Could magic be real?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by awsomonium, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirai King's Apprentice

Well, it's a myth that humans use 5-10% of their brains. We use all of it, though we do make new axon(?) connection every time we learn something. And I really wouldn't that idea "magic." Perhaps "aether? (the air of the upper world in Ancient Greek mythology)"

Telepathy? Nah. At least, not right now. And most likely it's not evolutionary possible. However, we know that we can control computers with our minds using computer chips in our brains, so why not up the anti and place a chip in two people and see if they can communicate.

Telekinesis? A lot more fare-fetched. I honestly can't think of any evolutionary or artificial method to achieve it. It appears, while telepathy may be at our fingertips, I feel telekinesis is for our children's children's children.

2. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

Psychics? I don't know, I'm kind of on the fence. In my opinion, the reason they're so successful and seem so real is that the people who attend psychic sessions and such want to believe its real, so they'll believe next to anything the psychic says and not doubt him/her.

And that guy's post was spam. He called himself a wizard and made a sexual reference >_>...

3. DewDragon32 Moogle Assistant

Sometime magic can be real magic is fun to do and have fun at the some time do ?you on y it could be real
    tell me y do you like magic sometime I love magic a lot

bye........

4. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

Well that's the point magic tricks are fun, however they obviously are not real.

5. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

I'm sorry, what did you just say? I can't really understand your writing.

6. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Communication skills are a virtue. >_>

Anyway.

I don't think magic is real. Mostly because when we say magic, it's referring to movie "magic" (which we know is all special effects), magic tricks, or optical illusions.
    Magic tricks are just that. Tricks. A magician uses deception to make you focus on one thing, while the reality of the trick is taking place in, say, his other hand. So when he pulls his other hand out and says some catchphrase, an object will "appear".
    Optical illusions are also self-explanitory. They're illusions; tricks played on the mind. Which is why it's so "magical". If you've ever been to a fun house, usually there's a rotating tunnel you go through. The tunnel seems to be spinning, creating a dizzying effect, but in reality, only the walls are turning. Though your mind percieves this as the whole thing, platform and walls, turning.
    If there's anything remotely close to existing magic, it's the technique of hypnosis. This actually works, because (as much as I hate to admit it) I was hypnotized once. But still, that's not true magic, it's a state of mind.

7. awsomonium Merlin's Housekeeper

Well....most of it isn't spam

8. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

Ummmmmm no, his entire post was spam. Nothing intelligent at all in his post. Anyway, got any evidence yet?

9. Repliku Chaser

I am kind of torn on 'psychic abilities' since I do know I've had some awkward experiences myself with now and then seeing things that did come to pass ahead of time very vividly and there may also be some things with telekinesis out there. However, I can say I've certainly never been able to 'harness' anything and I think psychic abilities are very well blown out of proportion. Psychic fortune tellers and all that, I don't put any stock into even if at times they may be pretty accurate. I can play the game too by studying how someone sits, acts in front of me, and gives clues to their persona to 'predict' things about them and let cards or whatever do the rest and they can be sucked in to believe in it. It's pretty much all a scam to me.

There are some things with psychic abilities I ponder such as precognition and postcognition and perhaps telekinesis to some level, as well as people that can do feats with the 'mind over matter' philosophy but at the same time I don't see them as super human feats that they are often shown as and think a lot of it is just over the top and smart people stage things as easily as some people stage great magic tricks that play games on the eye. The difference is these people play tricks with your thought processes instead.

As far as the word magic goes, I'm still under the impression that it just means anything out of the ordinary that cannot yet be explained by science. As we experience more and learn things, mysteries become answerable and I'm pretty comfortable saying I don't know an answer while many other people seem willing to believe in something just to fill in a blank. It is like a normal human condition to put something in a void but it doesn't seem a necessity to me.

I really do want to see if people do however, have any proofs of magic in other ways, because I just haven't seen it even when exposed to occult occurrences and it isn't like I didn't try to see it. Those people just played it off as I had a strong and 'impenetrable' mind or some nonsense.

10. awsomonium Merlin's Housekeeper

no i mean this topic shouldn't be in the spam section, the guys post was span, yes, but not the topic

11. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

You guys, this isn't my section, but still, don't spam here. Just drop it. >_>;;

Anyway.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. Magic isn't real, but some states of mind can make it seem like magic is being used. Like hypnosis.

12. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

And with that, I believe a lock is in order. This thread has cause way too much unintelligent flaming.

13. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Alright, I'll get someone that can lock this.
    Till then, no one post here, okay?

14. Repliku Chaser

Alright, I'll go ahead and lock this. If there are any questions about it, go ahead and PM me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.