Fandub Dream Drop Distance: Special Trailer - Fandub Production (COMPLETED)

Discussion in 'Community News & Projects' started by Mike, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Mike Chaser

[video=youtube;FMbJHIttNyo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMbJHIttNyo[/video]​

Hello KH-Vids. It's been just about a week since the secret trailer from Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance surfaced. For me, it feels like its been weeks or even months since the trailer released. Spending countless hours and days on the trailer and casting members across the Kingdom Hearts series; the trailer is finally complete and it wasn't easy.

This is the first trailer I had my doubts about. It was a challenge to find members who would voice the Tron Legacy characters. Previous videos/productions recieved at least 50-70 auditions. This particular video only recieved ten. Using the same cast as the previous video, selected roles were available, but I guess not many members were interested. To say the least, the video came out better than I thought and it was completed 100%.

The tenth anniversary for the Kingdom Hearts series is near. This "special" trailer has been dubbed in English by fans across the series. Members such as TheVader74, Newkidaye, Genshie, William Morris, Hlmactiii, Greater_bloo and others (including myself) return. Along with our previous cast, new cast members such as Llave de Espada, StrawhatSoul, Khfan1661 and Roxas2142 have joined us to share their voice talent. Please share your feedback regarding the cast and the team.

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance is set for release on March 29th 2012. No other dates have been confiremd at this time.

Vocal Team
    Ansem (SOD): Voiced by TheVader74
    Axel/Lea: Voiced by Newkidaye
    Blue Fairy: Roxas2142
    Braig: Voiced by StrawhatSoul
    Clu: Voiced by William Morris
    Donald: Voiced by SonicTheVA
    Frollo: Voiced by Ross (PaW)
    Flynn: Voiced by William Morris
    Geppeto: Voiced by StrawhatSoul
    Goofy: Voiced by Newkidaye
    Hugo: Voiced by Newkidaye
    Jiminy Cricket: Voiced by HeroicRoxas
    Joshua: Voiced by Genshie
    Pinocchio: Voiced by Saru4life (Sarurocks4life)
    Mickey: Voiced by Justin Cabanting (ChaserOfTheDawn)
    Minnie: Voiced by Atiragrame3
    Neku: Mike Masiello (CGNET)
    Pete: Voiced by William Morris
    Quasimodo: Voiced by Newkidaye
    Quorra: Voiced by Khfan1661
    Riku: Voiced by Hlmactiii
    Roxas: Voiced by Mike Masiello (CGNET)
    Sam: Mike Masiello (CGNET)
    Sora: Voiced by Llave de Espada
    Vanitas: Voiced by Greater_bloo
    Victor: Voiced by StrawhatSoul
    Xemnas: Voiced by TheVader74
    Yen Sid: Voiced by TheVader74

Production Team
    SFX: Mike Masiello & William Morris
    Audio/Video: Mike Masiello (CGNET)
    Director: Mike (CGNET)
    Translations: KH13

Please Note
    This is a fandub production which was voiced and edited by fans across the Kingdom Hearts series. Music that was featured in this video was composed by Yoko Shimomura. All characters are copyright Square-Enix. The same exact trailer was released by Square-Enix (JP) around Febraury 2012.

Release Dates
    Japan: March 29 2012
    North America: 2012
    Europe: 2012

2. chessplayerjames Destiny Islands Resident

I can't really help with feedback concerning the Tron Legacy characters as I haven't watched it. However, the voices that I liked the most that seemed very close to the respective English actors, were for Sora, Mickey, Axel, and Master Xehanort [at the end].

Also (this doesn't really matter but I'll say it anyway), the song at the end, Unbreakable Chains (when Ventus fights Vanitas in his heart), was composed by Takeharu Ishimoto.

Great fan dub guys :D Next time you do one for Jiminy Cricket I think I'll definitely audition for it.

3. khfan1661

Sweet. The video turned out awesome! :)

4. Tears_into_Roses Merlin's Housekeeper

>.< Oooh, didn't make it.

Oh well! Better luck next time. :)

5. Cloudrunner62 Twilight Town Denizen

Was kinda hoping I'd make the cut for Braig, but I'm not surprised I didn't. Good job guys!

6. StrawhatSoul Merlin's Housekeeper

Wow... I didn't expect to be cast for all three roles I auditioned for, that's quite a surprise! This fandub turned out great and I can't wait to see more once the game is released next month, heck, I think I'll be in some of them for all I know.

7. Maggy Gummi Ship Junkie

May I say that Llave's Sora is sexy? Lol

This video turned out great! My favorite voice I think was Mickey because it was SO DEAD ON. DAMN. Also, I think Pinocchio was pretty spot on as well...and Roxas, of course, haha.

GREAT JOB, EVERYONE!

8. NemesisPrime Hollow Bastion Committee

Same here! I got Braig/Xigbar's speech patterns and accent down to a T but I guess that wasn't enough.

Well good job to everyone who did get casted!

