Traditional Art Cosplay props

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by Korra, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

yikes what a creative title

Anyway, I'm making this for a very good friend of mine - Rayku here - for his male Maka (this is evidently canon?) cosplay for NYCC/AF this year. First time doing anything this large, only others I've done were two knives and modding some Nerf guns.
    I've never watched/read Soul Eater but from the specifications he told me this scythe is ****ing huge so yeah. :'D

WIP shots:
    For size comparison, I'm 5'4". :B
    [​IMG]

Decided to make it disassembleable...collapsible, whatever, for easy transport. It breaks down into three pieces.
    [​IMG]

Cut out the blade piece, pre-sanding.
    [​IMG]

Result of last night's work (minus the dog toy, she dropped that there as I took the picture).
    [​IMG]

Progress as of about 20 minutes ago.
    [​IMG]

All I have left to do is further secure the blade, then prime and paint it. I'll probably be finished tonight or tomorrow, not bad considering I started yesterday.
    Cut the smaller PVC pipes with a hacksaw then cut the blade out of a piece of plywood with a jigsaw (as well as the larger pipe), sanded the blade by hand, then assembled it.
    And yes that is the same set of clothes, they're my work clothes for this project because there is literally sawdust everywhere.

Cnc, etc.

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

Wolfie, you never cease to amaze me.

Anyway, what I like about these is how got every detail on the scythe correct. It's the exact same shape as a scythe from, say, a cartoon, and it looks like it's really sharp, although I bet it isn't.

Paint it black, and you could be the next Grim Reaper. XD

Also, this is the first I've seen real photos of you. You look nice. :)

3. Droid Hollow Bastion Committee

ZOMG it's Wolfie.

I'm sure Soul would love being a pipe, but this pretty awesome. After you've colored the scythe it should look just like Soul.
    I like how you made it collapsable too, trying to fit that in a car if it wasn't would be interesting(love to see a cops reaction to that on the highway...).

And you think you'll have it almost completed by tonight? Impressive.

4. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

Wolfie You so pretty :D

Me being a big Soul Eater fan that is a really cool look-alike. Yes that thing is huge xD

It really does look alot like Soul xD I can't wait to see the finished version!

5. Kayate King's Apprentice

This is really good! The scythe is indeed really large, and I believe you have it done pretty well. The shape of the blade is very accurate as well; I'm sure that Soul (Whom is the main character, and morphs into the Scythe for Maka to use) would be very proud.

6. Llave Superless Moderator

Hmm... never saw the show either but it does look good. I would love to see the end result.

I can't make things like that, just not talented enough lol. I like how you made it collapsible, that will make it easier to put in the car or whatnot. The blade looks really insecure, but like you said you are working on that.

I like it, It sure is coming along nicely. Be you keep us posted.

7. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

It does have a bit of an "edge" to it; I sanded it to taper off towards the bottom as a scythe actually would just to give it more form.
    The tip's a bit sharp too so I'll probably round that out today for safety.

Thanks, lol.

aw yeah

Yeah, that was one of my concerns, considering that the five-foot pole I used as a base barely fit in the back of my car. >> Plus there's always doorways, small spaces, etc. you have to worry about at cons so this just made it a lot easier overall. xD

I think I'll definitely finish tonight, I primed and began painting last night but I started getting dizzy from the fumes oops 8D

Aw thank you. xD

One thing I had an issue was balancing the size with the weight...in the end, it's a bit on the top-heavy side, but the PVC holds together very well.
    Definitely will post a finished version when I can. :]

Ah, thanks for confirming that. I was only using a handful of references so yeah. xD;;

I'm still pretty new to prop making, a lot of this was pure luck that it worked out. xD
    But I've learned from some mistakes I've made in the past, like how hard it is to work with plywood, what kind of paint not to use, etc. As with any other form of art it just takes practice y'know?

The blade is actually pretty snug, took a bit of time to measure everything to get it that way but it could do without anything further. My only concern is what happens at cons, there's been so many horror stories of crazed fans breaking props and stuff so I'd rather not take that chance.

Anyway, some progress from last night. Lighting's not great because it was like 10:30 at night oops.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Llave Superless Moderator

Hahaa Indeed!

yeah you gotta be careful of others, i think that would be the biggest concern. (Some people are just down-right crazy...)

I like how it's turning out thus far, very nice. Keep it up and i'd love to see the finnished product. It always feels good after you make something you're proud of, right? Hahaa good job!

9. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Finally finished up around midnight last night. These pictures aren't the best because I was pretty much ready to drop, but they'll do for now.

Once again barely conscious but here's the full thing.
    [​IMG]

Full shot of the scythe.
    [​IMG]

Scythe head.
    [​IMG]

I need to touch up on a few things today, but it's pretty much done.

10. ♥♦♣♠∟uxord♥♦♣♠ Banned

Amazing that you made this. It looks so much like the one in the manga. Will you be going as well and if you are what will you be going as?

11. Droid Hollow Bastion Committee

Dang Wolfie...that's freakin amazing. I mean it looks exactly like soul, you even got the eye part right.
    If I ever go galavanting around with a scythe, I'd want to use that one. xD

12. Always Dance Chaser

Wow, I am freaking jelly. How much will I have to pay you to make Kid's guns?

