Television Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Zexion of the Twilight, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

They're already planning for this year's Christmas special as well as Series 8. The show ain't ending anytime soon.

2. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Series means season, remember? :3

3. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Ohhhh, now I got it..... derp...

Anyway, here's what David Tennant had to say about returning to the show:

Source

4. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I see Oswin gave it a "like" before I did ;D

She loves her Ten-Inch

5. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I can't wait to see the special. I'm usually a couple days late on the new episodes because of work, but I'll make time for this. ^^

6. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

My guess is the series finale will either have something important to do with 50th or it contains spoilers for episodes to come or both. Either way I'm sure it's for a reason.

When I say the "Journey to the centre of the TARDIS" poster I just fell in love with it <3 It reminds me of the film the Labyrinth which I grew up on so it has a great sense of nostalgia about it.

7. Razgriz Thirteen Traverse Town Homebody

8. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Wow... umm, not sure what to think of this. I always hoped that when his name is revealed in Trenzalore, it would be in a way the audience couldn't hear it (eg. Whispering it instead of saying it aloud). I mean, the Doctor's name has been kept a secret for so long, I'm not sure if finally revealing his name is a good thing.

9. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I don't think Moffat would reveal it, I think it's more to do with why it's a secret and perhaps some dark secret from his past. The whole point of the show is he's nameless, he's a mystery and he gets close to companions who get to know his character but little about his past because he keeps it couped up. With every new companion, I'm sure he tries to start afresh- 'I won't hurt this one.' kind of thing and hopefully shoving his past behind him, bottling it up. Of course, in Rings of Akhaten he unleashed it when talking to the Parasite God which shows he's finally coming to terms with it. I honestly don't think his name will ever be revealed because whatever it is it'll be an anticlimax.

Also, River is in this episode- perhaps this is how she finds out his name?

It's like how the episode "The Doctor's wife" and "The Wedding of River Song" (also "Death of the Doctor" in Sarah Jane Adventures) are all misleading titles that are more metaphorical or there to create suspense rather then anything else.

If Moffat does reveal his name then I would be extremely annoyed, I'm sure, as a fanboy himself, he knows not to reveal it.

10. Razgriz Thirteen Traverse Town Homebody

Agreed on all counts, maybe except for how The Doctor is coming to terms with his past. He did what he did to beat the Parasite God, though I doubt he will ever learn to accept everything that has happened.
    The very name of the show hinges on the fact that we don't know his name, it really probably won't happen.

On to Hide now:
    It was nice to see things sort of slow down a bit, go from the big blockbuster type episodes to something a little more intimate; small cast and a focus on the characters. Emma and Prof. Palmer with their parallels to Clara and the Doctor were charming, and overall I liked the way this one was written. Too bad Hila was just there as something for the plot and had barely any development, but I guess that's what happens when you only go by about three seconds on your timeline for most of the show. (Plus the TARDIS - Clara interaction is just absolutely cute)
    About Clara though, so now we know she's not hiding anything, or at least nothing she's conscious of that an empath can read.. Does anyone think that maybe whatever the reason is that she pops up in other parts of space and time is something that will happen to companion Clara on her travels with the Doctor?

11. Midnight Star Master of Physics

I quite liked the new episode, they had a really good atmosphere and the characters were good (though I would've liked to see more of Hila).

Also is it me or is it scarier before they show the enemy? The enemy unseen is scarier than one you can see. I've found that in the last two episodes that it's scarier when they haven't shown the monster yet and less so when they do. Possibly because when you can't see it, it's left to your imagination, also you don't know where it is. On top of that when they do show the monster, despite how good they are made, you know it isn't real but when it's unseen, you don't have that to remind yourself it's not real.

I enjoyed Clara's speech about how everyone must be ants to him, it really made you think. However, I did not like the Doctors answer to her. Just there was the potential to say something really good, I was expecting a 'I have never met someone unimportant' -esque answer. Instead he said that, which only applies to Clara, does that mean he sees everyone else as ants? Also the only mystery worth solving? Really? I think there are others worth solving. The answer kinda puts down everyone else. On top of that it shows he still only views her as a mystery, not as a person.

Following on from that, I did really like how Clara was an ordinary girl, not some strange whatever. He needs to value her as a person, instead of a mystery to solve and I like this was opposing that and reminding him. 'Is that not enough?' It should be more than enough but the look on his face makes me think he still doesn't understand that. I think Clara realises that too and she just wants some recognition from him.

