Could magic be real?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by awsomonium, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

THE BIBLE CANNOT BE USED AS EVIDENCE!

*facepalmtotheEXTREME*

You need indisputable evidence to prove that magic is real. The Bible is not confirmed to be entirely false or true, therefore any arguments that you could derive from it are basically invalid unless you are proving something about the Bible itself, or about the culture of the time period the Bible was recorded in. Regardless, its far from proof in this case!

*breathes*

Yea sorry for that. I just get mad when people try to use religious texts to prove something about the natural world...

Hehe, thank you ^_^.

EDIT: Also, returning to the argument in my other post, it is completely, 100%, undeniably impossible to prove something supernatural by natural means. Science could never prove magic real or fake, because the whole point of magic is to surpass science's limitations. Therefore, you can't use scientific theorems and laws to prove something like magic exists because magic does not follow the laws of science.

2. Mirai King's Apprentice

Face, meet desk. Desk, face. *slam*

*throws science books at everyone*

Okay. First off, magic DOES NOT exist, at least not the usual definitions. For example, a stage performer. He is using tricks of the mind and eye to make people believe his tricks are truly magic. If these tricks were proven to be magic, and therefore unexplainable by scientific means, then I'd think the scientific would look into it more.

Also, on the "undetected energy" topic, it doesn't make any sense. What is the properties of this energy? If this magical energy really existed, why haven't the performers got down off the stage and the limelight and use this "power" for good and not filling their pockets?

Ki is not said to be used for "magic."

And, as Apocalypse says, it is impossible to prove something supernatural. If we could, it wouldn't be magic.

*rubs brow.*

Aye, aye, aye. The scientific knowledge of this forum is appalling.

3. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

Thank you. People shouldn't talk about energy until they've taken chemistry or physics, in which case they would realize that energy doesn't come in particles >_> (not including that whole photons discussion, waves v.s. particles)... Hopefully this very unintelligent discussion can be taken out of the intelligent discussion section...

4. Chevalier Crystal Princess

black magic irl= people who do rituals, and ect, in fact, this power can be harnessed, not recommended though

white magic irl=miracles, ect.

both of this "magics" do the same thing , in fact the only difference is the methods

you see, miracles cannot be performed by people, at least not anymore

but black magic, anyone can expirience, this is the things people call "occult"

5. Aura Goddess

I'm in between about it.It could exist but also it might not.If it does exist then show me proof.The reason why I'm in between is because I have seen a friend perform magic but I saw several things that I was able to see that shows that magic isn't real.But there were other tricks that I was amazed by and I couldn't figure it out.

6. Mirai King's Apprentice

... *facedeskfacedeskfacedeskfacedeskfacedesk*

AAARGH!

*ahem*

Can you please provide for this... claim (at the very best)?

If people can really do this stuff, why haven't we harnessed it for good or even realized its existence?

7. Chevalier Crystal Princess

okay

first off

if you want to prove it you should try it out

go ahead start messing with "occult" things

and secondly

i have seen these things

these things are very dangerous

but, why take my word?

you should try it yourself, you want prove right?

no, but now, on a more serious tone, please

its dangerous.

8. Mirai King's Apprentice

So, the only way to prove it is to do it?

You've seen these things?

If these things have been proven without a shadow of a doubt, why hasn't science got into to it and studied?

9. Chevalier Crystal Princess

well, you have a point

you see, why would they?

its no source of energy or something XDD

yes,ive seen it, not a good sight, so yea.....

10. Mirai King's Apprentice

It does not matter what it is; if it exists, it needs to be studied.

Can you give us an example? Enlighten us.

11. Repliku Chaser

I really am not one to believe in 'black magic' and 'white magic' stuff really as most of the time both use drugs, rituals and various things to induce behaviors.

Also, some people have tried to use 'black magic' on me or others giving them 'curses'. For example, this one kid who was 2 years older than me cursed me and two friends. The two friends insisted things were happening to them that I pointed out were regular just clumsy occurrences. Nothing bad happened to me that I couldn't rationally explain and I just laughed at the kid and told him to do his worst because I wasn't seeing it.