13. Llave Superless Moderator

Ahh the finished product is simply stunning! I do like how it turned out! It looks real, and exactly like in the manga.

You do a good job at making such things. I actually would love to see more items you create in the future, that would be great!

14. Daxa~ #stalker

Oh wow.
    This is so epic looking.
    Like really.
    I am very impressed with how good it looks,and the colours are really really nice...all bright and prettyful~
    And lol its so tall. So tall.
    But really good job,and that you made in it that amount of time is very impressive.
    I want itttt

15. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Yep, I'll be there definitely Saturday and maybe Friday. Hoping to get my Korra cosplay done for the Friday, but my main will be Katniss from The Hunger Games (not a great picture but oh well lol).
    Thank you, I actually almost didn't finish it last night but I came up with a way to make the paint dry faster.
    [​IMG]

Hm well...if you really want me to make them I'm not sure, I've not really thought about commissions yet but if you're serious, send me a PM and we'll talk. :]

Thank you!
    I'm actually gonna make this into a prop thread where I'll post all the stuff I do, so here's stuff I've done in the past.

Haha, thank you. :]
    It ended up not being too heavy, considering how much I thought it'd be.

Anyway, other stuff I've done.
    Mandalorian shield
    [​IMG]

Knives (for Katniss cosplay)
    [​IMG]

16. Dinny I am Anime ( ⚈้̤͡ ◡ ⚈้̤͡ )

This is super impressive, Wolfie.
    I hope one day I could do the same, I always wanted to create cosplay items. I would love to create costumes and props in the future, and your props are outstanding! With what I've seen so far, the scythe is probably my favourite! It looks super pro, and the finish is really great. And the working process was just impressive and inspiring. It's really great. I also love the Katniss knives. It's really great looking. I would love to have them, haha. Plus, it's freaking Katniss. I love her, I want to be her. The shield is very good too. I don't recognize it though, but that's just me. I like how the scythe is painted the most, though, in comparison with the shield.
    Though, still, excellent and impressive work. I am so inspired to not give up on that little dream of making my own one day. Ha ha

17. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

Thank you. :]
    Yeah, I'm really excited for the New York ComiCon/Anime Festival, that's where I'll be cosplaying her. xD
    I'm seriously thinking of doing commissions, so if you do want knives like that it probably wouldn't be expensive at all since they're about 7-8" long and made from wood. Let me know if you're interested. :]
    Ah, the shield is painted with the symbol of the Mandalorian soldiers from Star Wars. I've been thinking of doing a Medieval Boba Fett or something. The shield was done before the scythe and I learned how to use spray paint more effectively in the time between, lol. Definitely don't give up on wanting to make stuff though, even if it seems like you've got no idea what you're doing (I've been there many times) keep pushing through and you'll likely end up with a result you like. And even if you don't, you know what to do differently next time.
    If you do decide to start making props and costumes I'd love to see them.

Here's another thing I did, one of the modded Nerf guns I mentioned earlier. Added a lot of stuff, cut off part of the original barrel and put the black fixtures on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Been a while since I posted here, but I think I'm going to end up turning this into a log of my cosplay stuff in general. I'm not sure where else I'd move it since we don't have a Hobbies section anymore, lol.
    Prop wise, I'm working on updating some things and building new ones - I already know I'm going to end up with two versions of the Master Sword (one for my Toon Link and the other for Skyward Sword Link), Kyouko's spear (from Madoka), Skyward Sword Zelda's Goddess Harp, Cloud's Buster Sword, Oki's mask (Okami), and various blasters for my Mandalorian.

Lots of stuff, but 2012 has only just started.
    Costumes I've completed are as follows: Tifa (Advent Children), Holo (Spice & Wolf), Katniss (Hunger Games), Toon Link (Wind Waker/Spirit Tracks), and Oki (Okami).
    Works in progress are Korra (Legend of Korra), Mandalorian (Star Wars), and Dragon Kid (Tiger & Bunny). SS Link is being considered.
    I don't have time or space to work on this stuff during college, so they are all things I'll be doing on breaks or weekends when I'm home.

So here's some pictures.
    Katniss (current "active" costume)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bow and arrows
    [​IMG]

Toon Link
    [​IMG]
    Sword, sheathe, and shield will definitely be reinforced, if not remade entirely. Probably will get a new wig too.

WIP - Mandalorian
    [​IMG]
    The main costume of this year. My goal is to be approved as an official Mandalorian Mercs member before Celebration VI this August and be able to troop with them there.

18. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

casually bumps again
    Got home around noon Friday, finished up work on this in about six hours (not counting dry time for epoxy).

Cutting process
    [​IMG]

Preliminary sanding
    [​IMG]

Attempted test fit
    [​IMG]

Slightly more helpful test fit
    [​IMG]

Painting
    [​IMG]

Finished paint job
    [​IMG]

I tried using hot glue to attach it to the harness but it wouldn't stick so it was back to the E6000 epoxy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cnc welcome etc.