I think I'm liking Clara more as it goes on, I liked how she didn't immediately follow him when he went off to find the ghost. Then he turned around, so unused to that, expecting his companion to follow him towards danger wherever he goes, the thought not even crossing his mind that they might not want to. She gets scared but she just wants to prove herself. Also how she didn't wander off when he told her to, she's a bit different to previous companions.

12. Razgriz Thirteen Traverse Town Homebody

This is why I think Doctor Who can't always pull off successful horror stories, unless the monsters themselves have enough impact to haunt you long after such as the Vashta Nerada, Silence and of course the Weeping Angels, since they feed off of basic primal fears (shadows, forgetting and looking behind you/blinking respectively. If there's any exception to that, it would be the episode Midnight, since we never did find out the truth about the monster there.

I'm not sure, but I think his answer had a double meaning? Maybe he meant it about Clara just as much as he meant it to be about humanity as a whole. You know, how they adapt and evolve, how they practically go out and colonize the universe- that human spirit that must still be a mystery even after over a thousand years of dealing with humans.

13. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Yeah, I got a similar feel. He's not a human but he spends a lot of time with the humans as they are the "great survivors" and a species that he is very close to but what is it that is so great about them? Why are they able to survive when so many other races die.

On Hide, I don't really have much to add except that it was very enjoyable and I can't wait for next weeks.

14. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Well, how many times has he helped to avert the destruction of humanity? He probably does think very highly of us, but at the same time he's very biased on the matter. He's helped people deal with the Daleks, Silurians, Ice Warriors, Cybermen, Weeping Angels, Silence, Racnoss, etc.
    Still, I thought it was a pretty good episode overall, though there were some finer points that could've been improved.
    The love story twist was good and bad in my opinion. Good in the fact that I didn't expect it and I personally enjoy a happy ending for complicated lovers and their relatives (see Amy and Rory and River Song), but bad in the fact that the monster love seemed to be thrown in there for no particular reason. It was clever how there was a monster there already, but it was a bit absurd to have them separated between universes (then again, Rose and Ten).

I do agree with Midny in that the scare wasn't very scary in the end, but the monsters made up for that (before the love story anyway) in the meantime, and while I do feel like there haven't been many properly scary entities in recent episodes, Doctor Who does have the capacity to make really terrifying monsters (or maybe that's just Moffat; after all both the Silence and the Weeping Angels follow a sort of formula).
    Journey to the Center of the TARDIS looks great and I can't wait for the last three episodes of this season. <3
    Except for The Name of the Doctor, which I am very skeptical about as of now...

15. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I really enjoyed yesterday's episode. Though, I'm noticing how many of you are saying it wasn't that scary, so I'll be honest...

Doctor Who never scares me. I've seen episodes with the Weeping Angels, Silence, Vashta Nerada, etc., and frankly, none really frighten me. I keep hearing Moffat trying to say "Oh, lets make (insert random monster) scary!", yet I never end up being scared. The ONLY time I can truthfully say that the show (and Moffat) actually scared me was with the Empty Child. Now that freaked me out and gave me nightmares where I kept hearing the words "Are you my mummy?" But other than that, meh.

16. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I'm the same, it does scare some people but it's never scared me. When I was younger (like 14) and watched the small part of Age of steel where all these people are getting converted into Cybermen then that freaked me out but didn't scare me. I don't really watch it to be scary and I never rate it on a scare scale but I do think it's an important part of the show. It's what a lot of people remember when watching the show as a child- "I was hiding behind the sofa" etc. so I value their attempts but it'll take a lot to scare me.

17. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I understand, but I guess my issue is that all they seem to be talking about in interviews is "trying to make it scary." I get that there are lots of people who want to be frightened, and that's fine. But there are also some, like me, who couldn't care less whether or not the show is scary. I'm not against trying to make things scary, but just don't make it the #1 focus is all I'm saying.

18. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I don't know about you all, but that last episode had me checking over my back. It wasn't so much fear as it was, "Wtf is really going on?"

That pic of the "ghost" was quite frightening. But once it came to light, as it always does, that there was a scientific explanation for the anomaly I was pretty chill.

I gotta say, I loved the episode. Normally, Doctor Who and scary don't seem to go together, but I liked it. Seeing The Doctor frightened was also an uncommon occurrence.

19. Sara Tea Drinker

I never admittedly watched Dr. Who, but having heard so many good things about it, I'm planning on getting at least the latest series of it. I especially like the Time Lord Concept, I think that's what it's called. It sounds like a fascinating series.

20. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Oh, I would definitely recommend it and I really hope you enjoy it. Yeah, the concept is quite fairytale and I've always found it a lovely thought.