9. phoenixkh93 Gummi Ship Junkie

Amazing! Really well done everybody. Might I add that the Mickey Mouse voice was IMMENSE! Really close impersonation!

10. Glen Returned from the dead

This was amazing. Llave still being a baws as Sora XD I really enjoyed watching this.

11. anime10121 Moogle Assistant

Mickey sounds almost exactly right! Honestly although I'm glad that you guys did it as its awesome to actually watch the trailer with a dub, Mickey was the only standout actor to me and maybe Clu from Tron too. The rest sounded kinda emotionless to me. Please dont take this the wrong way though because yall still did a better job than I ever could.

12. Llave Superless Moderator

Oh golly. That's not even how I sound normally D:
    Thanks lol, you did a spectacular job as well!

A wha- never mind. Thanks hahaa!

Awesome job putting this together Mike! It was a blast and a real treat to see it all finished!

13. Daxa~ #stalker

That was most wonderful my dears.
    Llave sweetheart,you were a superb Sora...I am ever so proud of you <3~
    Thank you Mike for doing this again,and thank you everyone else for letting me hear your beautiful voices.

14. greater_bloo Gummi Ship Junkie

Hmm...I'm a bit mixed with my feelings on this one. Compared to the previous trailer this one didn't seem as great, which is weird seeing as I think the official Japanese version of this trailer was much better than the other one. Regardless there were some nice voices there and I'll critique them now:

Ansem (SOD) voiced by TheVader74: Great! Not quite the same as Richard Epcar or Billy Zane but it's nice and unique in its own way. I think you added a cool factor to him that the official voices couldn't capture.

Axel/Lea voiced by Newkidaye: Very awesome! Your acting is phenomenal!

Blue Fairy voiced by Roxas2142: Hmm...it's a bit too young for me. I believe the Fairy is supposed to be some sort of guidance type character right? That means the line should be said in an advising yet caring type of way like how a grandmother would speak to her grandchild.

Braig voiced by StrawhatSoul: Ah the king of the Arcade! That was a perfect impersonation of Braig! Can't wait to hear more if we do cutscenes next or another trailer comes out!

Clu voiced by William Morris: I can see a hint of a Jeff Bridges voice in there great job! It does sound a bit young however, though I'm sure you can perfect it if you practice with it more!

Donald voiced by SonicTheVA: I think you're like official unofficial Donald lol. He is like the bane of KH fan dubs since most people can't find the right one and have to cancel their project. Almost every Kingdom Hearts fan dub I see credits you as Donald and rightfully so. Just speaking in that voice is unique and hard, but acting in it sounds like something only a few people could do. Great Job!

Frollo voiced by PaW: It sounded great when you were starting the line then you did silent yelling, which is just awkward to anyone who listens. If you're in an environment that requires silence just move to somewhere more suitable for yelling or if it's night time wait until the day to record. I know you can do the voice right based on the last trailer, so just try to avoid more awkward moments like that and you're good to go!

Flynn voiced by William Morris: Again great job doing the Jeff Bridges voice! Just need a bit more practice with it!

Geppeto voiced by StrawhatSoul: Great job! You have a nice range seeing as you voiced 3 different characters of completely different voice types! Definitely a sign of good things to come for you as a voice actor!

Goofy voiced by Newkidaye: Goofy as always! XD Great job! You deserve a coffee break for that performance! (inside joke from KHR commercial #2) GO THERE NOW!:
    [video=youtube;2pM3gHixsIM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pM3gHixsIM[/video]

Hugo voiced by Newkidaye: Again? XD You got so many roles lol. But yeah great job again! Very true to the original voice.

Jiminy Cricket voiced by HeroicRoxas: Sounds a bit nasally though I think that's because you didn't have much to say in this one. You did a good job, it's just there wasn't much to comment about.

Joshua voiced by Genshie: I think you did an awesome job as Joshua here, in the last trailer the lines were not that great translated to English so it messed with my judgement. But here I see why you were picked!

Geeze this is taxing on the mind, I'm gonna take a break and come back later. Heard there was a Nintendo event let's see what they got going over there!~ *Frolics off*
    *Frolics back* That was some good chicken, I mean *ahem* back to critiquing!

Pinocchio voiced by Saru4life: She's back! And still as awesome as ever! Great Job!

Mickey voiced by ChaserOfTheDawn: Perfect! Flawless Mickey!

Minnie voiced by Atiragrame3: Really nice! I would say perfect but it's missing a queen/royalty element to the voice, I may just be nitpicking though. Also since this is probably a different Minnie than in previous games it's probably perfect for this Minnie.

Neku voiced by CGNET: Kinda hard to critique one word lol, but it's pretty good.

Pete voiced by William Morris: Wasn't similar to the original voice but it still fits the character!

Quasimodo voiced by Newkidaye: Great! Really true to the original voice as well! ...I envy your range. @_@

Quorra voiced by Khfan1661: Hmm...it's great, though I think you need to add a little more spunk to it.

