Film Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by parabola, Jul 28, 2014.

1. parabola Destiny Islands Resident

I know it's been out for a while, but I still love that trailer.

So, I love the original Planet of the Apes. I watched all 5 original movies, the terrible remake, and then Rise, which was flawed but ultimately very emotional in a way few movies have been for me as of late. Dawn, however, was in another league. Just breathtaking in its pacing and intensity, especially in the last hour of the film. It's the best film in the franchise other than the original (and by a pretty wide margin at that), and the best movie I've seen this year.

Thoughts? Mini-reviews?

2. 61 No. B

I've seen the original and Rise. I love Rise. I really, really want to see Dawn but will have to wait till it's out. I've heard that it's really good and that makes me very happy. I think this franchise has the potential to go on for a long time and I hope it does.

3. The Fuk? Dead

I think if it had a better human protagonist, it would be better than the original. The lead character wasn't bad, but I felt like he held back an otherwise great film. I think it was the second best Apes movie, and I really appreciated the fact that they didn't make it a "Humans are evil, nobody else is" type of movie. In fact, it seemed like even the most morally questionable human main character, Gary Oldman's character, was simply trying to keep his people alive and out of some barbaric state of choas.

4. parabola Destiny Islands Resident

I agree, I think the choice to make it so that
    Koba started the war, in addition to the whole political coup subplot
    was really smart and believable. The human characters were definitely not quite as expertly written and acted as the apes, but at least this time Caesar was front-and-center for most of the movie, while Rise had James Franco hamming it up for half the movie.