Death Note The Musical

Discussion in 'Music' started by Calxiyn, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

This musical has over 22 songs which is unsurprising considering Frank Wildhorn is best known for Jekyll and Hyde which stands at a solid 29 (around that anyway) songs. They're all listed on the Wikipedia as the musical has already premiered in Japan and is now also doing a run in Korea we have a good long list of what the musical will look like. There was a workshop where some demos were recorded, and I'm going to post some of the demos I found down below:

This definitely has a Jekyll and Hyde field and they incorporate a LOT of the music from the anime if you listen to the chords and stuff.

2 WHERE IS JUSTICE:

3 ONLY HUMAN:

5 HURRICANE:

6 KIRA:

13 STALEMATE:

14 I'LL ONLY LOVE YOU MORE: (This is a cover of the song, the coverartist as a link to the original english in the Bio but unfortunately it seems to have been taken down) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXjpt359vc

17 HONOR BOUND: https://youtu.be/8aCWMmXFKKU

18 PLAYING HIS GAME: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Xg_vGfKl8

20 WHEN LOVE COMES: https://youtu.be/HYSJUoBI8C0

That's it from now. We only have those 10 songs! If you guys find anymore, since videos were taken down from the playlist I was looking at let me know so I can edit the OP. My personal opinion is that this is perfect - it uses the original Death Note score while Frank Wildhorn uses his own style. Jekyll and Hyde wasn't really popular but it's one of my favorite musicals and I can't see anyone else doing the music for this - it's just so fitting for him to be doing the music. Also to have freakin Jeremy Jordan in your musical, like GEEZ you must have done something right. Also I'm not sure of the original actress for Misa, but you do hear her in Stalemate and her voice is INTENSE.

2. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

Jeremy ****ing Jordan was in this?!

I am genuinely shocked. I expected to open this thread and laugh my ass off honestly.

But after listening to a few of the songs, I am honestly blown away. Also Jeremy Jordan could sing the ****ing phonebook and I'd listen but still. This is actually kinda good.

3. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

Not was, is. I mean maybe lol. Sometimes the actors from workshops change but if it's coming to Broadway soon like the writers have been saying, they have to have their cast ready XD. But yeah I was looking for a female cover of the OP, and a female cover of Hurricane popped up instead. I thought it was a fan musical but then I found the demos and FRANK and like, I LOVE Jekyll and Hyde so today is a day

4. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

I *highly* doubt that Jeremy will still be doing this. He's currently a season regular for Supergirl, which shoots in Vancouver, and that's quite a long way away from New York lol

5. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

I MEAN it's not *that* far. But yeah I guess he can't do both lol. I wonder who else they'd get to play him? I like the guy who played J.D in Heathers but I don't know if he's still around

6. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

[​IMG]

I have no clue, but I just hope they fit the part well.

I actually heard the guy that plays JD in Heathers and he would probably be good, but I don't know too much about the acting/musical scene

7. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

From my knowledge of what's going on, Jordon only played Light for the English demo tracks. I think the casts for the workshop and the demos are entirely different casts except for the woman who plays Misa.

I wasn't too taken aback when I heard it was a musical; something about the intensity of the manga and source material lent itself to theater. Watching some clips shows how a lot of what makes it work is an eye for direction (Playing His Game is a great example of this). I even love how they choose to conclude the story. I feel that the Korean tracks/music videos are really strong because they go up another level of intensity.

I really love When Love Comes, Rem's ballad because it really fitted her character and it's filled with so much emotion.

I'm not sure if it's easy to find now, but there exists a version of Hurricane as performed by Adam Pascal (Rent's original Roger) and it's pretty rocking.

8. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

At least MISA'S staying lol. Her voice is amazing imo. I'm sad about Rem though because listening to her in the Humans song, she has such an interesting voice. Even for the voices that were chosen to play Misa and Rem it screams Jekyll and Hyde to me, I think Frank likes voices like that if you get what I mean about their voices lol.

