Does Rap count as music?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by 007, May 30, 2009.

?

Does Rap Count as music

1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    28.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chargedcloud Twilight Town Denizen

hahahaha what? is rap music? ofcoarse it is... how is that a question? i listen to all music genres commonly, every genre has alot of terrible songs out there... i live in and urban area so people dont respect other genres based on how its portrayed...
    some will say WTF is this when they here a certain selection of music but never did i here BS like this?? if you dont think rap is music, i would like to see you classify what music is... and name any "musical aspects" il give you a rap song that acheives any!!
    its one thing if you dont like rap but its another if your implying that its not music,
    or maybe some hasnt been exposed to real rap and thats why you have such oppinions of opposing rap

2. Misty gimme kiss

I've never really seen rap as a form of music in the past because I don't enjoy it, though my opinion has changed a bit. I'm not denying that rappers have talent, I'm sure there are some who are amazing poets but it doesn't have the traditional parts of what I consider music; a lot of it just seems like talking/singing with a beat.

On the other hand, just because something isn't traditional doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered music.

So I guess I'm on the fence. I'll say yes because I am a firm believer of "to each one's own" but I've always been turned off because without the vocals it seems like just a beat, at least the rap I've heard.

So like other people have mentioned: Do I like rap? No. Is it still music? Yes.

3. Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ King's Apprentice

I hate rap in all its forms, but that doesn't mean it isn't music. To me, music is music so long as it has some kind of emotional and thought provoking effect on its listener (Excluding hatred of the song), and that is a quality all the Arts require. To a lot of people rap doesn't evoke much, but for others it does. It just depends on who is listening.

4. Hissora ahurhurhur.

That is kinda true, but I still like british more.

Oh and to add to my opinion of rap being music, I listen to alot of like electronic music and sometimes it's not considered music because it's so obscure.

5. SplitOverload Chaser

It's not trash because it talks about sex, money and drugs. It's still music, and it has substance. What the substance is can differ and opinion can be arranged, but even if it's about gold diggers and pimps, that's a type of substance put onto a song.

6. The Fuk? Dead

Anyone who says it isn't, can have their own opinion, but I personally think they should wake up. It's music, it's art, it has rhythem, lyrics, music, I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be.

Music-an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner .

There ya go.

The tones are flat, but there's still because behind it. And it has the poetry aspect but incoperated into song. It's also a cultural thing, most people like the music they like because that's how they grew up and what everyone around them listened to. Anyone who grew up around rap considers it great, so for anyone who doesn't like it and hasn't grown up around it can really be taken seriously. I consider orchestral music beautiful. Do I like it? No. But I understand the work and skill behind it. Just like Rap. Plus, on the instrumental aspect, most sampling is easy, but some of it takes serious talent and work to do. And people act like EVERYTHING is sampled. Most is, but not all. It's also showing respect by saying, that song was so good, it can't be used once.

7. water mage Kingdom Keeper

It depends on how you look at it or if you understand it not the lyrics or such, but if it has some sort of tempo and isn't just noise. Personally if it has a beat or a melody I will like, but if it's just words with no meaning or cussing I wouldn't call it music.

8. childofturin Why?

Of course it counts as music. Me banging on a few pots could be music, if it's rhythmic enough. But is it good music? No, not to me. I find the vast majority of rap to be vapid and mindless. I prefer different styles.

9. Stardust Chaser

Yeah, I'd say it's definitely music. I don't listen to it much myself, but it has a beat and instruments, and sometimes even a melody at certain parts. Is that not all a part of music?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.