Television Daredevil

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Meilin Lee, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Patman Bof

I just googled Jessica Jones: a former super hero defeated by life. Sounds gritty alright. Looks like they' ll take turn not to step on each other, good.
    I knew Steven S. DeKnight from his work on Buffy and Angel, this isn' t his first time working on tied shows.

2. Hiro ✩ Guardian

This Electra looks a lot more ethnically correct compared to Jennifer Garner's (she nailed the role pretty well in the older Daredevil and Electra movies imo but I was like 11 when I saw them so my standards have changed). Was Electra always a person of color or not? I can't recall xD

3. Misty gimme kiss

I just finished Daredevil! I guess I'll post all my spoiler-worthy thoughts below (they're not that bad), but generally speaking, I'm really pleased to have finally found something Marvel that I can get into. I've no doubt that it's because this is a TV show rather than a movie (lol what is a comic book?*), which leaves room for more complicated plots (though S1 of Daredevil's was fairly simple) and exploration of characters. It's also notably darker and more mature than Marvel films, which is obviously because it's a Netflix exclusive -- the theatrical movies have to be appealing to children, which is fine and I do like kids' movies, but Marvel's humor has never really done it for me.

Do note that I'm not at all familiar with the comics or the past adaptation (adaptations?). I pretty much went into this blind (heh).
    First off, I absolutely love Foggy. He was the necessary comic relief in the show in a non-intrusive or ridiculous manner. Part of my problem in getting into superhero stuff is that it requires the viewer to just kinda... let go and accept that a person is running around in a tight costume fighting baddies. That was mitigated by Matt going around in fairly regular clothes until the very end, but I appreciated Foggy doing the whole "what the ****, this is so weird Matt, where the hell did you get all these weird clothes, what are you doing with your life" when he first found out. I fell in love with him in the episodes with Elena too, his date with Karen just before the explosions was so sweet (I refuse to believe he will get back with Marcie, him and Karen have got it way too bad for each other).

Charlie Cox was great too, I was worried about taking him seriously briefly because he had a very minor role on Downton Abbey and Downton has become a pretty hammy show (though he was in the excellent first season). I loved Rosario Dawson (as an actress and a character), too, but I wish she were in it more. It felt as though they were setting her up to be pretty big and then she kinda disappeared midway through. I hope she'll come back. I thought Fisk was a fantastic villain; in line with the rest of the show, he's really not like... a classic baddie. He's sort of shy and nervous and I loved to see him exposed as ruthless. It was a really interesting mix of character traits. I liked Vanessa too, I hope she will take over some of Fisk's operations, because I think she probably has a pretty dark past behind her -- someone doesn't just meet a crime lord and become totally okay with what that person is doing without having some shady dealings in their own past.

I like that the show really was concerned with Matt's morality, too. It's more introspective than I expected for Marvel and I'm all for that. They didn't take it too far or get too deep into it but I hope they will in future seasons; now that Matt has taken down Fisk, he's achieved his goal in a way, but that obviously doesn't mean he's going to just go back to being a regular old attorney. It's interesting to see what a hold the vigilante thing has on him and how deep he'll get into it, how he'll deal with other people knowing (Claire, Foggy, and Karen will probably figure it out at some point too, if she doesn't already suspect it).

Finally I've got to say that the show is damn beautiful. Incredibly well shot and the opening sequence is gorgeous.
    * = I do read comics, but I haven't gotten into any Marvel ones, and frankly I spend enough money on the habit as is.

4. Patman Bof

Apparently she' s already confirmed for season 2. And you might see her in the other Netflix Marvel shows as well :

As far as I know she' s just of Greek descent. The name says it all. So she might be olive skinned, but not Asian.

