Could magic be real?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by awsomonium, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashwa <3 Hollow Bastion Committee

It doesn't have to be real. Just because you find it real doesn't neccessarily mean that everyone else needs to believe.

2. Cherry Berry Chaser

Hm... Until I have actually seen it for myself... I guess magic doesn't exist in my dictionary yet...

But I still hope I would be contradicted with solid evidence.... xDD

And I would personally think that people who cannot explain a few things would either call it a miracle or magic...So...

3. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

I believe that magic exists, possibly as a fundamental force like gravity, with its own particle. Humans probably could, at some point, use it, but we've became so addicted to technology that we've simply grown out of touch with it. There's a difference between trickery (magicians) and magic (actual sorcerors), though.

4. ~Misa-Chan~ Gummi Ship Junkie

I want to goo zee moon :O *points at moon*
    Well..I would just say that I believe that magic exists too.

5. SpazticFantaztic >:3 Kingdom Keeper

What I'm about to say is for the people who DO believe in magic ONLY.
    Magic is all around us, but not everyone knows how to get it. That's why there were Wizards in Medievel times, people who could use magic to help people when other people didn't know how to use magic. Magic hasn't exactly been proven real yet, scientists haven't just declared magic is real, but they have found out about things like magic and ghosts, and stated that they exist.
    If you believe in magic, than magic is real. If you don't and you wanna "see it to believe it" You'll never see it, therefore you won't believe it.

6. Wisdom Form Guy Hollow Bastion Committee

I agree with you.Not only has it been on stage,but has also happened in everyday life.

So when I think about it,magic is usually seen once a month.;)

7. Mirai King's Apprentice

Proof? Evidence? A tiny hint at the existence of these wizards? This "magic" was the beginning of simple medicinal practices. There was no magic. Just intelligent people telling the ignorant peasants that it was so they'd believe they'd heal them.

I'd like to see some proof for the claim that scientists have found out about magic and ghosts.

Also... that last part... so, if I believe that the world is made of cheese, it's made of cheese. YOU'RE LOGIC IS HORRIBLE! No amount of belief will change reality. No matter how much I believe the world is made of cheese, it won't change the fact that it's not.

Oh yeah, that's convenient. You can't see it unless you believe it.

On stage? To-ta-lly FAKE. The proverbial "smoke and mirrors!"

Also, where have you seen it in everyday life?

Good Lord, God, Jesus, Mary, Joseph, Mohamed, Buddha, Zeus, and Odin!

Use some logic people!

8. Ashwa <3 Hollow Bastion Committee

Actually no. Its been proven that if you believe in something strongly enough, your mind begins to believe it.
    Ex. A group were put in an old house built in the 1800's. The scientists took a history on the house and nothing had ever happened there that could be linked to 'ghosts'. However, the group of people were told that they were staying in a haunted house. The next day they complained of hearing/seeing things.

So, that logic process doesn't really work in my opinion.

9. Arc Kingdom Keeper

I have two things to say on this subject...

If someone wants to believe in it, who is anyone to tell them theyre not allowed to? and thats basically what your doing ヨシュア. You're essentially saying "I dont think this is real, so I'm going to make you not believe in it too" or at least thats the feel I get. And crushing someone else's beliefs is wrong, no matter what it is, in my opinion.

Second.

I believe it does exist to an extent. I believe everything in nature is magic in its own sense, not this wizard and spellcaster Final Fantasy shooting lightning and fire from your hands thing, no. BUT I do believe that every natural life, has a certain magic to them. Thats why we cant CREATE a person in a lab. it doesnt have that magic spark to it.

10. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

I dont Yoshua is saying that they cant believe in it...hes saying that if they do its totally, completely, no doubt about it, wrong...

there is a difference O.O;

True, its a bit harsh, but his point is totally valid.

11. Repliku Chaser

I understand what you mean but those 'wizards' of the past were alchemists and sleight of hand sorts, blending stuff together and it was a root form of early chemistry and also creating poltices, drug blends etc. Also finding out some rocks could kill a person because they are radioactive. Poisoning was popular, and some even used gunpowder for tricks or blending liquids to cause smoke or fires etc. There is no proof at all that magic as you describe with sorcery ever existed at all in science. I could do the exact same things these 'wizards' of the past did. In the end, I'm pretty sure these sorcerers you are describing were probably the early scientists and doctors of that time. Also, they were our stage magicians and once people figured out how some tricks worked, of course they had to up their game.

Now, ghosts are a bit different. There is some scientific research involved with examining the phenomenon of spirits and the energy they exhibit, etc. I don't really consider ghosts magic though but more a paranormal thing that we are checking out as can be done, along with other mysteries like lights that show up in the sky for no reason we know of or some creature lore that gets studied because people say they've seen them. I'm not sure even how ghosts equate to magic, let alone things like bigfoot, yeti, etc. Science does take ganders for evidence of them and what they do but this seems quite separate to me from 'magic'.

