Creationists beginning to get foothold in European schools

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mirai, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirai King's Apprentice

Linkage

Why can't these guys figure out that Creation is part of RELIGION, not SCIENCE!? If the evangelicals get to talk about how God made the Earth in 6 days, then the Scientologists should get to talk about Prince Xenu rides around the galaxy in a space ship.

Religion should be discussed in history and religion classes, not biology.

Ready... Set...

DEBATE!

2. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

There really shouldn't be anything to debate. What better context to discuss creationism than in a religion class. it's a waste of space in the curriculum if you're going to be learning the same thing twice.

3. Repliku Chaser

What's sad is the cure to this is a World Religions class in High School where then people can learn about the religions of the world, their beliefs and all and well, Creationism belongs there. It does not, nor has ever, belonged in a Science class where the teachings is about what we have actually -learned- so far. The only reason that religious people won't go for a World Religions class and why kids have to wait till college for it is because every religion thinks it is the ONLY one that is RIGHT and it would be sacrilege to teach kids anything other than what mommy or daddy or the preacher wants the kids to learn. Sadly, World Religions classes would also teach tolerance and acceptance of others and give kids the chance to express their religious feelings without badgering and condemning others to hell all the time. But ah well.

I just hope since Europe has more Atheists and Agnostics that these Evangelical sorts do not win ultimately and the others fight to keep this stuff out. The world is changing and it'd be nice if Evangelicals would keep up with the times instead of making our populations more stupid because they refuse to be educated in sciences and histories due to religion. Religion shouldn't be an excuse to make people dumber or left behind. It should be something that uplifts a person. People can make up their own minds and should know each side of the coin but it does NOT belong to be forced taught in classes that have nothing to do with religion.

4. Inasuma "pumpkin"

I agree with you, mirai. But I guess it all has to do with the fact gov't wants to preserve it's religion. Seems like it's all it has left to be able to use as a socially controlling device. >:

And as for creationism in classes... very doubtful. While I'm not in EU, I know that over here in the states my teacher didn't teach us creationism in bio and advanced bio because there's... well... no way to justify it LOL.

5. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

We have RE/RS (Religious Education/Religious Studies) and we have the sciences. They are separate for a reason. Forcing creationism and Intelligent Design on school children is as bad as the supposed forcing of well founded scientific theories accepted by the majority of (if not all) scientists worldwide.

I think it was in England where some teachers are too afraid to teach all of evolution as many of the children in their classes are so brainwashed they heckle their teachers. Truly disgusting.

Lol I can see this quickly descending into a Evolution vs Creationism debate xD

6. hangthesilver Destiny Islands Resident

Keke. It's a possibility for that debate I suppose.

For my matter, I honestly don't care what you believe in..just don't shove it on me, or force me to listen to it. I suppose the same could be said of anyone from any religion (don't force science don't my throat, etc.), but in this case, there are far too many religions to be taught that one is superior. if you pesent them, present them side by side with others.

High schools could so definitely benefit from World Religions classes. I didn't take my first one til college and MAN. There's a whole world out there. I felt so protected and sheltered and ignorantafter I took that class.

Religion has its place and should be respected, but mixing in the affairs of education, where kids that age can be so easily impressionable, isn't it.

I guess around here in the USA some people were trying to get daily prayer back into public schools. My mother sent me the link and I'm just like... I sprang from your womb? How are we related again? >.<

7. Repliku Chaser

Yeah, that's how I feel too. I studied religions on my own around the age of 12+ but it was really intriguing to take the classes of World Religions in college. We even had representatives from each religion that were able to speak and teach the religious stuff to us how they learn instead of just the way it is presented in the text books and it really clarified some things. I think High School students really could benefit from it but college is a different realm than High School and not as controlled by zealot votes. It's sad such an easy solution probably won't be accepted in quite a few places because teaching religions side by side in a class for tolerance, understanding and broadening minds is frowned upon. Religion is really taking a strangle hold on societies and the evangelical movement to me seems the worst. They are the most pro-active and I'm kind of sick of hearing in politics too, how their -vote matters- as if they are a national body. Please Europe, don't let these people do what they are doing here to your places. It's spreading more dumb. I hate to be biased but anymore evangelicals seem to be our zealot worst thing to happen while other groups of Christianity are more tolerant and accepting. I feel the U.S.'s IQ rating drop another 10 points every time I have to see these people get in the news big as if they are supposed to matter more than others. It's sad the disease now spreads outward to other countries. Sorry, those across the pond! We just couldn't hold them down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.