20. Riley103 Traverse Town Homebody

I say smoking because people can get cancer from that and second hand smoke and it is just awful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.