5. Misty gimme kiss

Yeah, given the way she and Matt left off, I don't doubt she'll be back -- and she's one of the major characters that exist to question Matt's morality and whether he's fighting crime, at least in part, for himself. Now that he knows I guess Foggy can do so, but not in the same way that Claire does.
    I'm not totally familiar with what else Netflix and Marvel are doing together (read: know nothing about). Given how much I enjoyed Daredevil I'm sure I'll at least give it a try, especially if Rosario Dawson is involved, but if they're planning to eventually bring all the Netflix-Marvel shows together, it might get confusing if Rosario Dawson is playing two different characters...?

6. Patman Bof

She' s not playing two characters, they merged two comic books characters to make hers.
    One being Luke Cage' s love interest, so there' s little doubt she' ll pop up in his show.

7. Misty gimme kiss

Oh I see! I assumed Claire was a character in the Daredevil comics and Night Nurse was something separate. Like I said, I'm really not familiar with any Marvel comics. That's awesome. And this will be in Jessica Jones? I've been cautiously interested in that too. I know Melissa Rosenberg is at the helm for it, she was involved with the Twilight films (and their quality is probably reflective of the source material more so than her abilities), but I understand she was instrumental in Dexter which is obviously very popular. Looking around, there are some good names attached to Jessica Jones, too, like David Tennant and Carrie Anne-Moss -- and of course Krysten Ritter, who I am very in love with. It'll be nice to add Rosario Dawson to that list. Or is Luke Cage a separate thing? I'm seeing him listed as a character in Jessica Jones but I'm not sure now.

Like I said, no idea what's going on with Marvel.

8. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Luke Cage is going to be a separate show, but the character's first appearance will be in Jessica Jones (he's her husband).

9. Misty gimme kiss

Oh man, a husband/wife superhero combo? Sign me the **** up.

Maybe I'm just more open to television as opposed to movies (or, more accurately, binging things on Netflix)? Or perhaps I'm just more interested in the characters Netflix is choosing to feature compared to the ones in the Marvel movies right now. Either way I'm excited to finally have something Marvel I'm into.

10. Patman Bof

I' m almost as blind as you, I just googled it up a bit. Jessica Jones looks interesting on paper to me, especially if the actors you just named are involved. But that' s what makes it more exciting to me, aside from the more adult oriented approach allowed on Netflix: I know next to nothing about these guys so I' m surprised at every turn.

See, I didn' t even know that. xD

11. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

The thing I love the most about daredevil, is that it come as a breeze because Marvel movies all feel like "the same", I was fine with Stark as a comedian, but everybody is doing jokes non stop, when characters that really need the comedy show up (Spider man, fights his "fears" with comedy, is just like the night "protects batman" in a way), if everybody is funny no one is "funny".
    I really hope is only because they are in a "bro/comrade scenario", and that in solo movies they get more serious like in Winter Soldier...
    At the same time I applaud Marvel for not thinking that every super hero movie needs to be a clone of "The dark knight", Superman needs a more colorful movie in the future when he is a full fledged superhero.
    ----
    Back to Daredevil! I really loved how the series was not only about Daredevil, but Fisk as well. And how Fisk "crafted" part of Daredevil (the uniform was the final touch that linked them both). I hope that the Punisher acting as a villain (he is one in my book) , will work in the same way.. Matt will learn from him, than will overcome him.
    Other cool thing is that even though its the more down to earth entry on the MCU it is also the one that introduced magic (as Thor nowdays is only "alien science"), I can see the defenders working with Dr. Strange and spider man as well.

12. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Scott Glenn reprising his role as Stick for Season 2 in three episodes.

13. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Here's a neat looking concept art poster, showing Murdock in his new outfit, standing on the Punisher skull:

[​IMG]

It'll be given out to fans attending New York Comic-Con tomorrow.

14. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

And here's the first Season 2 trailer (though it mostly just recaps stuff from Season 1, the Season 2 stuff at the end looks great. And, we get our first look at Elektra and Punisher!):

15. Ghost King's Apprentice

Daredevil season 3 Confirmed along with some stuff about the other netflix shows. I'm so excited for everything >< (especially Iron Fist). Also, a trailer for a completey new marvel show might be announced tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016