A person in a satanic cult tried to make me turn around and 'feel the power' from behind as he was doing some kind of mental strain. I felt nothing of the power at all, however another person who was more inclined to believe did.

There are rituals in voodoo that are done and people believe in them such as someone putting curses on another person or doing some death thing. The mind is a powerful thing and if people are inclined to believe in it, sometimes they seem to make the things come true. Just for knowledge though, if no one in these studies 'knew' that he/she was cursed, there were no reactions, of course. The same thing can be seen for most 'miracles' in Christianity too. The miracle of prayer for example was analyzed and there were people who were in the hospital. A list of the patients was given to a few churches to pray for the people. A list of people went to not being prayed for. Half the list of the patients on the 'prayer' lists were not told they were being prayed for and the other half were informed. The test results ended that people who were not told did about the same as those who were not on any prayer list and that those who were prayed for either did worse in some cases or did better which shows that a person's mind has something to do with improvement or worsening, doesn't it?

So in the end, I just term 'magic' as that which is unknown at this time by science. Once it is figured out, it becomes a part of knowledge and the mystery is up. There are unanswered questions out there I will not profess but in many cases I think those that aren't raised to 'fantasy' levels by people that really want to believe, can be comprehended.

12. SpazticFantaztic >:3 Kingdom Keeper

If you want proof, try going back to the archives of Salon.com to 2005. Also, that Bible evidence was NOT my Evidence. That was posted by Twilight's Rose, so don't be yelling at me about it. Also, it was proven by science that there are unexplained phenomenon like magic and science.

13. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

*facedesk*
    *facedesk*
    *facedesk*
    *facedesk*

You people are killing me. Magic has no proof of existing at all.

First, sorry about the yelling. I've been stressed and the idea seemed too far fetched... Regardless, it's no excuse for me to yell. This supposed to be intelligent.

And when scientists find out about unexplained phenomenon (i.e. black hole formation, gravity etc.) they by no means would theorize magic to be behind it. Yes, scientists admit that there are things they can't explain, and yes, I would be willing to listen to an argument supporting the existence of magic if it had proof. The arguments posted here were all based on "theories" involving magic proposed by witch doctors from centuries ago in underdeveloped areas of the world. Sorry, your argument has no proof and no base. I need stronger documented proof than that site you gave me which gave me no proof whatsoever. As far as I could tell, it was just a news site.

14. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

Magic is not real. What determines it? Doing the unexplainable? I'm not saying everything has a definiton and reason, but in a worldly sense and not just our own understanding, everything does have a definiton and reason. I hope you understand that.

15. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

Thank God it's not just me, Repliku and Mirai who get this.

16. AntiWeapon Chaser

Think of it this way, if we went back in time to the medieval days and started strolling down the street listening to my ipod, playing with my phone, and had one of those weird belt things that has little lcd messages on them, chances are Id be caught and killed under the suspicion of doing magic, then theyd take a whif at what was blasting out of my earphones and determined my rock music is some satanic message, in other words, 'Magic' is something people just can't explain.

If some dude walked up to you took a book out of his bag let it go in mid air and didn't fall, what would you think? I know I would think 'magic' straight up in my head, but maybe its some secret nasa experiment out of something they just discoverd. Who knows?

17. {feel.the.wrath} Hollow Bastion Committee

I might sound stupid, but I believe so. Like, some sort of channel in the brain we haven't accessed. I dunno how to explain it, but it could possibly be real. I'm a big fantasizer though.
    .................................................................................................................(^spelled right?^)

18. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

Very good analogy. My thoughts exactly.

19. awsomonium Merlin's Housekeeper

I think magical energy influences basic elements. e.g. concentrating heat and air in one place to create fire, the magical energy would take the place of fuel, thus creating combustion.

Science is studying it, i looked around on the internet and found that some people are looking for magical energies. I'd post the links but i can't be bothered to go find the websites again.

20. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

No...Fire, or heat energy occurs when the temperature between molecules is raised. As you may know, as a state of matter gets hotter the molecules making up that matter start to move faster and faster eventually smashing into eachother. Once they do, energy is released in the form of heat. Its the way our sun works. A huge, extremely LONG explosion of Hydrogen and Helium elements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.