I also like how they're not making anyone "look" like the original characters. Like in the Japanese Live Action movies they always put L in a ridiculous wig. This is a poster from the Korean version (the newest version)

[​IMG]

I like how they have the colour contrast here because in the anime, red and blue were a huge contrast. Black and white is a bit more "basic" I guess, but it also lends itself nicely here. I also like that they changed L's hair colour to make it blonde since it's a "lighter" colour and fits in with the white theme, and how they didn't force him into an L wig. I don't know how it'll look when it comes to Broadway but I'm holding out for no L wigs XD. Also having some blue tips for L, I 100% approve of.

9. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

I don't *think* this is piracy because none of the Demos are for sale (they're just being released by Frank one by one lol), but I found the full set of demos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Y2bTG9lWYTsy6HnKC6r6pCih5Dea6nDi THE GIRL WHO PLAYS MISA IS KILLING IT SO I'M SO HAPPY TO HEAR HER LOL. I haven't listened to all of it but I just wanted y'all to know

10. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I gotta say, I really like a lot of the demos. It kind of stinks that that we don't get any of the reprisals. One of my favorite moments is the act one finale reprisal of Where is the Justice where it's a back and forth between Light and L.

And listening to the English lyrics, I can't help but feel there's some new dimension added to Misa's character. It doesn't alter her character too much, but it's either how Warren performs the songs and the lyrics themselves that bring something new to the table. It makes sense why the final image on stage is the way it is.

On a side note, I find it interesting how similar the music associated with L is between adaptations. Something about The Game Begins reminds me of L's theme from the anime. If you've also seen the Netflix adaptation (which I personally enjoy, but I only bring it up as reference), when they first introduce L, they use a very similar techno-centric sound and rhythm.

11. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

Yeah the lack of reprisals, not that it BOTHERS me, but like, it kinda makes it feel like something is missing. But that's more of a reason why I hope this gets made into a musical, so we can really get the full experience. I really like what they've given Misa and her voice is just SO powerful. It doesn't alter but enhance, I totally agree lol. Plus I feel like her connection with Rem is more "focused" if that makes sense, like before Rem was kinda an accessory to her almost? If that makes sense. But now they seem to actually have a serious talk.

As for the music, they're definition using some of the chords and stuff from the original show, I can hear it but I think I would have to watch the show again to point out exactly what parts and what chords etc. It just "feels" like Death Note.

12. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

So as I was doing more Death Note research (as you do) and I found what I think, anyway, is an interesting timeline of events?

So the Bonnie and Clyde musical opened in 2012 on Broadway before shutting down after 4 weeks. This isn’t too weird in terms of Frank Wildhorn cause he has a strange reputation of critics hating everything while fans like it (it seems like there’s a bit of a cult around the Bonnie and Clyde musical, the entire thing is on YouTube)

This musical also stared Jeremy Jordan and Laura Osnes (Michael Lanning was also there)

Anyway, the reason why I’m bringing this up is because I honestly can’t believe after a questionably successful 4 week show, Jeremy Jordan, Laura Osnes and Michael Lanning were like “oh sure I’ll do the demo for another weird ass show of yours Frank”. (But I’m sure they were fine doing it and like Frank very much, I’m just saying I can’t imagine saying yes to that)

And Frank seems to have a relationship with Japanese / Korean theatre companies, because despite Bonnie and Clyde being a bit of a total fail, it ran for 2-3 months longer in Japan and Korea. Maybe this is where Death Note being on in Japan and Korea, and not in America yet partly comes from.

And as a sort of side note - Does Jeremy Jordan just enjoy playing psychopaths? Like obviously Jamie from the Last 5 Years can be debated, but between that, Clyde and Light I’m wondering if he’s getting or is gonna get type casted.

Just because in addition to doing Frank’s weird **** and Jamie, Jeremy Jordan played another slightly unhinged character in the Tangled Television show. The Tangled Television show. (He plays Varian in case anyone else who is also an adult watches this show)

Make of this what you will, I just think it’s an interesting timeline for what we have now