Riku voiced by Hlmactiii: Really good! I can't really find any faults. That one scene with Sam needed to be shouted though as if you were trying to talk over the wind.

Roxas voiced by CGNET: Good to hear you as Roxas again! I don't know if it's the music, the scene itself, or the fact that you're playing Roxas again but I got a little teary eye'd for some reason.

Sam voiced by CGNET: Ah I guess you couldn't find anybody to voice him? Not to trying to sound mean but it didn't fit that well. Also I think the lines needed to be shouted as if they are trying to talk over the wind blowing around them because they're flying.

Before I get to the critique of Sora I have to ask what happened to Zekkai? And wasn't I supposed to be the understudy?
    Anyway,
    Sora voiced by Llave de Espada: I'm a bit mixed. You have a voice similar to him and I like that you're a bit higher in tone than Zekkai. However, there were times where you didn't show the emotion needed for some scenes such as the part where Clu was trying to bargain for the Keyblade. Also overall Sora sounded a bit wimpy, I get that he is supposed to sound nice, however the key to voicing Sora is to find a right balance between Nice and Strong. Meaning he has to sound lovable but also someone you can depend on. All you have to do is work on that balance and you'll sound perfect!

Vanitas voiced by greater_bloo: Gah, not synched again! Though I think it's a bit better than the last time. If we ever dub that cutscene again, I think one of us has to do the line first and then send it to the other one and try to synch up the delivery. It also helps with the volume level.

Victor voiced by StrawhatSoul: Very similar to the original! Great Job!

Xemnas voiced by TheVader74: Love it! I had my doubts as to if you could pull off a younger sounding Xehanort since you usually play more mature characters but you completely passed my expectations! This is going to be one of those characters that I'll have a hard time getting used to once the official English version comes out for sure! Looks like my Vanitas has some competition on the dark, teenager type voice! XD

Yen Sid voiced by TheVader74: Great job! You nailed the old man! ...voice...you nailed his voice! XD

Anyway I'm finally done *sigh* that took 3 hours (not counting the break). You have no idea how many times I copied this entire thing just in case Firefox somehow crashed on me but now all I have to do is finish it off. My first impressions were that it wasn't as great as the other trailer and they still stand right now, but I believe everyone did a great job after individually analyzing each voice. I've seen some improvement among some of the returning voices and I see some very talented ones that could easily make a living off voice acting! Hope to work on cutscenes next! Unless that March 3rd event somehow spouts out another trailer then we can work on that one next!

Also Mike I said this on the youtube page itself but I thought I should say it here, you can make the video widescreen by posting yt:stretch=16:9 on the Youtube tags.

15. Misty gimme kiss

I wrote down the ones that really stood out to me, plz do not be offended by my comments or me leaving you out haha. Miles better than I could ever do:
    Sora: Really nice work! Close enough to the real Sora that it doesn't feel unnatural, but still a bit new. I do agree that a line or two fell flat (particularly the one about not giving up the Keyblade), but that was really the only one that bothered me. Everything else was pretty spot on.

Riku: A bit deadpan at times but still, very good. Riku didn't have many lines. :c

Mickey: Absolutely tops. Amazing.

Roxas: Fantastic as always Mike. =]

Yen Sid: made me laugh but in a good way. Definitely hit the whole "scholarly yes B|" thing.

Xigbar: Really great! Even though it was just one line, you really hit it well!

Lea: Excellent as well. c:

Overall, a really great job from all of you!

16. phoenixkh93 Gummi Ship Junkie

Like I said before, amazing :) I was kinda hoping for Xigbar to say his 'drowned your goldfish' bit though like in 358/2. No biggie though :)

17. Mike Chaser

I guess I can't pull off a good Neku and Sam. I'm really trying to do other characters, but I can only do Ven and Roxas. To be honest, I'm not even sure if I can even do them anymore. I feel my voice acting is getting worst. =(

18. Excasr The Forgotten XIII

Really good everyone! I really liked it!
    Awesome work, great and wonderful work for all the fan vocal team. I really enjoyed it!​

19. Maggy Gummi Ship Junkie

Practice, practice, practice! Don't give up, all you gotta do is try to find how large your range is, try changing your voice more, don't be afraid to explore what you can do. Try going low, and then high, as well as practice accents or try to annunciate or articulate words so that you can have the same voice but have a different...uh...what do they call it...projection? (I know there's a word for it) there's also the acting part of it...you have to kind of feel the emotion, the tone, the meaning of the lines and words and overall bring life to a character. I'm pretty sure that's what voice actors tell their fans all the time, and I think it's very helpful advice.

And rememebr, If you don't use it, you lose it! Excercise your voice just like you would with your body...if that makes sense? Lol

I hope that helps...

20. greater_bloo Gummi Ship Junkie

Couldn't have said it better myself Maggy. Where's Hlmactiii I think he could add to that. XD