Traditional Art Critiques Please?

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by -Xero-, Nov 26, 2013.

1. -Xero- Twilight Town Denizen

I've been drawing pretty much all my life and although I do always get complements about how "amazing" I draw, I feel like I need someone to tell me what I've done wrong or something I could do differently so I can improve. I feel stuck at the current level I am at now and I would really like to improve even more. However it's a bit hard to do that when people always just complement you. I'm not saying its a bad thing that I get complements, I just want someone to actually give me an honest critique and tell me what I can do better and such.

So here are a few pieces I've done that are done digitally and in pencil. PLEASE give me an HONEST critique about them and give me some tips on what I can do to improve later on!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

Okay, I'm actually not gonna give a full critique of your work, because that's not the problem you have. You're not technically perfect and you could stand to get better, but trying to improve and refine what you've got here isn't what you need to do to grow as an artist. To be honest, that's what it sounds like you're actually asking for someone to help you improve as an artist.

Your designs are pretty much the same as every other kid on the internet who thinks he has good ideas and your art looks like a well practiced novice. What you need to do is get out of this fluffy comfort zone you've built for yourself and experiment. You need to draw something different from what you are used to. Probably different from what you want to. Because working outside your comfort zone is how you change yourself in the end. I see that you don't draw backgrounds. Go draw cars and streets and trees and houses. You don't have to use reference, in fact, it's probably better that you try your hand at designing these things too. It should affect your understanding of your other art and improve your ability to create. Don't want to draw inanimate objects? Ever tried drawing in a different style? That's another thing you could try. You could imitate or emulate a style you think is different from yours or you could try to come up with a new style entirely. The main point remains, you've got to try new things and don't be afraid to get a little messy. Your art should look awful to you sometimes.

Anyhow, if you don't like the advice and still want a piece by piece critique, something I think you'd benefit little from, I'm still willing to oblige.