Does Rap count as music?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by 007, May 30, 2009.

?

Does Rap Count as music

1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. No

29 vote(s)
    28.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inasuma "pumpkin"

This IS one of those rhetorical questions, right?

Of course it's music.

2. Kites Chaser

^This

is my point exactly.

3. The Twin My, what a strange duet

^ Thank you.

I was gonna say since rap is a form of expression and music is also a form of expression, that makes rap music. One of those if A=B and B=C, A must = C things.

4. Master of the Onyx Flame Hollow Bastion Committee

according to what is defined as music, rap isn't music. it is missing something i think my teacher said it was harmony (not sure though). personaly i don't like rap. and i am not just saying this all because i don't like it. i am pretty sure industrial isn't music for the same reason (yes, i listen to industrial). but i think it is missing something different to keep it from being music.

Now on the other hand it is a type of artistic expression, displayed in the form of music, but that doesn't really make it music, just musical...
    so... no it isn't music.

5. Fracture Sαlαmαndєr ™

Yes, it does, even though i don't listen to it very much and as long as country is isn't counted as music and a form of brain control.......

6. Serbkiller Destiny Islands Resident

It's a form of poetry with addition to beats, beatboxes and more...

7. Cleopatra King's Apprentice

Do I like Rap? Not really.
    Is it music? Damnstraight it is.

It a way people express themselves with a rythym. People have different tastes of music and depending on that, people may think that rap ain't music. Well I got some news for you buddy, it is a type of music, so you can gtfo if you think otherwise >|

8. Ultimecia sorceress

This.

Reasons have already been stated why it is too.

9. HOSPITAL STAT! i knock tits

What I really want to know is why the OP thinks Rap isn't music, when it clearly is.

10. Cloud3514 Kingdom Keeper

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    OK, all of you boneheads who clicked "No" are ordered to leave the internet and do your damn research before coming back.

11. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

Rap is a very clever and potential form of music that is not only creative but very diverse and the possibilities with it are endless. Rap is also a mainstream form of music, so when done correctly it can be used to spread a message to an incredibly wide audience, it's just unfortunate that that message is usually about guns, sex, and drugs.

12. Yukichin Traverse Town Homebody

I personally can't stand rap. I dislike the sounds of the voices (they don't sound musical to me, though there IS music in the background), I dislike the subject matter of what sort of rap I've heard, and, well, I just dislike it. That being said, it is still music.

13. Mathias Jay beauty is in everything

Hm. Rap being music. That's easy to say, yes it is music, but let's go into detail, shall we?

Music, is basically a poem with sounds added to it. Vibrations, blah blah blah and what not into some entertaining art that we cannot seem to live without. Rap, can easily be put under the same category. There are sounds added with lyrics created by the rapper, and even if they are not sung, they are spoken (rapped, whatever) in an artistic form, am I right? Though it may not seem like it's very hard, rapping isn't exactly the easiest thing for some people. Quick-paced speaking while keeping in tempo with a beat that is created from the sounds (music) added with the lyrics, isn't easy. I've tried, and failed.

Anyway, overall, rap is music, even if I don't like it.

14. Sumi suicidé

Same thing I said in post number 3 or summum.​

15. ArchVice Gummi Ship Junkie

Rap is a form of music. Beats + Lyrics = Music. If that's how people want to express themselves, then why make fun and say it isn't?

16. Snow Princess King's Apprentice

hmm... im sure it counts as music, even though its not my thing. XD

17. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

This, and that is pretty much it. Whilst I am not majorly fond of the majority of rap, I do appreciate and acknowledge it as being music.

Besides, some rap can be more expressive and far deeper than a lot of the **** out there.

18. Pezz Kingdom Keeper

I can't stand it, but I think it does.

19. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

I dislike rap, but I still consider it a form of music. Music is such a general term that even beating a drumstick against a trash can counts, or tapping your fingernail against the tabletop. Plus, it's also a little like poetry, and depending on the artist, it can make a statement.

20. Death Heart Destiny Islands Resident

Old rap was good when it meant something. Now it's pretty stupid. "Crack a bottle, let your body waddle; don't act like a snobby model, you just hit the lotto." None the less, it is still a genre of music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.