Part of what makes science what it is would be taking old claims and investigating them. Black and white magic such as with voodoo and old practices of occult have been studied by science. However, no one can seem to do the deeds they claim when watched. Also, as I said earlier, some tests conducted proved that unless another person knows he/she is cursed, nothing bad seems to happen and it could very well be that people lead themselves to misfortune because they believe in it so much. The same goes for those who claim to heal people and are using healing hands sorts of tricks. There is also a lot of drug use involved in supposed magic that causes people to hallucinate or to have symptoms etc of either getting better or worse. This is what science has uncovered so far and I've actually read up and partaken in some examinations involved about it. When you can explain things, they no longer are magic. It has an answer.

Things like how elements work, we can study on molecular level even. We can see how power is generated, how friction causes heat, how the movement of molecules being slowed causes cold, how compacting molecules of various sorts gives us 'solids' etc. These were things that were not known in the past. Some people in a way figured a few things out and called them magic, guarding their secrets but really, it was the beginning of understanding how things work. People truly seem to despise science but in essence those who don't miss out and call anything unusual as magic. I'm sure in time we will understand more of the human mind and energies we don't all comprehend and these too will be a part of something ordinary people can grasp and mess with in more profound ways than some do now. The point though is to take out the hocus pocus mumbo jumbo garbage and get to the root of why something is not known and examine it without the extra decorations. I am curious though what 'magic' you are saying scientists have examined and proven exists because if science says something actually exists, it really is no longer magic, but is examinable and fathomable. Could you give us some examples?

12. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

So magic is an idea then?

13. Mirai King's Apprentice

1) Intelligent discussion. I'm not telling him to not believe it. I know the First Amendment. This is a debate. If someone does not want their beliefs shot down, they should not post here.
    2) That's not magic in the sense that most of us mean. Why do you think that anyway? And, we CAN create a person in a lab. We just don't want to, as most of us (ironically, including me.) feel that that would be stepping on holy ground.

14. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

It's true, magic is the thing that connects all existance together. In my opinion I think of it as this:
    Imagine the sun, a red ball of gas, now imagine a blue version, a giant ball of infinite pure energy, posessing all life, death, time, space, nature, the base of everything, now imagine countless numbers of strings attached to it, these strings represent conections between everything I described.

That is basically my little look on life, death, everything. Just connected together.
    Or to put in a more undersandable version for people, it's the Force shown in Star Wars films. But I like my version better, it's pretty. :D

So my definition of magic is a connection between all existance, magic is real, but it can be called any number of things, The Force, Qi, Energy, Magic, all different name for the same thing.

15. Mirai King's Apprentice

This is a debate. In such a debate, the affirmative must provide proof of their claims.

Also, magic isn't what holds everything together; it's the strong and weak nuclear forces.

16. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

1) I just want to point out, this is NOT the debate corner.

2) Some of you had better start showing some respect for each other, whilst I agree that people should be using evidence or at least giving reasoning behind their ideas, that doesn't mean that just because someone doesn't have 50million sources on hand that their ideas are any less valid.

3) Even if this WAS in the debate section, people should not be ramming their ideas down the throats of others. You discuss, you do not yell. Some of the posts I am seeing are borderline flaming. Next post I see that goes that far will be getting a warning.

The existence of magic can not be proven one way or another, it is down to personal belief. I personally do believe that magic does exist on some level. I am not talking about the illusions and trickery of magicians and stage magic, but of other matters which as yet cannot be explained by science.

Anti is right, Magic is something that we cannot explain and understand, so we give it the title magic in order for it to make sense to us. I don't believe in magic as in fairydust and magic sparks and poofs of glitter and dust, but to me that isn't what magic is.

It all comes down to your definition of magic.

17. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I was only explaining as fully as I could in my belief and theory, it is just my viewpoint. Some people in this Section just say 'yeah, I believe in magic' and you'd want them to explain more, I was just doing that.

And magic is not a very 'evidence' heavy subject, magic itself it also a theory.

And whether thhe last part is true or not, I am not chnging my opinion, just saying.

18. Tveir Banned

I AM A WIZARD

I *** LIKE A TORNADO

also, magic isn't real
    I should know
    you know, what with being a wizard and all
    because wizards do magic

look it up

19. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

Flaw 1: I'll assume you mean scientists, as science can't study anything. Scientists are not, nor will they ever be, studying magic. Science is the study of the natural universe and pursuit of answers involving it.

Flaw 2: People that look for "magical energies" are 99 times out of 100 not in complete touch with reality. Their accounts on the matter of magic are not to be taken seriously most of the time.

Flaw 3: No sources sited? So you can't even provide us with the little "proof" you claimed to have?

Spam. Get out of the intelligent discussion area if you have nothing but unintelligent arguments such as this to contribute.

Thank God! Someone else here knows some chemsitry...

The interconnecting force you talk about, as Mirai said previously, is the strong and weak nuclear forces, one of the most basic connections in the universe, and the basis of all that is or ever will be in our reality.

I'm pretty sure that the essentially proven theory of nuclear fusion of hydrogen into helium being the power source of the sun is more valid than magical connections...

20. awsomonium Merlin's Housekeeper

Ok, just to clarify here i mean magic, being manipulation of existing elements using the mind. There are parts of the brain that humans have no idea what they do, these parts could be able to manipulate elements to do what the user wants. also to bring a new thing to the discussion, what are your beleifs about phychics, do you beleive them true or are you a skeptic?

not spam, people are talking about chemistry and stuff, thats intelligent discussion :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.