Does KH2 Need a Remastered Soundtrack?

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by A Zebra, May 22, 2014.

?

Does KH2's Music Need an HD Makeover?

1. YES

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. NO

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. A Zebra Chaser

KH1 got a pretty nice update for KHI.5, but do the later games really need it? KH2's soundfont is a LITTLE dated, but nowhere near as much as KH1's.
    Personally, I'd like to see the remixed tracks, even if they're worse. Having a remix is better than no remix, especialyl if they give the option tp use the original

2. TheGoldenFlash Merlin's Housekeeper

It wouldn't bother me personally, however i don't think that it's needed whatsoever. KH2's soundtrack like you said, is a little dated, yet a remixed soundtrack would be unnecessary IMO.

3. Misty gimme kiss

Well I don't believe either game needs a remastered soundtrack, as they're already pretty great. That said, I enjoyed a lot of the updates in Kingdom Hearts 1.5, so I'd love to see similar treatment to Kingdom Hearts II and Birth by Sleep. The added orchestral elements especially just made the tracks feel a lot fuller and more organic -- which isn't a criticism of the original tracks, I think they're just fine originally, but the PS2's hardware limited them in terms of music.

4. libregkd -

5. A Zebra Chaser

I think KH1 was really let down by the PS2's sound limitations. Comparing the Re:CoM versions of the sings, which are nearly note for note identical, but with significantly higher quality sounds really shows how low impact KH1's music was. KH2 did a lot more to own its sound, like constantly using this sound that sounds like some sort of cross between an accordion and a string ensemble, but the sounds are a bit tinny by modern standards... just nowhere near as dated as KH1

6. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

It's not that they do need it, it's that they can do it. It doesn't need it but I would like it to be remade. Not sure how to even vote on this. I also wouldn't consider it remixes because there is nothing really being added. Just redone. Remix is like some other kinda of melody or rhythm added.

7. A Zebra Chaser

The music in KH1 wasn't a straight port, they added new elements, like the electric guitar in Bustin' Up On the Beach, as well as instrument changes and the like. They're not literally transcriptions of the midis used in KH1
    On the topic of how this poll is meant to work, I'm asking if KH2, which is similarly dated like KH1 should have remixed music, or if people think the quality in KH2 is good enough that it's not really necessary
    It's an argument I've seen a few times, that KH2's music is good enough to just leave alone, so I was wondering how many people felt that way

8. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Yes i know. I personally don't consider it remixes. Also KH1 and 2 both used the same exact format and sound driver when playing music. I think it's just the composition that got better and not the limitations. Some of the instruments were even reused. I'm just being technical though. =P I can 100% guarantee that the cinematic drums wont be changed like "The Encounter" or "A Fight to The Death" because they were already live and prerecorded. (Not by her though, she didn't make them.) So it would be kinda half and half.

9. A Zebra Chaser

KH1 felt limited by the instruments, though, while KH2 used the limitations to its advantage. Smarter use of instruments, for one thing. Yoko also used a fair bit of drum loops for KH2, did she not? Not just The Encounter and A Fight to the Death?

10. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

I don't think it was limitation at all. It was just the first in the series. Figuring things out. and yes she used more loops. I was just give an example.

11. Twero Traverse Town Homebody

Yeah, I agree with mostly of you: I really don't mind if they do the remaster as great as the KH I, but the OST of KH II still pretty good in my hears, and it's not a must-have at all.

12. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

It'd be nice. I feel like there wouldn't be much of a difference. But if they are gonna remaster the soundtrack then please gods don't let them neuter the drums the way they did in EVERY KH track.

13. A Zebra Chaser

In terms of quality, there's huge potential for a difference

vs

14. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Point granted. But if the only way they can be improved is by fundamentally changing the sound, then no thanks.

15. A Zebra Chaser

They could always just use an HD version of the soundfont.
    But I donèt really see the issue with changing the songs fundamentally if it makes them better, it's not like the originals cease to exist
    Besides that, I assume the remastered OST would be done in a way that stays truer to the original than Drammatica

16. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Well in I.5's case, they weren't much better at all. And they may still exist but I may not be able to enjoy the best version of the game with the best version of the soundtrack.

17. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

You are comparing a studio like recording to a live orchestra recording. 2.5 will be studio recorded. It wont be a full orchestra like dramatica.

18. A Zebra Chaser

There's honestly not a huge difference between te sound of an orchestra being used the way it was in that link compared to high quality synthetic sounds

19. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

There is a huge difference with The 13th Anthology medley compared to the in game tracks.

20. A Zebra Chaser

When music is composed to sound like it's orchestral, it sounds that way. The rendition of Happy Holidays! I linked is composed to sound like the game music. It ends up having a certain sterile quality that this rendition doesn't have