Creeper

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Ghost, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

Metroman voice: AND WE LOVE YOU BIU

2. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Okay but seriously can we talk about how underrated that movie is?? It's seriously great and idk why so many people hate on it. Like I know that it came out around the same time as Despicable Me and it was outshone by it at the time, but between the two movies, I think Megamind aged so much better and I still watch it all the time whereas the thought of Despicable Me only brings to mind crappy facebook Minion memes, and no desire to rewatch it.

3. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Wait, people hate on Megamind? That movie is so good! Who are these people with their bad opinions?

4. Ghost King's Apprentice

5. burnitup Still the Best 1973

6. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Well, Dreamworks itself, for one lol. From Wikipedia: In April 2011, DreamWorks Animation's CEO, Jeffrey Katzenberg, commented that the studio did not have plans to produce future movie genre parodies like Shark Tale, Monsters vs. Aliens, and Megamind, saying that these films "all shared an approach and tone and idea of parody, and did not travel well internationally. We don't have anything like that coming on our schedule now."

Meanwhile, even though it performed pretty well in the box office and received generally positive reviews from general audiences, it was largely criticized as being 'unoriginal,' with critics saying things like "it regurgitates plot points from earlier animated efforts, and isn't quite as funny as it should be," "This set-up is bright and amusing, even if it does feel recycled from bits and pieces of such recent animated landmarks as The Incredibles with its superpowers and Despicable Me with its villain," "What this raucous 3D animated fun house lacks in originality (think ******* child of The Incredibles and Despicable Me) it makes up for in visual and vocal wit," "You have seen all this before," "Though enlivened by some moderately clever twists on the superhero-movie template, Megamind never shakes off a feeling of been-there-spoofed-that," and "Do we really need Megamind when Despicable Me is around?"

So basically, the general feeling for Megamind was that it was little more than a moderately funny parody, instead of a clever movie that subverted tropes and actually had a pretty good, relatable message.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  7. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Wow, why are critics always wrong?

8. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Right though? It's because people weren't giving the actual storyline and message as much thought as they should have been. They just saw "it has super powers" and immediately were like "pft so does Incredibles" and then they saw "the villain turns good" and were like "pft like in Despicable Me?" They didn't seem to get that the ingredients weren't the point, and that it was an entirely different movie than the aforementioned films because the story was different. The Incredibles was about a man learning to put the well being of his family and the safety of humanity before his sense of pride and ego, with a strong emphasis on trust, shared responsibilities, and self-acceptance. Despicable Me was about a man learning that happiness isn't found by reaching the top of your profession and being the best in your field of work, but in love and family, and that striving for such things left him feeling far more fulfilled and at peace than any grand or newsworthy triumph could ever have done. And Megamind was about a man learning that no matter what life handed you, what struggles you faced, or how many times you've fallen, it doesn't define you. That 'destiny is not the path given to us, but the path we choose for ourselves.' They're nothing like each other! tbh Megamind has more in common with Meet the Robinsons than it does with Despicable Me lol. But no, people saw the 'bad guy turns good' element and wrote it off as a parody, and it just isn't fair to the film.

Also Hal is the biggest 'Nice Guy' on the planet lol and such a character was juuuust a few years ahead of its time, so the people rating movies in 2010 didn't seem to quite get how well the film would age with the target audience. XD But yeah no Megamind was WAY more than just a spoof or a parody, it was a trope-subversion with a refreshing message...
    Untitled.png

9. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Such a good movie. And critics still do stuff like this.

10. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

Megamind is such a good movie and I will keep saying so until my grave

11. burnitup Still the Best 1973

It is a terrible shame it didn't do well enough to warrant a sequel.

12. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

I agree, but at the same time, a sequel might have ruined it, so a part of me is glad none got made. We don't want a repeat of Ralph Breaks the Internet. XD

That's about the same way I feel about TWEWY at this point. I'm still dying for a sequel, but I'm terrified of what one might look like XD

13. burnitup Still the Best 1973

True... Some movies just don't need a sequel. Like, say, Zoolander.

14. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

True. It could have become a Despicable Me. The first one? Very good! I liked it. And then they became MINIONS and also Gru and kids in the marketing and plot of the second. And now it's just mindless.

But in those quiet moments in the night, I imagine a Megamind sequel. And it's like the Incredibles. Good plot. Fast paced action. Heartfelt moments. Everything you loved about the first one, but built upon.

15. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Man, Incredibles 2 was... just a thing. Like, it wasn't bad but it was nothing great.

16. Ghost King's Apprentice

17. burnitup Still the Best 1973

18. Ghost King's Apprentice

19. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Reaper Creeper...

Before we get in much deeper......

If you're there alright...

GO TO WHITE!
    [​IMG]

20. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee