Dogs Fighting/Dominance Issues

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by Aura, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Aura Goddess

I'm sorry this is so long. adalikfrfbg

Four about four/five years now, I've had a black Labrador Pitbull mix(we're assuming he's part pitbull since he kind of looks like one). When we had gotten him, we already had three other dogs, three chihuahuas. There was never any issues between the three and him because I guess Rex(lab mix's name) already knew he was going to end up being the dominant one since he's the largest. I didn't like him at first because of the fact I had no idea how to train a large dog(he the first we've had in YEARS.) and he was constantly destroying things. Ripping plants out of their roots, tearing apart the water bowl, trying to "fight"(it was more playful fighting) with the chihuahuas. It was really difficult for me to even love him because I have this issue with death, and I had lost a dog a couple years ago I really adored, and she adored me, really suddenly. I guess she had randomly gotten sick, she died, and I was too afraid to deal with the pain of losing another pet.

Now, last year, my brother and his ex girlfriend ended up bringing in a pure Red-Nose Pitbull from someone who apparently was moving and couldn't bring the dog along with them. The dog was only two months old and I automatically got attached to it. I don't know what it was, but I just fell in love with that poor thing. However, I knew I couldn't get so attached the dog wasn't mine, and belonged to my brother and his ex girlfriend. My brother named him Boomer and we kept him here at our house. Now, my brother and his ex had this thing where they would bring in dogs that "belonged" to them but would drop them in my room while they went to his room and made out. That was the case with Boomer and his ex's dog too. I became responsible for feeding, bathing, giving water, taking the dog out to go to the bathroom. I didn't like it but I figured I had no other choice. Because of this, the dog immediately saw me as his mother, and I am still his mother to this day. I am the owner/mother of Boomer, not my brother nor his ex.

After it seemed like the dog would have to stay at our house permanently my mom said she didn't want the dog staying inside, so we had to train Rex to be used to Boomer(who was still a puppy). Rex must have known that Boomer was going to be a large dog so he became very aggressive towards him and whenever we would let him near Boomer while outside, he'd attack him. Eventually, Rex did get used to him and left Boomer outside in the backyard with him.

I guess Boomer thought Rex was his dad or his brother because eventually those two got pretty attached to one another. It was to the point where if I took Rex out for a walk, Boomer would be crying and wailing the entire time. And if I took Boomer out, Rex would crying and probably slam himself against the gate as if a way to get through to Boomer. This wasn't much of a problem, but I'm sure it might have something to be with Separation Anxiety or something.

But anyway, now two days ago, my brother had taken out this stuffed dog that his ex had given him. He didn't want it anymore and I guess he wanted the dogs to tear it apart. The dogs just sniffed it, but then my brother cut a hole in it and shoved food in it. Rex knew what to do and eventually got the food. Later that day, I had gone out to bring in their food and I decided to show Boomer I had some kibbles in my hand and shoved it into that hole. Boomer is trained so he automatically sat down and waited for me to give it to him. I took a kibble out, showed it him and put it back in. He eventually realized he was supposed to get it himself and eventually shoved his nose into the hole and started eating. However, Rex saw this and approached Boomer and started growling at him. Before, Boomer would back off and whine whenever Rex would growl at him over something. Occasionally he would even hide behind me. This time, Boomer did not back off and Rex snapped at him. They ended up actually fighting. Like actual fighting. I had no idea what to do because that was the first time I saw them fight. I yelled for my brothers, one ran out and quickly grabbed a stick, and the dogs separated. Obviously it was over food so we just left the toy alone and expected the dogs to eventually tear it apart.

The next day, yesterday, I had gotten up to feed the dogs and sometimes Boomer would either follow me to the door or just stay wherever he was and just watch me leave. Yesterday he decided to run ahead of me to the door. The stuffed dog was just on the floor and Boomer had walked by it when Rex suddenly charged forward and stood between Boomer and the toy. I quickly knew they'd end up fighting. I grabbed Boomer's collar and smacked Rex on the nose several times to get him to back off. When he wouldn't, I decided I would move between them and push them away from one another. However, as soon as I had let go of Boomer's collar, Boomer snapped and they fought again. I had gotten them by their necks and ripped them apart from one another, but I ended up falling back and letting them go by accident. They attacked again and that's when I grabbed a stick and they broke off. I ended up separating them from each other for about an hour and I had told my brother to throw away the stuffed dog, since this time it was over that. My mom threatened to put them down if they fought one more time.

Today, I had gone out to feed them again and this time, I felt like this tension between those two. Yesterday throughout the day, there really wasn't one but today just felt odd. Rex got near me and I noticed Boomer suddenly get defensive and just watch him. I quickly pushed Boomer away and he followed me. Now, when I was going to come back inside, Boomer had been waiting for me at the door. When I was walking towards it, he came up to me and I just started petting him. I wasn't hearing Rex eating so I turned towards the garage and just said, "What? What's going on?" to him. He came running towards me and came to my opposite side. I started petting him and I noticed Boomer seemed...jealous? I don't know. It looked like he was jealous but also afraid of Rex. So to just make him feel better, I started petting the both of them at once. But then again, I noticed the two staring each other down so I quickly pushed them away and went to the door. Boomer quickly came in front of me and kept looking at Rex then at the door, then back at Rex.

I have no idea what to make of this. I'm afraid they're going to start fighting over me now, and I don't want that. There is no way in hell I'm giving those two up. I'm wondering if it's just out of jealousy or if it's dominance issues? I kind of want to talk to a vet about this, but we have absolutely no money so I can't take them to one. It was even a miracle we were able to get them neutered last year. I know a lot about dogs, but this is the first time owning two large dogs that I can train and I have no idea how to do that without them snapping at each other. I don't even know what to do. First time I even owned a large dog was when I was like 4 or 5. So it wasn't my responsibility and now I don't know what to do.

EDIT: And for the record, Rex has always been aggressive towards other dogs he didn't know. This is the first time he's really fought with one he did know so I'm rather worried about this.

2. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Seriously, consult a professional dog trainer, over the phone or sending an email, they will better be able to understand the behavioural states of dogs then we will.

However, I would say that at least seperating the two if possible, even if it's just behind a small wall in the garden. If the chance of aggression is likely to happen, then you should seperate the problem.

3. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Do not treat the dogs equally or punish the dominant dog.
    Do not remove or punish the dominant dog.
    Reward friendly and peaceful behavior when you see it.

http://www.fairydogparents.biz/id8.html

That article may prove itself of some use. I do not think there is a quick fix to such tension, behavior is a tricky, stubborn thing. You will have to train them to do otherwise via more submissive means, e.g. treating them as a reward when they behave appropriately. Distract before a fight escalates, respect their developing hierarchy.

Did you notice any issues before? I do not know if that article is actually an adequate source, given that they are operating under the assumption that a dog was recently brought into the home, when your dogs had known each other beforehand. I am by no means an expert, so I recommend you consult one as PaW suggested...

4. Aura Goddess

I've contacted a vet, but I've gotten no response back. The two have been behaving rather well so far but whenever I see a sudden aggressive movement from either of them, I separate them.

The article was quite helpful, actually. I guess I kind of know what the problem might be with this sudden tension.

Any issues before with Rex was just that he's always been aggressive towards other dogs. Specifically ones he doesn't know. The only times I've seen him snap at Boomer or my other dog would only be because of food or something, but that's really rare unless Rex is incredibly hungry. Thank you for the article though. It was helpful.